.22 rimfire expansion

Dunkield

Went out for quick wander last night, more like a nature walk, saw my mate the Roe Buck as usual + 2 Muntjac and then sat and watched a badger through the binos until he got wind of me.

As dictated by the law of Sod, when I was stalking there all I saw were rabbits, and the Roe that isn't going to be shot, as I had my .22 with me only saw 2 rabbits and one of them ******** off well before I got to it :good: . The other one didn't, and is now in the freezer. When I was cleaning it up at home I found the bullet stuck in its thigh. It was standing hard up against soft sand so it must have just ricocheted enough to pop through it's skin.

At first I thought it had been shot by someone else before, but I never was one for conspiracy theories :good:

Anyway, it was chest shot and it is fair to say the bullet expaned quite well.

It was a Winchester sub BTW, before and after in the pic:

expansion.jpg

Not keen on Winchesters.. dont shoot well in my gun. Im now a Lapua user. Darn accurate in the Sako :good:

Some time ago, Im sure some of you remember the topic I also had a bullet do the same. Shot the rabbit through the head, exited the back of the head, through the shoulders, messing up the heart and lungs, then sitting on the side of the rabbit, just under the skin. Not even a twitch :good:

I think it was an Eley. My second choice of .22 RF ammo

fb8e3925.jpg

ecd04808.jpg

I've swapped from using Winchester subs to Eleys and have to say I got a much better grouping at 60yrds than I did with the Winchesters, (I could cover it with a 20p piece). The big difference seems to be the ricochets though, the Eleys seem a lot more prone to it.

P.

Cor you cant get ya breath, no sooner have I posted on another thread about how much more winnies seem to spead than my eley's... I find a thread on the same theme :unsure:

Concerning Hollow point

A theory of mine is that the winnies have more of a squared edge and when loaded into the breach they have a tendency to deform hence eratic grouping .........however this flatter edge aids expansion on impact which is why they have a reputation for harder hitting .

Now the eley's are formed more rounded and to a sharper edge .......less deformation when loaded but I have had them pass straight through the quarry at short range ........unlike the winnies ;)

Deadeye ive - Sounds feasible, and could indeed explain the loss of accuracy (that the eleys had) for me - though I percieve the thinner sidewall as also easier to split open and do its stuff. When I originally started using eleys I was told that they are the preferred round for target shooters due to their good grouping.

stuartp - could you let me know if them eleys hit 40mm (ish) higher in your gun please? and if they are the extra+

I'm also thinking the eley would be more likely to ricochet due to their sturdier leading edge possibly keeping its shape more when bouncing off something - could they also be made of "harder" lead?

stuartp - could you let me know if them eleys hit 40mm (ish) higher in your gun please? and if they are the extra+

Dave, I have only played about very quickly wwith the Eley's and they seemed to go to about the same POI as the Winchesters. The Winchesters are the bog standard ones not sure what they are called but they are £2.50 - £3 box depending on where you get them from.

If that sounds a bit vague, it is because I am too lazy to open up my cabinet and have proper look :no: