Laws on Shooting Live Quarry

Yorka

I have a licence from Defra to shoot crows,dove,certain gulls,jacdaw,jay,magpie,pigeon,rook and wood pigeon. On my own property, in my own garden I would be an authorised person and therefore legal.

however the licence does also say in smallprint at the bottom of the page...

This licence can only be relied on in circumstances where the authorised person is satisfied that appropriate non-lethal methods of control such as scaring or proofing are either ineffective or impracticable.

in other words you tell pc plod that they keep comming back after scaring them away, and they make a mess on your windows and vehicle and damage your roof. (you can be an easily satisfied person ;) ).

another thing, the highways act states that an air rifle must not be fired within 50 feet of the centre of a highway, if in so doing causes users of that highway to be detoured, injured or feel threatened. So you are legal if no one is there!

tell your neighbour politely to mind his own business :unsure:

[/quote all this is just one reason airgunners have so much bad press.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i belive that one of the criteria for the general license is to stop the spread of Disease, if so get some sort of bird e.g. a budgy, then carry on shooting the pigoens and say that you are protecting livestock and stoping spread of Disease. hmm only a thought.

Young Shot

i belive that one of the criteria for the general license is to stop the spread of Disease, if so get some sort of bird e.g. a budgy, then carry on shooting the pigoens and say that you are protecting livestock and stoping spread of Disease. hmm only a thought.

Young Shot

But not a very good one.

i think most of you guys are from air gun bbs :oops::lol: its your land you shoot the ******* as long as the pellet does no leave the garden there nothing they can do about it ,tell the guy next door to ring who he likes and tell him the police may do him for wasteing police time :lol: ,the rspca will not care ,as they will tell him to ring the rspcb and even they will not wont to know ..but make sure the gun is not over powered and the pellet stays in your grounds ..some of you guys do go over the top some times :lol:

ring BASC they wil tell you whats what for free ..

i think most of you guys are from air gun bbs :oops::lol: its your land you shoot the ******* as long as the pellet does no leave the garden there nothing they can do about it ,tell the guy next door to ring who he likes and tell him the police may do him for wasteing police time :lol: ,the rspca will not care ,as they will tell him to ring the rspcb and even they will not wont to know ..but make sure the gun is not over powered and the pellet stays in your grounds ..some of you guys do go over the top some times :lol:

Oh my god, you might be right Snakebite :D

• 3 weeks later...
as long as the pellet does no leave the garden there nothing they can do about it ,tell the guy next door to ring who he likes and tell him the police may do him for wasteing police time :lol: , ..but make sure the gun is not over powered and the pellet stays in your grounds ..some of you guys do go over the top some times :yes:

even if the pellet does leave the garden on a ricochet, it is not illegal unless the shooter is under 17 years old. :)

even if the pellet does leave the garden on a ricochet, it is not illegal unless the shooter is under 17 years old.

dont know about this bit. :lol:

Whilst under the supervision of a person aged 21 years or over, or whilst shooting, on private premises, including land, provided the missile is not fired beyond those premises.

the above is found on the lower part of page one on the following link, listed in the under 17 years old section. :)

http://www.met.police.uk/firearms-enquiries/airguns1.htm

it`s not listed anywhere else, so I presume it only applies to under 17 year olds :yes:

The law is all about interpretation, and interpretation that would be "reasonable". You hear of loopholes all the time which allow this and that to happen with the aid of clever barristers..

However, assuming that its only illegal for a 17 year old's pellets to land in a neighbours garden, and its fine for everyone else, is just a complete nonsense. I know you want to see where it is written, but don't forget it is not just the specifics of this particular section of legislation which will apply, should the situation arise.

:)

However, assuming that its only illegal for a 17 year old's pellets to land in a neighbours garden, and its fine for everyone else, is just a complete nonsense.

:)

Agreed

Has always been a civil offence for a pellet to leave a boundry however with the introduction of the anti social behavour act it became a criminal offence for 14 to 17 year olds. Under 14's have to be supervised so the adult takes the responsibilty and therefore a civil issue again.

In addition....

As to shooting live quarry in your garden I cant see any legitimate reason to do... There's no crops of any consequence or diseases to be controlled.

There have been succesful prosecutions in the past for shooting birds (legitimate quarry and on the DEFRA list) in gardens as it cant be justified.... sport or for food are not valid reasons.

Tony

However, assuming that its only illegal for a 17 year old's pellets to land in a neighbours garden, and its fine for everyone else, is just a complete nonsense.

:good:

Agreed

Has always been a civil offence for a pellet to leave a boundry however with the introduction of the anti social behavour act it became a criminal offence for 14 to 17 year olds. Under 14's have to be supervised so the adult takes the responsibilty and therefore a civil issue again.

In addition....

As to shooting live quarry in your garden I cant see any legitimate reason to do... There's no crops of any consequence or diseases to be controlled.

There have been succesful prosecutions in the past for shooting birds (legitimate quarry and on the DEFRA list) in gardens as it cant be justified.... sport or for food are not valid reasons.

Tony

Tony,

I think that if pigeons and crows etc are making a mess of your house and crapping on your car and down your neck etc, that constitutes a health hazard.

With all due respect it doesn't matter what you think, its whats the law says. For what its worth I agree you should be able to shoot things in your own garden. The law and precident are set, however and the thread was about the law :good:

below is a link to a copy of my licence

http://www.defra.gov.uk/corporate/regulat/...n/wlf100088.pdf

the last two lines at the bottom of the licence states:

this licence can only be relied on in circumstances where the authorised person is satisfied that approiate non-lethal methods of control such as scaring or proofing are either ineffective or impracticable.

so it`s up to you if you are easily satisfied or not. :good:

I have been shooting woodpigeons with my airgun on my privately owned property for some time now. But when a neighbour saw me shooting in my land he threatened to call the police and the RSPCA if I didn't stop. I am looking for some legal evidence to prove that I have the right to shoot pigeon on my land. Since there are no crops on my land I need a legitimate reason within the law to shoot them (apart from them being bloody nuiscences). I was sure it was legal for an authorised person to shoot woodpigeons but my neibour demands legal evidence.

Could anybody help me out or give me a direct link. (I've been looking at the Countryside Act of 1981 but cant find anything of use yet.)

Thanks.

no sign of him since.

But when a neighbour saw me shooting in my land he threatened to call the police and the RSPCA

i wonder.