...just watched the Police attacked by dog

huntsman

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh my god! That's terrible! I'm having mixed feelings about this though, part of me feels for the copper who the dog was latched onto and another part of me can't understand why they didn't get it sorted more quickly. I couldn't stand and watch that and the guy being bitten was in as good a position so sort it as anyone.

If a dog bites your arm you use it to your advantage. Push across and down on it to make it side step - you'll most likely be able to force it to fall over sideways. If your other arm is still functioning then grabbing it's far front leg from underneat it really helps. Once it's lead on it's side you fall to your knees on it's ribs. That in an ideal world results in broken ribs, punctured lungs and a dog that's in no fit shape to fight. It will most likely kill it. At the very least you force it into a position of submission where it doesn't have the dexterity to get up even if it wants to so the only damage it can do is to what it already has hold of.

I play fight with every large dog I know and use this tactic (well the first bit at least). I haven't found a dog yet that I can't bowl over like a small child and pin it down. I simply make it a fun game and hold it rather than fall on it but the basic skill of getting it over and on the floor is now second nature. I've done it to Boxers, Alsations, Dobermans, Labs - all sorts. If I was in pain I think it would be my natural reaction because I know it works. Trying to back away will never solve anything.

Perhaps it helps that I've always reacted well to bad situations? I don't know why but I don't get all crazy when things go wrong. If something hurts me I'll sort it, if you leap out from behind something and surprise me I'll grab you rather than jump? I have no idea why I react that way but it's got me out of some horrible situations in the past! :look:

oooooooooo, do you wear your undies over your trousers ??????

Seriously the police reactions were laughable, it was hardly horrific...... unpleasant but not exactly bloodfest was it. That copper who climbed on the wall and the fat knacker who walked away should be sacked for dereliction of duty. Truly pathetic

Theres some disturbing people out there who are in need of a wake up call,Dangerous dogs mean what it says on the tin,I have been mauled by a rotty and another time by a doberman,But these pit bull dogs and all there x breeds are a recipe for disaster compared to what I have experienced.

Whether or not the owner cuddles up on the sofa and the kids stoke them,these pit bulls need to be culled.Society does not need a dog that can create so much injury,these aren't pet pooches they are bred to KILL.

But then again there are lots of other breeds that can do the same,heres some of them Japanese Tosa Inu, (never heard of it)

I wonder how many have actually read some of the reports in the papers as so much of the speculations on here have been reported.

For instance, the dog had been reported to the council who in turn contacted the police but no action was taken. This was a year ago so definitely a lack of planning as the dogs presence should have been known.

Marksmanship, 4 shots taken.

Reported that police used a shotgun.

I'm not a dog handler but work with them a lot and can add a bit to this.

First off I carry CS and this does not work on dogs. Don't know why but it has been tested and it just does not work. Pepper spray does and some forces have changed over to it. There are pros and cons with both. Tasers work a treat and that's a good reason to carry them.

For those who want to criticise the planning or ask why they went in the first place when a dog was in there...... How long had the dog been there, was it the owners or just visiting, did the police even know it was there, can you see through walls and ID a dangerous dog, does a dangerous dog look different from a friendly one before its hanging off your arm, do you really think you would be able to think straight when you have a dog on your arm?

There are so many questions and possibilities and I don't think it's fair for you lot to rip into them without knowing the full facts, which you won't know as you were not there and were not involved in the planning.

Just to put into perspective what these dogs can do a friend of mine was dealing with a pit bull at work. The dog had been friendly with him for about an hour and suddenly turned on him. It clamped onto his inner thigh and did not release for about 10 minutes. During this time they hit it with fists and batons. Kicked it, tried to pry its jaws open and the bloke he was with put a pressure washer into the dogs mouth and turned it on. Even then it did not release straight away.

When it did release he crawled away and then it bit onto the calf ripping a big hole and revealing the bone.

The officer in question was very experienced with dogs. He is ex forces, very fit and a strong bloke. If it can do this to him it could do it to any one of us.

At a different job another mate of mine shot a pit with 00 buck from a few meters. After the first it got straight back up. The second shot put it back down and the third and forth made sure it was as humane as possible. They were all within 10 seconds.

