Under the influence

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I understand it, a side effect can be paranoia - I would check to see if that is the case, and if I'm right I would be reporting it IMMEDIATELY. Can you think of anything worse than someone holding firearms who is paranoid?

If I knew someone in that situation I think I'd consider it my duty to do something about it, as not doing so could end up risking innocent lives if said person ends up in a mess.

As I understand it, a side effect can be paranoia - I would check to see if that is the case, and if I'm right I would be reporting it IMMEDIATELY. Can you think of anything worse than someone holding firearms who is paranoid?

If I knew someone in that situation I think I'd consider it my duty to do something about it, as not doing so could end up risking innocent lives if said person ends up in a mess.

I agree. Dope causes paranoia and may also cause schizophrenia. If someone is irresponsible enough to smoke it, that is up to them, but when they have access to lethal weapons possibly under the influence of the substance then something has to be done.

Just imagine if this person has a funny turn and hurts someone, how will you feel if you don't report it but could have done?

I know several people that drink. Funnily enough, they don't drink when they're shooting though!!

He's your mate - You know him - Is he a nutter (by which i mean psychotic, neurotic and not just up for a bit of a dare) or is there an underlying problem?

Assuming he's not, let him alone to do what the vast majority under the age of 90 have done in this country at some point or other in their lives.

Shouldn't believe everything you read in the press guys. :rolleyes:

Sure it can have adverse affects to some peoples mental health, but then so can alcohol and to a much greater extent. Alcohol might be more socially acceptable, but it causes infinitely more problems in our society than canabis ever has or ever will. Not suggesting everyone should go out and develop a canabis habbit, after all the price of cornflakes would sky rocket! :lol:

When I worked on commercial sites every day the sure-fire way to spot a dope smoker were the little temper tantrums whenever the pressure was on or something wouldn't go right. Usually in the morning before they'd had a single skinner. They'd snap over nothing and just as quickly go back to normal again, and none of them knew they were doing it. The site-agents always knew and had them weighed up on their first day. I don't doubt dope causes psychosis, you can see it just under the surface.

If people are radio rental already, there is nothing you can do. Ive never seen anyone turn mental over smoking dope. I have seen them live up to its name though and become careless. Thats the thing that would worry me. Accidents happen when people are on the ball, so when stoned, its deffo gonna happen. Then again, look at me, i turned out ok.......right?...?? :lol:

..... Or is it that these people already suffer from a little bit of psychosis / temper but a spliff keeps it under control?

Not if they didn't have the tantrums before they started smoking. I don't know, I'm not a psychiatrist, but if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck...

I dont smoke but i have tried it 40 years ago it was called marajuana when i was a kid and i would think in todays age if you did a survey 80% off the members on will have tried it. Smoking it doesnt make you are sycopath we have lads that smoke it and never have a day work off we have lads that drink and you can gurantee they never turn up for work on a saturday

Thanks for the replies, I asked this question due to a telephone conversation I had with a friend a couple of nights ago. We are setting up a stalking trip for a few days later in the year and we were chatting about who is attending. He said that the usual were in agreement on the dates and that one of the others had asked if his friend would be able to join us. Seemingly this friend is into a bit of dope.

I am not interested in dropping the guy in it as to be honest I do not know him other than what I have been told, it is just that I am not personally keen on having him join us on the trip and was wondering what other PW members thoughts were.

It puzzles me how drink and shooting are an acceptable mix.

I really can't believe how you can choose a shooting peg by the number on the bottom of a shot glass. I've never been myself but it seems the norm to have a swig of something before, during and after. I love a drink but not if I am shooting.

As for your mate, as said, you know him best but just the fact he smokes dope doesn't make him a psycho. Probably less so than drink if anything.

Shooting while stoned isn't good though, if that's the case I might well think about reporting him.

Edited by 39TDS

Just a personal experience.

Once had to attend a crash where a guy drove into a canal on a bad bend. 4 with him, 2 died. He had been smoking weed and it somewhat affected his judgement.

I would tell your friend to get off and stay off drugs or you would report it to his doctor, initially, for his health's sake and then let the doctor decide. If however it continues, or he doesnt go, I'd tell your FEO about ' a friend' and ask his advice as to whether you should report it.

We all know a criminal record prevents FAC grant - so is this legal ?

Weed does cause mental problems, I've seen it. One fella I know did 4 years after beating up the bouncer who was walking his wife home from the bar where she worked, another was sectioned after trying to burn down a petrol station and a third hanged himself in Amsterdam.