Having a dog as a pet/gundog?

Stratts

Hi guys I am seriously thinking of getting a dog next spring now the enemy is warming to the idea but need to consider a few things and would like your opinions (good or indifferent!!) :good:

We have twin boys who are 4 and will be starting school in Sept. They are not phased by other peoples dogs and Josh has asked about getting one a couple of times when we've seen them out too. This is one reason for waiting til at least next year so they are settled in school for 6 months or so. The other reason is I thought it would be easier in the 1st months with longer/warmer days?

I have always wanted a black lab which I would train for use in the field for retrieving shot pigeons, etc, but need to see whether this would be the right dog for us? Also the dog would not be kept outside in a kennel but most likely sleep in the utility room somehow.

How easy is it to train them for field use and also have a dog as a pet so to speak for the rest of the family?

Is a lab the right dog or could I consider a different breed? Something smaller maybe but my lads can be a bit bonkers so I thought something like a springer would be too exciteable?!

We do not have a large garden but do have plenty of areas around for walking and I have access to land for training, etc. Does this matter too much?

I can't think of anything else but if you think of anything else I need to consider please shout out and I look forward to your replies,

Cheers

Edited by Stratts

I am in a very similar situation to you mate, i have twin boys who are nearly 7 and have a black lab who is a pet/gundog.

I have found the labs as a breed to be fantastic around the kids and the kids adore him, the training isn't messed up to much by the kids as long as they know not to keep on telling him to sit/wait etc and throwing stuff for him.

If you are out for long periods it might be an idea to put a kennel/run in the garden if you have room so he can spend the time in that while you are out, mine has been pretty distructive when he was younger. Also think about crating the dog when he is young and then keep it up overnight, my dog loves his crate and it gives him somewhere to take his self if the kids are winding him up and the kids know not to mess with him when he is in there.

As for exercise i take mine out every morning before work and again at lunch time, as i work near my house. As long as he is walked he is quite placid and enjoys nothing more than lying in the sun or near the fire.

Any more info let me know :good:

I have a Springer and i wouldn't dream of having one as a first dog and at the same time trying to train it as a gundog whilst living indoors with a missus and two young kids.............. never gonna happen mate!

In your position i would go for a Lab, they're alot calmer and less headstrong.

Good luck.

A good idea might be to go along to gundog training classes for a few months before buying a pup to see what's involved?! just a thought.

:yes:

I have a springer and 3 kids, my dog lives in with our boarder collie. I use her for beating, rough shooting, decoying she would never make a field trial champion but holds her own in the shooting company I mix with. She is a pet / working dog for the whole family not just me. She is great with kids and her best friend has always been my youngest who was 2 when I got her as a puppy now 7.

I think if you are not after a champion then living in with the family is fine, it's all about the training. A lab will maybe be easier for a first dog to train but you still have to put in the work everyday.

my old lab i had when i was a kid was a family pet and a good gundog.he lived in or out and was soft as a brush,but when the gun was out he was like a different dog,i think he thought "aup its time to work!" ,we've just got a second hand (or maybe third hand) lab x collie that i'd hoped to train up a bit.............................i think its going to be a long slow process!

I have a springer and 3 kids, my dog lives in with our boarder collie. I use her for beating, rough shooting, decoying she would never make a field trial champion but holds her own in the shooting company I mix with. She is a pet / working dog for the whole family not just me. She is great with kids and her best friend has always been my youngest who was 2 when I got her as a puppy now 7.

I think if you are not after a champion then living in with the family is fine, it's all about the training. A lab will maybe be easier for a first dog to train but you still have to put in the work everyday.

this is the right advice, loads of us have dogs that live in and then accompany us shooting. Yes they may not be perfect but they love it and it makes shooting far more enjoyable.

Thanks for all the replies and offer chaps my 1st thought of a lab is probably the best choice, which I'm pleased about.

Good idea about the gundog classes it would be a good insight into what I'm going to need to learn to do myself :good: After all it's not just the dog that's got to learn new tricks!! :lol:

• 1 month later...

