Caterham Clays

-Mongrel-

It can be very good, the landscape is absolutely first rate for showing sporting birds. It does itself few favours in terms of car parking and loo facilities but to be fair it is not a shooting school, just a bit of land used for clays about once or twice a month so you can't expect heavy investment. Walkways in some parts can be a little narrow and slippery.

The last two shoots have been poor for my liking, it seems they've lost touch with reality a bit in places as they seem to try and beat you with distance but as I said it can be very good so maybe those were just one off's.

Wonder if that had anything to do with the fact that George Digweed shot the last one?

It's true standards have never been as high, unless you throw everything between 40-60 yards then quite a few people are capable of shooting 90+. But high standards don't mean you can start testing the effectiveness of cartridges as opposed to shooters. :)

Indeed. Southdown seem to have struck the balance fairly well so it CAN be done, you just wonder if it's not knowing how to set up a clay to make it more testing, or laziness?

Absolutely. It's a combination of both, the last registered shoot there featured a stand with 8 repeat single going away teal with a break point of well over 60 yards, and it was near enough edge on :blush: . This should have been the second bird of a combo with a killable first bird to stop 2 out of 3 shooters blanking the stand. :oops:

Absolutely. It's a combination of both, the last registered shoot there featured a stand with 8 repeat single going away teal with a break point of well over 60 yards, and it was near enough edge on :blush: . This should have been the second bird of a combo with a killable first bird to stop 2 out of 3 shooters blanking the stand. :oops:

I have to agree re Caterham, I shot it on New Years Day with you, at least they didn't have the raphael pair of silly distant teals when the average for AA\AAA was maybe 3\4 ex 8. After the car park, stupid targets on more than one stand, the walkways, the refreshments having disappeared by the time we finished let's just say I won't be going back any time soon.

Jon.