Which of these traps would you recommend?

Shadowchaser

http://www.bowmantraps.co.uk/our-products/automatic-traps/supermatch-sporting-double/

http://www.gdktrading.co.uk/double-arm-auto.html

The trap wil be used for self practice and for a group of friends.

I've narrowed my search down to these two since they can throw two clays at once. I already have manual traps so can

always make an interesting set up with those too.

The Bowman is a very good trap and a lot more money but will last a long time if looked after and they are good to deal with. The GDK thing I have seen on ebay a lot but have never used one - I would reckon that they are not very powerful and are probably made in China unlike the Bowman or Promatic.

The Bowman is a very good trap and a lot more money but will last a long time if looked after and they are good to deal with. The GDK thing I have seen on ebay a lot but have never used one - I would reckon that they are not very powerful and are probably made in China unlike the Bowman or Promatic.

We have 2 of the single arm ones,

As you say, made in China,

we bought them second hand but "as new", one was still in the box,

A few teething problems but we have battled on and are now both working fine.

Quite slow re-cocking time, throws a very constistant clay a fair distance.

Ours came with remote and cable release.

Quality wise not in the same league as Bowman/Laporte/Promatic but for just a few mates practising should be fine.

Contact Phil moss off here, he deals in second hand traps and might be able to sort you out with something.

:shaun:

Thanks for the replies.

I contacted Promatic and there Superhawk Wobbler looks like the ideal piece of equipment.

Not too heavy and my concern about not getting two clays in the air at once has been found undue.

I would like to go for a larger trap ie the Bowman Double Sporter but they are heavy and I shoot in different locations and will lock the trap

up when not in use. So portability is the main concer- even more so if shooting on my own.

Thanks for the replies.

I contacted Promatic and there Superhawk Wobbler looks like the ideal piece of equipment.

Not too heavy and my concern about not getting two clays in the air at once has been found undue.

I would like to go for a larger trap ie the Bowman Double Sporter but they are heavy and I shoot in different locations and will lock the trap

up when not in use. So portability is the main concer- even more so if shooting on my own.

Selecting your requirements in traps is key:

if you only want/need about 50 -70 clays between fill ups the single column magazine traps will do fine . Carousel magazine traps will take 300 or 400 clays- but the order of cost doubles compared to a single column effort.

Quality wise promatic are the best, bowman and laporte are close runners, but there are several other cheaper manufacturers out there. I can't comment much on the chinese manufactured traps on the market such as the GDK I've looked at a couple at game fairs and while some of them they seem to be starting to copy some of the subtler features of the more expensive traps - blade edge clay separators for example. The jury is still out regarding mechanical reliability - i've yet to examine one of these chinese that has been used hard for a year or two - has anyone on this forum got any experience of these traps ?

If the traps are only for occaisional use with a couple of friends how about seccondhand ?

I've got four carousel traps myself -three cock pheasants (two with DTL woblers on them, one with an Abt wobler) and a promatic double sporter which have been been bought from small ads or ebay at costs ranging between £200 and £450. So they chew the occaisional extra broken clay than a shiny new promatic or flick one ocaisionally at a slightly erratic angle- but if its for your own use with friends rather than comercially is it really a problem?

One last point when doing your budgeting dont forget you will need 12v batteries and a battery charger.

Trust me on this one PROMATIC ALL THE WAY!!!!

IMHO there quality and after sales service really is second to none if you look at most commercial clay grounds you will find Promatic making up the majority of layouts.

As for the model you have chosen you wont go wrong a good reliable all rounder, try calling Promatic direct and I am sure they will persuade you with what they have to offer. I am sure if they are delivering or working anywhere near you they will even demonstrate and set it up for you.

PS no I dont work for them or I am not sponsored (just saying)

Trust me on this one PROMATIC ALL THE WAY!!!!

IMHO there quality and after sales service really is second to none if you look at most commercial clay grounds you will find Promatic making up the majority of layouts.

As for the model you have chosen you wont go wrong a good reliable all rounder, try calling Promatic direct and I am sure they will persuade you with what they have to offer. I am sure if they are delivering or working anywhere near you they will even demonstrate and set it up for you.

PS no I dont work for them or I am not sponsored (just saying)

BRAD.

I agree, very helpful people all Shooters themselves.

• 1 month later...

Well after considering the options and prices, I'm going to opt for the Bowman Supermatch One. The main reason is due to it's lighter weight since I will be using it in multiple locations. I've yet to go ahead with the purchase (other things have taken priority) but by the end of the month should have one on order.

Thanks to all the replies and advice. I'll let you know how I get on.