Go for it, I have just got a springer pup and now found out we have a baby on the way and I am not worried in the slightest about the dogs, also have a pet collie. As long as you have the time to train them then all will be good. Our springer lives in the house but when she is out she will run through anything in the field- we are only on basic training though as she is 6 months but seems to be getting on well.

Get one at christmas time, as by the time the long nights start when the clocks go back it will be old enough to start properly training at 6 months old and you have more time in the evening to do it. Also save a fortune on xmas presents as the kids will love it and forget about other presents :good:

Hi guys I am seriously thinking of getting a dog next spring now the enemy is warming to the idea but need to consider a few things and would like your opinions (good or indifferent!!) :good:

We have twin boys who are 4 and will be starting school in Sept. They are not phased by other peoples dogs and Josh has asked about getting one a couple of times when we've seen them out too. This is one reason for waiting til at least next year so they are settled in school for 6 months or so. The other reason is I thought it would be easier in the 1st months with longer/warmer days?

I have always wanted a black lab which I would train for use in the field for retrieving shot pigeons, etc, but need to see whether this would be the right dog for us? Also the dog would not be kept outside in a kennel but most likely sleep in the utility room somehow.

How easy is it to train them for field use and also have a dog as a pet so to speak for the rest of the family?

Is a lab the right dog or could I consider a different breed? Something smaller maybe but my lads can be a bit bonkers so I thought something like a springer would be too exciteable?!

We do not have a large garden but do have plenty of areas around for walking and I have access to land for training, etc. Does this matter too much?

I can't think of anything else but if you think of anything else I need to consider please shout out and I look forward to your replies,

Cheers

Hi Stratts,

For what it's worth my own personal view is in your position to get a Lab.... but get one with a good working/field trial pedegree.

As a shooting man yourself, you'll quickly find that once you've had a dog that can tag along with you whilst rough shooting or in a hide pigeon shooting, to be without one is like leaving your cartridges at home. I'm pretty sure most other PW dog owners would agree?

As a "first" dog a well bred Lab would be perfect for you. Over the years I've had several Lab's, some kept indoors and some out, and I've never had a problem with any, even when my own kids were very small.

Regarding training, you'll find that the vast majority of decent "working" bred Lab's are on the whole a lot smarter than you think and pick up the basics very quickly and will surprise you at just how quickly they catch on.

Once you bite the bullet the pleasure you'll get from it will far outway the cost of the new Dyson to hoover up the hair indoors ...... :)

I'll look forward to hearing how you progress

Regards DaveL

Hi Stratts,

For what it's worth my own personal view is in your position to get a Lab.... but get one with a good working/field trial pedegree.

As a shooting man yourself, you'll quickly find that once you've had a dog that can tag along with you whilst rough shooting or in a hide pigeon shooting, to be without one is like leaving your cartridges at home. I'm pretty sure most other PW dog owners would agree?

As a "first" dog a well bred Lab would be perfect for you. Over the years I've had several Lab's, some kept indoors and some out, and I've never had a problem with any, even when my own kids were very small.

Regarding training, you'll find that the vast majority of decent "working" bred Lab's are on the whole a lot smarter than you think and pick up the basics very quickly and will surprise you at just how quickly they catch on.

Once you bite the bullet the pleasure you'll get from it will far outway the cost of the new Dyson to hoover up the hair indoors ...... :)

I'll look forward to hearing how you progress

Regards DaveL

:good: as someone who has labs and spaniels, and prefers spaniels, in your position I would get a lab.

Good first choice. But do not get a chocolate one if you want anything like a worker, they are nearly all pretty empty between the ears. Great pets, but most are useless in the field. I'll just reiterate get a lab from decent working parents and you will not go far wrong.

Good first choice. But do not get a chocolate one if you want anything like a worker, they are nearly all pretty empty between the ears. Great pets, but most are useless in the field. I'll just reiterate get a lab from decent working parents and you will not go far wrong.

Now there speaks a man after my own heart! Over the years I've seen several supposed "working" Chocolate's and I've yet to see one with more intelligence than your average stick insect.

