Decoying pigeons onto wheat

Stratts

Hi guys bit of noob advice needed if you please?!

I sat in the corner of a wheat field the farmer has asked me to shoot where the bunnies are attacking the wheat shoots and noticed a lot of pigeon activity flying around overhead. There are lots of trees scattered around the adjacent land and I could definitely (for the 1st time really!) notice a flight line or 2 near where I was sitting.

Question is if I set up a decoy pattern and magnet on the wheat, would they be likely to come in to it? I've only seen the odd bird on the wheat field and am not sure if it's something they actually eat?

I know it's probably a case of giving it a go but if it's unlikely to work I'd rather not waste my time!

What do you reckon?

Cheers

PS

Done a bit of a mock up of the land so you can see what I'm trying to say!! :good:

post-24909-0-41030900-1332236552.jpg

Edited by Stratts

The wheat crop is of no interest to the pigeons in terms of being a food source.

They eat the grain not the leaves as a rule. It is possible that you could slow them down or divert them enough to get a few shots. I would be more inclined to hoist a few deeks into the trees and sit underneath.

I would be wary of doing it though as (if I don't say it someone else will!) it would not be within the terms of the general license regarding crop protection unless you know they are feeding on a crop in the vicinity.

But then, neither is roost shooting or flight-lining :hmm:

GH

The wheat crop is of no interest to the pigeons in terms of being a food source.

They eat the grain not the leaves as a rule. It is possible that you could slow them down or divert them enough to get a few shots. I would be more inclined to hoist a few deeks into the trees and sit underneath.

I would be wary of doing it though as (if I don't say it someone else will!) it would not be within the terms of the general license regarding crop protection unless you know they are feeding on a crop in the vicinity.

But then, neither is roost shooting or flight-lining :hmm:

GH

They are all classed as crop protection, because as we all know, the pigeons would be eating someones crops at some point.

The pigeons could be coming to eat the clover growing in the field, however there is much clover every where so the pigeon are more than likely to go else where. When the wheat field is cut and the grains are on the floor will be the true decoying time (especially the day after the harvets) but be careful for workers in the field at the time :o

I have seen people make a pigeon hanger out of a coat hanger using the hook o secure to a branch. I never have had any success with decoys in trees but that might just be my farm layouts/locations!

Worth a try. I've shot quite a lot of pigeons on wheat and barley crops that have just started to shoot (grow in this context). There is a flight line over a wood and a couple of nice oak sitty trees they use. They don't feed on green fields of wheat or barley but will decoy on to it. Don't bother with a whirlie gig it'll only shy the birds off. Try about a dozen deeks in cradles well clear of the crop, forget it if you have over 4 inch of crop.

If there are trees close by a couple of lofters will help. These days everyone uses Lofting Poles but we used to get on well enough with some 15lb fishing line and a 6oz lead. Bung it to the highest branch and hoist the decoy, is the broad brush principle.

Edited by Whitebridges

I've shot quite a few nice bags over green winter wheat fields, we had a couple of 30+ days a fortnight ago over this.

They are NOT eating the wheat seed or chickweed or any other weeds, their eating old TATTIES!!!! :yes:

It's quite common for wheat to follow on from potatoe crops and they often only disc the soil before sowing, this leaves lots of small tatties on the surface and at this time of the year they are all rotten, allowing the pigeons to pick at and eat this high energy food.

Cheers,

Mark.

I've shot quite a few nice bags over green winter wheat fields, we had a couple of 30+ days a fortnight ago over this.

They are NOT eating the wheat seed or chickweed or any other weeds, their eating old TATTIES!!!! :yes:

It's quite common for wheat to follow on from potatoe crops and they often only disc the soil before sowing, this leaves lots of small tatties on the surface and at this time of the year they are all rotten, allowing the pigeons to pick at and eat this high energy food.

Cheers,

Mark.

Interesting MR. I appreciate pigeon love the old spuds but I can't say i've ever seen leftovers taatters on new crops this far south.

This question often comes up...... Pigeon dont feed on growing wheat shoots, but they will feed on chickweed, clover or any edible weed they find. I've had many good days on the crop, but don't expect big bags.... best i've managed is 35...... and unfortunately none of my farms ever grew potatoes.. so i've never had the benifit of that.

If the birds are using the flightline and you put out a good decoy pattern, they should come close enough to have a look and hopefully be in range of your gun.... even if they don't want to land.

Dave

i wouldnt rely on the wheat bringing the birds in get on that flight line put out plenty of moving decoys flapper,rotary and if nothing else theyll come in for a little look ive got some pasture i shoot over, right under a good flight line they drop in all day to have a look at the rotary

This question often comes up...... Pigeon dont feed on growing wheat shoots, but they will feed on chickweed, clover or any edible weed they find. I've had many good days on the crop, but don't expect big bags.... best i've managed is 35...... and unfortunately none of my farms ever grew potatoes.. so i've never had the benifit of that.

If the birds are using the flightline and you put out a good decoy pattern, they should come close enough to have a look and hopefully be in range of your gun.... even if they don't want to land.

Dave

I would agree with MK38, I shot yesterday over recently drilled wheat and the birds either diverted for a look or came into the pattern over a peroid of 5hrs or so.

Not a massive bag for the day but definitely worthwhile.