Laws on Shooting Live Quarry

Yorka

below is a link to a copy of my licence

http://www.defra.gov.uk/corporate/regulat/...n/wlf100088.pdf

the last two lines at the bottom of the licence states:

this licence can only be relied on in circumstances where the authorised person is satisfied that approiate non-lethal methods of control such as scaring or proofing are either ineffective or impracticable.

so it`s up to you if you are easily satisfied or not. :good:

I aint arguing with you mate, but I think you are taking a very trivial view on something that if it blows up in your face is anything but trivial. The way I read the open licence you refer to, you are not reading it "in the spirit" of the licence.

Up to you if you want to shoot pigeon in your garden, I personally wouldn't bother. Find someone who really has a problem and go help them out instead :lol:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The reason this topic rolls round and round, is that it is all a matter of interpretation.

Its my opinion, that eventually the only interpretation relevant, will be made by a Court.

The General Licence:

Permits authorised persons to kill or take certain birds, or to take, damage or destroy their nests; or to take or destroy their eggs, for the purposes of: (i) preventing the spread of disease; and (ii) preventing serious damage to livestock, foodstuffs for livestock, crops, vegetables, fruit, growing timber, fisheries or inland waters. The species on the licence are:

Common name Scientific name

Canada Goose Branta canadensis

Crow

Corvus corone

Dove, Collared

Streptopelia decaocto

Gull, Great Black-backed

Larus marinus

Gull, Lesser Black-backed

Larus fuscus

Gull, Herring

Larus argentatus

Jackdaw

Corvus monedula

Jay

Garrulus glandarius

Magpie

Pica pica

Pigeon, Feral

Columba livia

Rook

Corvus frugilegus

Woodpigeon

Columba palumbus

That is an extract from the DEFRA General Licence.

If you are prepared to provide evidence in a Court, that shooting birds in your garden fulfils the criteria of the General Licence, then shoot away.

You then have to consider whether you are creating a noise, or safety nuisance to your neighbours.

You may decide you are not, but ultimately a Court may make the final decision.

Few things are issues of "black and white" and where neighbour relations are concerned, good common sense seems to be the best course of action.

Cranners,

While I agree with you completely, you only quote one of the four General Licences that were granted by DEFRA for the control of birds. I am sure that you are aware of the other three licences but there may be those who aren't....so for those who don't know....

WLF18 is the licence which allows us to shoot over crops and arable land etc and that we all obey (Don't we boys and girls?).

WLF00085 is only applicable to Bird Control Units on airfields.

WLF100087 allows us to shoot corvids and somewhat curiously Feral Pigeons (NOT Woodpigeons) for the protection of WILD birds.

And finally WLF100088 which allows us to shoot permitted birds to protect public health and public safety.

The only licence that would apply in this case is WLF100088, BUT you would need to PROVE that the birds are a threat to public health or safety ie if your drive was getting covered in pigeon **** then that could be a hazard for anyone entering your property...in fact you would be legally obliged to remove the hazard by legal means.

Rabid Bunny,

The "where the authorised person is satisfied that approiate non-lethal methods of control such as scaring or proofing are either ineffective or impracticable." bit only comes into effect after the need for control has been proved.

Thats my three pence worth, now I'll shut up before Mungler picks on me (again) for teaching people to suck eggs.

P03

Cranners,

While I agree with you completely, you only quote one of the four General Licences that were granted by DEFRA for the control of birds. I am sure that you are aware of the other three licences but there may be those who aren't....so for those who don't know....

WLF18 is the licence which allows us to shoot over crops and arable land etc and that we all obey (Don't we boys and girls?).

That's a useful link PO3. I've saved that DEFRA PDA WLF18 in my favourites. When I started out ya just shot a crow a pigeon or a rook, whenever ya saw one close enough. Didn't seem to do them much harm since there are still millions of 'em about, but what do I know. Not being a leftwing, strident, anti-fieldsports tw*t, I don't suppose I should have any input into discussions of species welfare or the countryside really, should I?

• 2 years later...
Try DEFRA

I am no expert, but my understanding is that if you are suitably authorised and have good reason to be doing so, then you can shoot them. My take on it is that "just because" in your own garden is not a good enough reason - if for instance you had a prize patch of veggies they were attacking, I think that would be more than sufficient :good:

errrr dunno if im first to say or not but.... i tried to follow the defra link coz i wanted to know more about the licenses and all i got was an error page sorry

I've been discretely zapping wood pigeons in my (admittedly secluded) back-garden with no problem at all.

I only came up against the armed response squad when I was on my market-garden permission, helping to control a known pest.

The legal position is that woodpigeons may be shot 'by authorised persons' at any time, under the Public General License. The purpose authorised by the license is crop protection, but it is accepted that it does not have to be a specific crop, in a specific location - it is enough that you SAY that your intention is to prevent crop damage in some general way if you are ever asked.

An 'authorised person' is simply someone who has permission to shoot on that land - so if it is your own land, that is fine.

It's a stupid situation, and SACS is working on the while issue of these badly-worded licenses to see if we canget some common sense into them - I'm meeting the Government Minister responsible this afternoon, in fact!

The only issue you would need to consider is whether it is safe and/or realistic to shoot in your garden at all - there is nothing in the law to restrict this, but if you have a small garden, it might be annoying or frightening for your neighbours, and the police might try to charge you with breach of the peace or reckless discharge of a firearm, and leave it to the courts to sort out.

That's why SACS provides the £100,000 legal fees insurance for all of our members - so they can have top legal defence for things like this. We are the ONLY organisation to do this for all of our members.

In answer to your NEXT question, I have NO idea why the rest don't!

I hope that helps :yes:

Ian Clark

Director, SACS

The legal position is that woodpigeons may be shot 'by authorised persons' at any time, under the Public General License. The purpose authorised by the license is crop protection, but it is accepted that it does not have to be a specific crop, in a specific location - it is enough that you SAY that your intention is to prevent crop damage in some general way if you are ever asked.

An 'authorised person' is simply someone who has permission to shoot on that land - so if it is your own land, that is fine.

It's a stupid situation, and SACS is working on the while issue of these badly-worded licenses to see if we canget some common sense into them - I'm meeting the Government Minister responsible this afternoon, in fact!

The only issue you would need to consider is whether it is safe and/or realistic to shoot in your garden at all - there is nothing in the law to restrict this, but if you have a small garden, it might be annoying or frightening for your neighbours, and the police might try to charge you with breach of the peace or reckless discharge of a firearm, and leave it to the courts to sort out.

That's why SACS provides the £100,000 legal fees insurance for all of our members - so they can have top legal defence for things like this. We are the ONLY organisation to do this for all of our members.

In answer to your NEXT question, I have NO idea why the rest don't!

I hope that helps :yes:

Ian Clark

Director, SACS

Thank you Ian, that's certainly reassured me.

This guy's penalty was "one year conditional discharge and £400 costs"

Doctor shoots seagull

Wonder what might have happened to his ticket if he had one though. It's not mentioned if the shot was in his garden or up to his roof.

The RSPCA said Dartmouth is a seaside town, and you expect seagulls.

So does that mean away from the sea it's all good to shoot them?