I got a total basket case ESS at 18 months old from a rescue centre. She had no work ethic at all, was nervous, gunshy and had a serious hip problem. She sleeps in the bedroom, goes on the settee, comes camping with us, comes into restaurants, used to go to work with little wife and spend all day under a desk a few days a week, yet she will beat, pick up and retrieve from a hide better then any of the dogs on our shoot including those from proper working blood lines.

The working ability of a dog is determined more by the owner than the breeding IMO and there is no reason a dog cannot be a pet and a worker.

I am now getting a lab pup on 18th of may after waiting to get one from this particular guy,its from working parents with ftch in its lines and kc registered etc etc,none of that matters except that the parent dogs and all their off spring are of good health and most have gone on to be gun dogs locally,these are the smaller working labs and they still have some left i think.

I did want a spaniel that would live outside in a run,instead i came to my senses and got a lab that will live indoors :oops: it will be mainly used as a gun dog but also a family pet,i dont think i could keep up with a spaniel.

It will just be nice to have a dog in the house again after we sadly lost our Max in march.

It makes me laugh when I hear people say that they can't keep up with a spaniel. Mine is ready for bed at 10pm, doesn't like getting up before 8am, and sometime after 9 would be preferrable. She is happy laying on the rug or sofa all day and only needs three walks a day with a ball to keep her happy.

That said, she will beat from 9 until 4, retrieve from a hide all day, and if she sees me putting my fishing stuff on on she lays in front of the door so I can't get out without her.

We had hundreds of spaniels through police dog training and I could count on one hand the number that were hyper. And bear in mind we specifically looked for dogs with high motivation.

A dog is what you make it. They adapt to your circumstances.

i am also in the same boat but have decided on a ESS reason is i am just not keen on labs hope to see the prospective parents working in the next week or so I have also decided that this dog will have a crate i have 2 kids a 3 year old will be 4 when thhe bundle of fluff arrives and the other is 10 years old

im shocked no one mentioned a cocker..... :yp:

mine is currently layin opposite me top chair at window snoring.... now she aint the best trained but ive got a 2anhalfyr old little girl and the dog lives in house with us and is the softest most lovably thing my daughter has they look for each other inthe morning if all is really quiet they can be found on the bed together sleepin and as much as they ceem to annoy each other they both always look for each other,,,,, now here may be the point if i go and get the wellies or dare to open the gun cabinate the dog is bouncing at the door waitin to get out,,,,its like has been said b4 they no when ther is fun to be had and thats the way i want it,, a pet all year and gundog when required and she will happily sleep all day and work me into the ground in the winter,,,,,perfect in my opinion!!!!!!

im shocked no one mentioned a cocker..... :yp:

mine is currently layin opposite me top chair at window snoring.... now she aint the best trained but ive got a 2anhalfyr old little girl and the dog lives in house with us and is the softest most lovably thing my daughter has they look for each other inthe morning if all is really quiet they can be found on the bed together sleepin and as much as they ceem to annoy each other they both always look for each other,,,,, now here may be the point if i go and get the wellies or dare to open the gun cabinate the dog is bouncing at the door waitin to get out,,,,its like has been said b4 they no when ther is fun to be had and thats the way i want it,, a pet all year and gundog when required and she will happily sleep all day and work me into the ground in the winter,,,,,perfect in my opinion!!!!!!

I've got no problem with cockers and agree they can be superb shooting dogs/pets as can a Lab.... I have both.

Either would fit the bill for Stratts but all things considered, I'd still recommend a Lab as a "first" gundog. My reasoning is Stratts stated in his original post -

"I have always wanted a black lab which I would train for use in the field for retrieving shot pigeons, etc" and if he were to go with a cocker other than his "preffered" choice there may come a time when he think's "I wonder if a Lab would have been easier?"

I'm sure everyone who's had or owns a cocker has at some time thought ... This things a lunatic, but god it makes me laugh! Cockers always seem to be on a knife edge and I think all cocker owners will recognize the look in the picture below - You take your eyes off me for a nano second and I'm off!

post-45582-0-06604400-1335865349.jpg