£300 Scope Suggestions...

Dynamic85

I've got £300 to spend on a scope for target shooting, so I need as high a magnification as possible, and preferably a fine reticle.

The only two options I can see at the moment are the Hawke Sidewinder 30 8-32x56 or the MTC Viper 8-32x60.

From reviews I've seen, the Hawke has better glass, but the MTC has a better reticle for target shooting, but neither are great.

Are there any scopes in that price margin that I'm overlooking, or does anyone have anything suitable they're currently offloading?

Cheers.

Without doubt for your money one of Brian Fox's "Fox Scopes" and then you will have enough for a decent set of mounts. Brian's scopes are about £120 and really are fantastic value - lots of F class and FTR shooters are using them.

http://www.foxfirearmsuk.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=44&Itemid=113

Mike

(I Have no link too or association with Brian Fox - never met him - but have seen and use his scopes!)

Without doubt for your money one of Brian Fox's "Fox Scopes" and then you will have enough for a decent set of mounts. Brian's scopes are about £120 and really are fantastic value - lots of F class and FTR shooters are using them.

http://www.foxfirearmsuk.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=44&Itemid=113

Mike

(I Have no link too or association with Brian Fox - never met him - but have seen and use his scopes!)

I've seen these but wondered are they not the same as the £60-£100 ZOS scopes on ebay, just re badged?

Also, I recall being irritated by the lack of prices on the website.

Edited by Dynamic85

just my opinion but maybe 8-32 is a bit overkill for anyones need's. You may be better of sacrificing some mag for glass quality. A 6-24x50 may be more suitable.

Take a good look at the bushnell and weaver scopes in your price bracket, they are both good makes and superior to both Hawke and MTC imho.

just my opinion but maybe 8-32 is a bit overkill for anyones need's. You may be better of sacrificing some mag for glass quality. A 6-24x50 may be more suitable.

Take a good look at the bushnell and weaver scopes in your price bracket, they are both good makes and superior to both Hawke and MTC imho.

When shooting out to 800/100/1200 yards the extra mag is worth its weight.

I've got £300 to spend on a scope for target shooting, so I need as high a magnification as possible, and preferably a fine reticle.

The only two options I can see at the moment are the Hawke Sidewinder 30 8-32x56 or the MTC Viper 8-32x60.

From reviews I've seen, the Hawke has better glass, but the MTC has a better reticle for target shooting, but neither are great.

Are there any scopes in that price margin that I'm overlooking, or does anyone have anything suitable they're currently offloading?

Cheers.

Hi,

If you're thinking of an MTC have a look at the MTC Taipan. Its their flagship model and has upgraded optics and internals over the other models in the range, i.e the Viper and Mamba. I have the 4-16x50 Taipan on my HMR and can't fault it really. Higher mag models with larger objectives are available though. They also have an ingenious telescopic sunshade built into the scope as well unlike the other MTC models which is very handy. They are heavy beasts mind :yes:

Have a look at one before you take the plunge with a Hawke or the Viper :good:

ATB,

Pat

Its poor of the fox website not to have the prices listed !

What target shooting are you doing OP ?

Currently, club shooting at MoD ranges out to 600m, but would like to try some of the longer range stuff too.

The scope will be going on my Remington 700, varmint barrelled .308.

Hi,

If you're thinking of an MTC have a look at the MTC Taipan. Its their flagship model and has upgraded optics and internals over the other models in the range, i.e the Viper and Mamba. I have the 4-16x50 Taipan on my HMR and can't fault it really. Higher mag models with larger objectives are available though. They also have an ingenious telescopic sunshade built into the scope as well unlike the other MTC models which is very handy. They are heavy beasts mind :yes:

Have a look at one before you take the plunge with a Hawke or the Viper :good:

ATB,

Pat

If you can possibly find another couple of quid, try the MTC Genesis which is the new flagship. Just got one and well impressed for the money. They are 5-20 by 50. Also have the Viper, 6-24 by 56 which is no slouch but it does appear a tad iffy at the 24. One advantage of the Genesis is IF you do happen to use it at night on live quarry as well as daytime on the range, then unlike the Viper which can look like a Christmas Tree if your lum setting is too high, the Genesis only lights up the small central cross hairs.

