Day on the pigeon with Fenny

Colc08

post-36234-0-47967300-1332410202.jpg

I was lucky enough to have the opportunity to have a day out on the pigeon with Fenny and a couple of other PW members on Tuesday (20th March). I arrived at Fenny's place shortly before 9am and had the pleasure of meeting fletcher1234565 and blubar who were already there. We all popped in and had a quick cuppa had a chat about the day’s plans and then set off to a couple of freshly drilled fields that Fenny had been watching.

As we arrived at the fields it was clear to see that there was a huge amount of birds in the area and the potential of a good day was evident. fletcher1234565 and myself were dropped off at the first field, given some valued advice by Fenny and off we set along ditch to find ourselves suitable positions to set up.

Fenny and blubar set off and were soon set up in an adjacent field. As we walked along the ditch both pigeons and corvids were lifting off the field in large numbers and heading back to the close by woods. I headed up to the corner of the field and constructed my hide under a bush on the side of the ditch and set out around 18 decoys. I'd got myself into a great little spot and within ten minutes of being back in my hide the pigeons began to trickle out of the trees to my left and swing in to my pattern over my left had shoulder. Any birds that overshot my pattern were going along the ditch and along with the other birds that were heading into his decoys, were given giving fletcher1234565 some shooting.

A steady stream of shots were being heard from behind where blubar and Fenny were set up so it was good to see that everyone was getting a share of the spoils. Fenny popped along to see that we were all OK and we all arranged to be packed up for 4pm so we can head over to the woods for a bit of roosting.

We drove down the where the woods were situated and blubar was dropped off at a wood on the left hand side, Fenny stayed in the middle wood whilst fletcher1234565 and myself headed off over to a larger wood in front of us. As we wondered through the first wooded area there were literally thousands of pigeons in the trees around us, some tall poplar trees to our left and in the main wood where we were heading. As we walked across Fenny dropped as high pigeon to our right and that kind of set the standard as it was a cracking shot.

We all had shooting once again on the roost and once packed up by about 6:30pm we all met back at the cars with smiles on our faces and a decent bag of birds to be counted up. With the birds layed out, counted and the trophy shot taken we reflected on the day’s events and I think I can speak for us all when I say it was an absolutely cracking days shooting, and all thanks to Fenny. :good:

The final bag was -

50 Pigeons

10 Corvids

+ 1 group of happy shooters :D

If you’re lucky enough to get the chance to have a day out with Fenny then I'd advise you to take it! Listen to his advice, load your gun and have some fun!

Fenny is a top bloke and I am already looking forward to another trip in the not so distant future.

:good:

Colc08,

Great write-up, I whole heartedly agree with your comments regarding Fenny's ability to provide a "cracking days shooting" I know he'll be really pleased to hear that we all enjoyed the day, I certainly did! :good::good: Just need to find the recipe book and get ready to enjoy some of the bag tomorrow evening. :lol:

ATB, Rob.

Great write up col.

I don't think i can top that.

So i will just leave it to you for the main write up.

Fenny i would just like to say a big thanks for a tremendous day out.

If anyone gets the chance, don't hesitate to go.

Superb groundwork and experience from Fenny put us right in the middle of the pigeons all day.

Just to add it was the first time i had ever been roost shooting, i only managed to get one in the roost but the pigeons were coming in high and fast and made for a extremely exciting and hectic couple of hours

All in all everyone was absolutely chuffed with the day.

Great shooting and good company from fellow PW members.

Col,Bluebar,Fenny, take it easy lads, maybe our paths may cross again in the near future.

Cheers Fletch

Edited by fletcher1234565