Mixy Rabbits

Hammergun

This post is for the benefit of Red Stag and the others who wanted to know how to check for mixy.

This is the last mixy rabbit I shot in June. It was hopping about and didn't seem to notice me creeping up on it. In fact I was able to get really close before I shot it. See also next post.

post-11-1059585665.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

There haven't been any really bad cases of mixy round here for some time like you describe, I presume because the rabbits are getting more resistant to it. This one is typical, and you can't always tell until you cut them open. It was a young bunny developing mixy and its eyes had started to turn. However, it was obviously mixy when I cut it open, as you can see here.

Anyway, humans can't catch mixy, so you needn't worry!

Cheers mate, I was shooting the other day and saw some mixies (puffy eyes poor blighters), but the two I shot were OK inside and their eyes were fresh. I think its the warm weather which has made the mixie prevalent again, before this the shoot had been mixie free all year.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Up by me its getting quite bad as most of the rabbits i've shot have mixy. I reckon the population is going to get hammered pretty hard this year in terms of mixy. But its still a good chance to put your rifle or shotgun to good use and shoot as many as possible. I was out on Monday night and shot 6 (4 were mixy) with my shotgun. Never thought of bringing it along before becuase i thought they would all **** off as soon as I had fired a shot! Plus was getting bored with the rimfire as I've been using it on rabbits since last August when i got it. So again it was great to get out with the shotgun and put some cartridges through it.

But to cut it short I reckon the mixy is going to be pretty prevelent this year.

Cheers.

gb.

Any excess bunny meat I have I usually prepare for the springers-are mixy rabbits a complete no no for them ??

I come across alot of very heavily infected rabbits more recently.... stronger disease strains?

Its a disease which is only affects rabbits.

Rabbit meat in the early stages is perfectly safe for dogs if its properly cooked However Skinners Field and Trial is cheap enough. :)

In a obtuse sort of way we are not doing the colonies any favours by shooting the infected animals as some would inevitably survive to pass on a degree of immunity. One of the colonies I shoot ( 500 plus bunnies per 25 acres ) regularly has minor outbreaks each spring when the rabbit fleas are most active but have built up an heredetory immunity over the last 25 years.

FM.

The only problem with mixy is that its a biological induced pathogenic disease which means that it mutates like the flu virus they make a jab for it one year and by the next year they have to have a diffrent one to tackle the new strain it works the same with mixy it mutates so years later emune rabbits will catch it again

500 plus bunnies per 25 acres

Thats one heck of a lot of wabbits, what kind of land is it?

The land I've got has sone large groups of holes, in about a 5yd radius of the center, never see anythig come out or go in but there is loads of manure....

I was shooting last weekend over Westerdale and my shoot is riddled with mixy.

They were everywhere; I couldn’t walk fifty yards without passing dead ones on the floor so I decided to leave all the good ones and wipe out as many as I could.

I don’t normally take young ones but I was putting them out of their misery so I left feeling that I had done a good job.

What Mike said does make a good point but I couldn’t leave them once they were in the scope.

I’m sure the dreaded disease will be gone for the winter harvest.

The PM

i have 4 farms that join each other and one of them was riddled with mixy over the winter months. It seems to have cleared now all you see is good healthy bunnies, this outbreak just seemed to affect one farm and then only 2 fields.

Its queer how it affects rabbits in one field and not in the one next door. the other 3 farms have not had a problem with mixy in the 3 years ive been shooting them.

Mike

500 plus bunnies per 25 acres

Thats one heck of a lot of wabbits, what kind of land is it?

The land I've got has sone large groups of holes, in about a 5yd radius of the center, never see anythig come out or go in but there is loads of manure....

its mixed pastureland woodland and riverbank..

Only last year we (Two friends and I longnetted it and caught 78 over two days ) and the local keeper ferreted the pasture the other side of the river and took exactly 100 from a area no bigger than 5 acres!

When I go lamping during the week I regularly see 200 plus bunnies in one field alone.

This area has had a very healthy population since I was a small lad.