Having said all that I would like to think if I had been at that job in the Met I would have gone to help the officer. I have been on the receiving end of a few dog bites and luckily none of them clamped on.

Harry

Brilliant response Harry :good: That sounds horrendous what happended to your mate though :o :o

To be fair I jumped in and critised having only seen the video which was wrong as I didnt know the full story,however having been in situations where myself and my crew have had dogs attack us I know how we reacted and I can assure you the crews did not run away or jump on walls :no: Oh and like the Police in the video the first we knew about it was when the door got burst open and Mr Rotty who hadnt even barked until the door opened launched himself at us!

So on the whole I still think the situation was handled badly by the Police.

Edited by m3vert

here we go with "you cant blame the dogy" i blame the dog and its owner

like i have said knuckle heads and drug dealers keep these type of animals for intimidation so they cannot be prosecuted for having an offensive weapon

totally agree with this - these type of dogs are the dog of choice for the halfwits in society, yes 2 in a 100 might be wonderful dogs with good owners. i dont know what 'the answer' is - but something needs to be done - simple licencing - whilst it would be a pain to the rest of us - lets face it - it would stop idiots quite quickly, and make it a simple task to remove dogs from morons without a licence.

I am totally sure that a licence would do nothing at all. They just wouldn't bother with one. It's the same scenario as unlicensed guns.

How is it possible for criminals to possess guns without a licence - beats me?

Yes but dog ownership (or mere existence) is much more visible and therefore easier to detect.

Yes but dog ownership (or mere existence) is much more visible and therefore easier to detect.

Dog licensing was scrapped basically because it was unenforceable and only a small minority bothered getting one as a token gesture.If you brought them back who excally would check to see if your dog(s) were correctly licensed because as it is our local council has one warden and she has to cover most of this part of Cambridegshire.So when you take in account that dog ownership in my town alone is very high-she'd need the starship enterprise to cover the entire area.

Yes you could say the council would have to employ more people,but just how many and where do their wages come from? Not from licensing alone because that would never cover it unless you set it at a premium level,but then it comes back to the old chesnut that people just wouldnt bother like what happened 30 years ago.Plus,how would they know where all these un-licensed dogs live because i know of several people who's dogs have never seen the inside of a veterinary clinic so its not like they could adopt their records.

Edited by Imperfection

Dog licensing was scrapped basically because it was unenforceable and only a small minority bothered getting one as a token gesture.If you brought them back who excally would check to see if your dog(s) were correctly licensed because as it is our local council has one warden and she has to cover most of this part of Cambridegshire.So when you take in account that dog ownership in my town alone is very high-she'd need the starship enterprise to cover the entire area.

Yes you could say the council would have to employ more people,but just how many and where do their wages come from? Not from licensing alone because that would never cover it unless you set it at a premium level,but then it comes back to the old chesnut that people just wouldnt bother like what happened 30 years ago.Plus,how would they know where all these un-licensed dogs live because i know of several people who's dogs have never seen the inside of a veterinary clinic so its not like they could adopt their records.

its going to be a pain to deal with however its done, to be honest - IMHO the best way to tackle it would be to trawl sink estates / areas and remove any dogs of a certain 'type' owned by a certain 'type' of owner, but this will never happen - instead we will eventually end up with an expensive, 'blunt instrument' to deal with it which will be a pain for everyone.

:good: So true :good:

My initial response may have been a bit harsh.

The officers may in fact have been conducting a dynamic risk assessment whilst waiting for verification from their Diversity Lesbian that there were no issues of racial or trans gender harassment before gassing the dog and beating it unconscious with their batons.

Rather than being disciplined for being cowards I do hope that all the officers concerned are receiving counseling to minimise the months off work to which they are probably entitled in order to combat the PTSD.

Their claims for thousands of pounds in compo are probably winging their way to the Criminal Injuries Compensation Board even as we speak.

The dangerous dogs act of 1991 made breeding, selling, exchanging or gifting a pit bull or pit bull type along with 3 other breeds against the law. All dogs have to be muzzled in public. In the force I work in we actively look for and follow up reports of Pitt bulls and specially trained officers will go and assess the dog. The owners are given the option to hand it over for distruction or have it castrated providing the dog appears friendly. This avoids a prosecution. If it appears agressive or has been used for fighting it will be destroyed.

