What .17hmr to buy

Bigstep

I brought a tbolt a month ago and love it. my shooting buddy has a cz so shot that abit and to me the tbolt feels nuch the nicer rifle. one thing for sure wont be shooting the 1022 anymore the 17 cost more to feed but iam sure it will kill more rabbits than the 22.

cheers john

If you like German engineering but can't afford an Anshutz, look at a Wiehrauch HW60, or HW66-same action with very pretty target stock.

Cheaper than an Anshutz, indistinguishable build quality and shooting performance. No thumbhole available- yet.

:stupid: The stock on the HW66 is superb.

I'm following this thread with great interest as i have a HW66 14" Barreled .22LR and i hated the target style stock with the stippling and vents, so i managed to get hold of the HW60 Stock and with the aid of a dremmell and a flappy sandpaper wheel i let the fore end out to accept the heavy barrell of the HW66, this is supremly accurate little rifle and i cant believe the quality of the finish on the action itself, at the other end of the spectrum i too have a CZ 452 .17HMR with Varmint barrell and although it has a trigger kit fitted it is nowhere near the quality of the liitle German gun.

The long and the short of it is that i want shut of both Rifles and would ideally want a Sako Quad, i need something with a more weather proof stock and something that will take a few knocks as it will be used off a little gaitor ! I also like the idea of one Bipod, one scope, but two barrels and only one space in the cabinet, the main bug bear i have is the faffing about with the elevation on barrel change,

Sorry not wanting to hijack the thread but interested in the Sako Quad element as i have been thinking about it since about 2007 ?

I have a 452 hmr and it's brilliant. I also have a 455 22 and it's not my bag. I don't like the thumbhole stock. 452 all the way. Cheap as chips and will work forever.

Ps anyone want to buy a cz 455 .22 Lr laminate thumbhole with sak mod and hawke scope?

Hi,

I was toying with the idea of the Weihrauch HW66J. Lovely looking rifle and quality engineering with that lovely Rekord trigger. I personally like that target stock. I was using my 17hmr CZ 452 varmit a couple of weeks ago though and i'd forgotten just how accurate that little rifle is. The HW66 is in a different league though :yes: .

I do like the Anschutz 1517. Beautiful rifle. I could'nt say what the price difference is between the HW66 and the 1517 though,i would think they'll be about the same :hmm:

ATB,

Pat

But the price is the beauty of the 452 .17hmr. You can get one for around £250-300. Then lie in a ditch or crawl around with it and not worry about marking it. Maybe go expensive if you are doing some target work, but otherwise why do you need any more.

Very few people can outshoot their rifle.

But the price is the beauty of the 452 .17hmr. You can get one for around £250-300. Then lie in a ditch or crawl around with it and not worry about marking it. Maybe go expensive if you are doing some target work, but otherwise why do you need any more.

Very few people can outshoot their rifle.

Totally agree Wurzle :yes: . I was thinking of trading the CZ in and getting an HW66j as a replacement but i came to my senses and thought, "Nah i cant justify this" the CZ does the job and like you say i would be worried about dinging the stock on an HW66. My CZ is a tool at the end of the day :good:

ATB,

Pat

I have the cz452 .17 which is great an does what it says on the tin. after seeing the weihrauch hw rifles yesterday I was sure tempted to trade in but only things that realy stopped me was it was to pretty and it prob wouldn't shoot any better than the cz which has the synthetic stock sõ wen I get blood dung and bird poo on it I'll not be concerned with it getting messed up. I can get 1/4 once groups at 100mtrs with the cz using a NIKON sterling 6-24x44 seems to group better on milder temp days.

I have the cz452 .17 which is great an does what it says on the tin. after seeing the weihrauch hw rifles yesterday I was sure tempted to trade in but only things that realy stopped me was it was to pretty and it prob wouldn't shoot any better than the cz which has the synthetic stock sõ wen I get blood dung and bird poo on it I'll not be concerned with it getting messed up. I can get 1/4 once groups at 100mtrs with the cz using a NIKON sterling 6-24x44 seems to group better on milder temp days.

Aye it will also group better on milder temp days with very little wind! but thats the 17hmr :yes: I know mine does :good:

ATB,

Pat

I'm not sure if the temp of the day will effect your grouping? Maybe it's because your pulse is harder on a hot day.

Day temp will effect how far your round can travel. Denser air ie a cold day will mean more bullet drop. A hot day when the air is thinner then the round has less friction and less variables acting upon it.

Tiny rounds like the hmr are affected by such minor things it's crazy.