If you can possibly find another couple of quid, try the MTC Genesis which is the new flagship. Just got one and well impressed for the money. They are 5-20 by 50. Also have the Viper, 6-24 by 56 which is no slouch but it does appear a tad iffy at the 24. One advantage of the Genesis is IF you do happen to use it at night on live quarry as well as daytime on the range, then unlike the Viper which can look like a Christmas Tree if your lum setting is too high, the Genesis only lights up the small central cross hairs.

That looks a nice scope Wymberley :yes: . A new one on me. Glad you like it :good:

ATB,

Pat

• 3 weeks later...

I called about the fox scope. He didn't have any in stock an wouldn't have any for another month, but seemed like a genuine guy and was pretty helpful. In the end I went for the 8-32x60 MTC Viper from my local RFD.

Not had a chance to shoot with it yet, but I've got it mounted an the view looks pretty good.

Thanks for all the advice.

What about a big nikko sterling , you can get the Nikko Sterling target master 10-50 x 60 for £294 from uttings , They have stood the test of time been about years .

I have had several Nikko scopes over the years and they have all been very good value :good:

What about a big nikko sterling , you can get the Nikko Sterling target master 10-50 x 60 for £294 from uttings , They have stood the test of time been about years .

I have had several Nikko scopes over the years and they have all been very good value :good:

They were on the list of options, but I had seen more bad reviews than good for target use.

They were on the list of options, but I had seen more bad reviews than good for target use.

fair enough all the ones I have had over the years have been for airgun use so cant comment on the higher mag scopes quality but never had any issues with the ones I have had up to 12x .

I wouldn't buy any of that lot. Don't trust anything Chinese so that rules out MTC et al.

The top end hawke is jap but still not great.

Trust me when I say that repeatable adjustments are worth far more than magnification. I shoot F/TR out to 1100 yards and I could do it with 10 mag and true adjustments, but there's no way I could do it with 32 mag and clicks not working right.

Weaver have good things said about their adjustments, but I've never shot them.

If it were me, I would have a look at the Bushnell 10x40 Elite. It has 100 MOA of adjustment which is essential for a 308 to 1K unless you want a canted base. Then 60-odd should do.

Reticle for target work, generally a cross hair is best, forget weird reticles designed for aiming off - you won't be at 1K, except maybe a bit for wind.

I wouldn't buy any of that lot. Don't trust anything Chinese so that rules out MTC et al.

The top end hawke is jap but still not great.

Trust me when I say that repeatable adjustments are worth far more than magnification. I shoot F/TR out to 1100 yards and I could do it with 10 mag and true adjustments, but there's no way I could do it with 32 mag and clicks not working right.

Weaver have good things said about their adjustments, but I've never shot them.

If it were me, I would have a look at the Bushnell 10x40 Elite. It has 100 MOA of adjustment which is essential for a 308 to 1K unless you want a canted base. Then 60-odd should do.

Reticle for target work, generally a cross hair is best, forget weird reticles designed for aiming off - you won't be at 1K, except maybe a bit for wind.

Have you looked at VORTEX SCOPES, you can get them in UK,company called NEWPRO UK LTD lifetime warranty,

MTC Genesis. Made in Korea not China.

Hand on heart I used to think MTC scopes were, well, a bit pants. But having tried the Genesis I now have two of them and I'm seriously considering selling the Zeiss on my .243 and putting one on that rifle too (which would make three).

The only downside is the magnification ring is a little stiff to start out with but it is loosening up with use. The good news is that this issue has been sorted with the next batch to arrive and I'm assured that if I'm unhappy with either scope they will replace it for free.

I have to say their customer service is refreshingly good for a British firm, much better than most, mentioning no names that begin in Theo and end in Ben.

Honestly, go in and take a look through one. The reticule is unfussy, the illumination discreet (cross hairs only), the glass is comparable to the Duralyt, the build quality is great, you get Butler Creeks with it and a sunshade if that's your bag. Plus a 10 year guarantee.

I have an MTC, it's awful, poor adjustments and poor optics.

From a few years back granted, but I could never trust their kit for that work. Air rifle or rimfire maybe, but I couldn't count on it for long range competition. Bushnell Elites work well, as do Nikon and Leupold. I've got all three on various hunting guns. Bushnell's fixed 10 mag is the only thing in the OP's budget.

I run Nightforce on both target guns but they're not really 300 quid!

From what I can see the Genesis is a complete departure from all that has gone before. Go and have a look through one before writing it off. It is the latest scope in their range and does not come from the Optisan factory used for all the others.

By the way, I agree with your thoughts on their older range, not for me, but this is very different and hopefully the start of greater things to come.