If you feel strongly about these dogs being out in public report sightings or people you know who own them. I was at the vets a few months back when a couple were taking their Pitt in for something. They had their young child with them. The dog showed quite a bit of aggression to my dog and it was made very clear to the owner that they needed to keep their dog under control. Unfortunatly for them I heard all of their details when they were at the counter and that one got reported.

Harry

i cannot believe someone has sat down and thought about the utter rubbish you have typed

the guy was in DANGER, fear had taken over and he was injured and your talking about rolling a pitbull over and stroking its belly ?

a banned breed of dog who's idiotic owner obviously keeps it to intimidate people so he cannot be prosecuted for having an offensive weapon

If you're in that situation you need to try to get the thing down and do as much damage to it as you can as quickly as possible. From the side any breed of dog's ribs are the weakest point it has so unless you have any better suggestions I stick by what I said. I'll admit none of us know how we'd react until we're in that situation but lets get one thing straight - standing there screaming help isn't going to save your arm. Am I right or do you think pleading with it will make it feel sorry for you and let go? :rolleyes:

I'd be interested to know what people who actually know what they're talking about think? My info came from an ex military dog handler who had seen decades of service training people to deal with and working with attack dogs. A few blokes with opinions on here aren't going to over rule what I've been told by a good old friend with long term first hand experience.

I never said it's an easy thing to do but it's not going to get you any worse off than you already are. If the dog is ripping your arm to shreds then trying to pull away from it isn't going to get you anywhere. Making an effort to overcome it gives you some chance of winning.

here we go with "you cant blame the dogy" i blame the dog and its owner

like i have said knuckle heads and drug dealers keep these type of animals for intimidation so they cannot be prosecuted for having an offensive weapon

i own two staffys and am as appalled as everyone else when i see things like this, i nearly get as angry when you get keyboard warriors making stupid generalizations about people based on there choice of pet, its almost as bad as antis accusing us all of been wannabe gangster or murderers because we choose to own guns.

There are literally hundreds of thousands of bullbreed dogs in the UK staffys been the most common due to w#*%#*% backstreet breeding them and unfortunately you only get to hear about the minority which are owned by scum like this.

no dog is naturally that aggressive but all can be potentially trained to be, some dogs are just better equip physically and it gets exploited by scum.

I can't comment on how the police acted to the attack as i wasn't there, but as has already been mentioned several more were injured so i guess we got to see the last guy get attacked. I am surprised they didn't all go at it with batons when it latched on to matey but i guess it would all happen so quickly.

To the chap who 'playfights' with large dogs you do realise your training that dog that its ok to do that to people, one day it might decide to 'play fight' with a child and injure it, you might be able to use dog-fu or whatever but your kid probably won't. and as for claiming you could force your arm through the dogs mouth get real, the pressure that dog will have locked on with will have Been immense you'd have to be superman and probably do more damage to yourself than if you'd left it clamped on and stayed calm.

Hopefully they'll all make a full recovery and hopefully consider how they handle raids on houses with dogs present in future rather than a kneejerk reaction to banning certain breeds, if i was after a violent criminal i would assume any dog i could hear in his house would have been trained to be of a similar nature to the owner.

If you're in that situation you need to try to get the thing down and do as much damage to it as you can as quickly as possible. From the side any breed of dog's ribs are the weakest point it has so unless you have any better suggestions I stick by what I said. I'll admit none of us know how we'd react until we're in that situation but lets get one thing straight - standing there screaming help isn't going to save your arm. Am I right or do you think pleading with it will make it feel sorry for you and let go? :rolleyes:

I'd be interested to know what people who actually know what they're talking about think? My info came from an ex military dog handler who had seen decades of service training people to deal with and working with attack dogs. A few blokes with opinions on here aren't going to over rule what I've been told by a good old friend with long term first hand experience.

I never said it's an easy thing to do but it's not going to get you any worse off than you already are. If the dog is ripping your arm to shreds then trying to pull away from it isn't going to get you anywhere. Making an effort to overcome it gives you some chance of winning.

Id rather stay standing mate, that might work o a German shepard but something as fast agile as a pitbull would out maneuver you and then your on the floor with it going at you and its got the upperhand atleast you can kick it whilst standing.