Flapper`s not flapping

Guest flightline

Guest flightline

Bought a home-made dead bird flapper and added an on/off switch. Used it for first time on Sunday and the battery (which is new, 12v 7amp and fully charged before starting) ran down fully after about 11/2hrs. I think it was the volts drop occasioned by the 25m 3 core lead to the hide, where I also had the battery. What did I do wrong and how can I enable the flapper just to flap when I want it to? Any advice appreciated.

Flightline,

I tried to extend the cable on my rotor so I could turn it on and off while in the hide.

I used speaker cable...about 30 metres of it. The rotor slowed down considerably due to the extra resistance in the cable.

Could this be what is taking all the power out of your battery ?

Actually I only get about 40 mins on my rotor with one of those batteries you mentioned.......are you expecting too much of the battery ?

What sort of time out of these batteries would anyone else expect on a flapper or rotor please ?

I use a 12v 7amp batterie on my rota,it will work for 2 1/2 to 3 hours take 2 days to charge.You would need to talk to an electrician,i cant see why you couldn't fit a timer(like those fitted to windscreen wipers on cars)you could have it go every 30seconds or so.

Guest flightline

Hi Sniper. I get 5 or 6 hrs plus out of this battery with my rotor. I`m pretty sure it`s the extra resistance from the cable that`s causing the problem, though it`s possible it`s the flapper causing a big drain of current, of course. Please keep the ideas coming guys and thanks to those who`ve replied already. :beer:;) B)

Have the battery in your hide with spade end connectors, have one connected and touch the other connector as when required. i use to do that all the time befor i bought a timer unit which i can run two flappers and two peckers at the same time. with the timer unit no need for a long cable.