Makita or Dewalt Mitre Saw.

Shropshire_Lad

Looking for a new saw guy's. I share a Makita that has been great for the last 10 years or so, a sliding 250mm version. About to get one of my own and the Dewalt compounds to 48 degrees as aposed to 45 for the Makita, very usefull as no plasterer in Shropshire can see a 90 degree corner if it hit them in the balls! Makita tried and very tested or a leap of faith to a Dewalt? any one got a ten year old Dewalt still running as new?

atvb Paul.

Looking for a new saw guy's. I share a Makita that has been great for the last 10 years or so, a sliding 250mm version. About to get one of my own and the Dewalt compounds to 48 degrees as aposed to 45 for the Makita, very usefull as no plasterer in Shropshire can see a 90 degree corner if it hit them in the balls! Makita tried and very tested or a leap of faith to a Dewalt? any one got a ten year old Dewalt still running as new?

atvb Paul.

Not got a mitre saw, but every other tool in my garage is dewalt. Sander, drills, drill bits jigsaw and I cannot fault them. Build quality is top notch and batteries do last a long time.

Not got a mitre saw, but every other tool in my garage is dewalt. Sander, drills, drill bits jigsaw and I cannot fault them. Build quality is top notch and batteries do last a long time.

Thanks for that, my only dealings with Dewalt were with an apprentice that had a 18v cordy a few years ago and it must have been a duff, put me off the make.

atvb Paul.

I have always found Makita to be better built than Dewalt. Dewalt are OK, but not that great, Makita tools just go on and on.

If you really want the extra 3 degree angle on the Dewalt then go for it, if it's not important Makita will be far better tool that will outlive the Dewalt.

I have always found Makita to be better built than Dewalt. Dewalt are OK, but not that great, Makita tools just go on and on.

If you really want the extra 3 degree angle on the Dewalt then go for it, if it's not important Makita will be far better tool that will outlive the Dewalt.

Lol, back to putting a strip of harbboard under the skirting then to under cut, Makita are bomb proof, no doubt about that. Just wish they would give that extra degree or two on the compound.

x2 :good:

atvb Paul.

all my tools are makita did have a few dewalt a few year,s back but they didn,t last some of my makita saw,s and 4" beltsander are over 20 year,s old and still going :good::good:

I have a lot of dewalt, i think its a second line brand,but its relatively cheap,spares are plentiful and easy to get hold of,i am very happy with it but it wont out last a makita but it will do the job.

bo++++ks i have a 14 year old 708 dewalt double compound mitre saw still going strong i am a joiner and building contractor and it gets used . makita are good but not as good as they used to be like a lot of tools i have a 26 year old wolf rip saw still good but old and a 18 month old makita drill thats fu++ED and milwalki thats the same i can go on and on been there done it you get what you pay for or does it look after your tools :good:

Currently running a Dewalt DW712 and it's been very good, and it's twice the saw with the stand....especially for repetitive cuts. Using a Freud blade and it gives excellent, very clean and accurate cuts.

Used to use a little Makita non sliding chopsaw for workshop use, also good but a little agricultural lol. The new Makita saws also look good though.

Money no object the Festool Kapex is fantastic but mega bucks.....hard to justify the extra over a Dewalt, especially for site use.

Much prefer Makita power tools/batteries as a whole though.

Edited by whiskymac

bo++++ks i have a 14 year old 708 dewalt double compound mitre saw still going strong i am a joiner and building contractor and it gets used . makita are good but not as good as they used to be like a lot of tools i have a 26 year old wolf rip saw still good but old and a 18 month old makita drill thats fu++ED and milwalki thats the same i can go on and on been there done it you get what you pay for or does it look after your tools :good:

I bet your 14 yr old saw would outlast todays dewalt equivilent

yes you are probably right its all mass produced now but some makita stuff is not good at all and low quality i have a very early makita 7.2 and a 9.6 battey dill driver and they will still work although the batters are gone long ago they where built to last . just carnt throw them out :lol::lol:

Like the Beretta vs Browning debate, this one will run and run. I'm a yellow & black fan, drills, drivers, router, saws, grinder - most 10+ years old and none have ever missed a beat. I'm on the Li-ion batteries now and they are fantastic. Having said that, personally I don't think you will regret buying either make

Try 'em both & see which one fits you best :lol:

Never used Makita, had Dewalt saws and drills for years and never been let down, my colleague swears by Makita, so both prob good enough for what you need. I'm a locksmith and my colleague is a joiner, so different uses for tools, good luck with your choice.

Like the Beretta vs Browning debate, this one will run and run. I'm a yellow & black fan, drills, drivers, router, saws, grinder - most 10+ years old and none have ever missed a beat. I'm on the Li-ion batteries now and they are fantastic. Having said that, personally I don't think you will regret buying either make

Try 'em both & see which one fits you best :lol:

Lol, as a lefty are the dewalt available cast on? Thanks guy's for all the imput, will probably go with the Makita as I have used one for the last ten years or so. As regards to tools I have learned that you can become too loyal to a make, take the best bits from all makes and you would have a cracker :good:

atvb Paul.

IMHO, Makita all the way - just make sure you don't buy the "Made in PRC" stuff, as its, er, not very good.

I have very limited exp. of DeWalt, a chop saw, (Ok), and a 24V SDS+, (drill Good, but batteries absolute ****), but as others have said, it IS Black and Decker. Was only saying to Mrs Sim the other day, that the original makita cordless drill my Dad bought me in 1996, is still going strong, even one of the original batteries stills works !!

ATB

Sim

I have had a dewalt 700 chop saw for over 10 years been used and abused out in the rain etc and it is still going strong

If you want a 12" saw the only one worth buying is the dw 708/718 it can mitre cut 7" skirts upright, Put a Makita saw next to it and you won,t buy a Makita again.I have had trouble with most of the Makita stuff i have had and wont buy it anymore.