First Buck of the season

I went out this morning looking to get my first buck of the season. I had an idea where I would be able to bag one as I was out the night before doing pest control and I found three of them were using a wooded area to browse in. I arrived at 0510 and headed of in the direction where I saw them the night before. I got into a nice covered area and glassed the woods as it was getting light. At first I thought I was out of luck then I spotted this boy out at about 120 yards but a good clean shot was not possible. He was heading in an easterly direction and doing so at his own leisurely pace, enjoying the delights that the cover offered him. I decided that I would head round the woods and try and pick a spot that would afford me a better view and hopefully a clean shot. I moved round the woods for about 500 yards and set up hoping that he had not winded me and got into a nice location that gave me cover from view and a good fire position onto the area where I thought he might end up.

Needless to say he did not do as I expected but I did get the occasional sighting of him as he wandered round. I watched him on and off for well over an hour before he presented me the shot. I took it at about 110 yards and he dropped on the spot. I then thought "what a plonker" I would have to get to him and drag him over two small water ditches and a load of reeds and dead wood. Isn't it funny when the stalk is on, how you do not consider the extraction until the deed is done? Anyway I managed to get him to a nice area where I could complete a clean gralloch.

2012-04-03065735.jpg

He was a nice conditioned beast but he had the worst tick infestation I have ever seen on any beast. Anyway he is number one of the season and I hope there will be many more.

Well done Jim . Thats a nice buck ,you did say that you had seen some bucks on Sunday .

Harnser .

Mick, I was actually out with the HMR for Rabbits on Monday night and spotted 3 Bucks in the same wood, cursing myself for not having the T3. That is what made me head out the next morning, which ended up being a good decision.

Remember my offer, you are welcome to come to me or we could head of up to yours as there are still a couple of weeks left for the Fallow Bucks. :good:

Cheers, it is a T3 Varmint in .243 with a Burris Fullfield 30 3.5 - 10 x 50 IR. Not an expensive set up but I have to say it is a very accurate system when using Geco 105 gr SP's. :good:

Nice one, a good start to the season. I have exactly the same scope on my Tika hunter 308 and reckon its a cracking scope for the money,very dependable keeping excellent zero.The glass is pretty good to, was comparing it one evening alongside an S&B on a mates rifle and to be honest couldnt see any differance in low light.

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers, it is a T3 Varmint in .243 with a Burris Fullfield 30 3.5 - 10 x 50 IR. Not an expensive set up but I have to say it is a very accurate system when using Geco 105 gr SP's. :good:

My .243 likes the Geco 105gr's as well. Cracking round and dirt cheep. Unfortunately I'm down to my last for (hopefully 3 after tonight) and I haven't found anyone in Cumbria who stocks them yet, any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...

My .243 likes the Geco 105gr's as well. Cracking round and dirt cheep. Unfortunately I'm down to my last for (hopefully 3 after tonight) and I haven't found anyone in Cumbria who stocks them yet, any ideas?

My gun dealer does not normally stock them either but he was kind enough to order me a couple of hundred in. :good: