Baikal IJ-58M

hoggysreels

I've had a look on the internet regards finding how to interpret the markings on a Baikal IJ-58M (the flats on the underside of the barrels). There are the obvious gun serial number/chamber size/proof stamp etc ... but trying to decipher the remaining symbols has me baffled. I've looked at a few sites having used Google but the information I've found is limited.

I'm particularly interested in finding out the age of the gun and the chokes etc ... and basically anything else that can be gained from these symbols.

When these guns were sold new, were they supplied with any literature/manual etc ? ... if so, would anyone be aware if it has ever been put on the internet in the form of a pdf ?

I noticed when turning the barrels over (forend removed) ... the ejector mechanism has a single screw in between the mechanism, a flat blade type screw, is this to activate/deactivate the ejector mechanism ?

I picked up an as new looking Baikal IJ-58M (just had to own a SBS) and wanted to find out about the gun, any help much appreciated ... thanks hoggy

Cheers Steve'O .... only got it yesterday afternoon, not fired it yet. Got it off a guy from the Bristol area, nice fella ... (hope he doesn't get fined for pulling the emergency stop cable on the Train yesterday) :lol: .

I noticed it has "Made in the USSR" pressed into the side of the mechanism, so if my memory serves me right the USSR disintergrated late 1991, so working on that, mine is plus 10 years old minimum. It's condition may give the impression its 2/3 years old, its really in a nice condition, very pleased with it.

The barrel length is 28 5/8" and I can't actually see a designated code for the model ... I'm assuming its a IJ-58M ... it does have the ejectors or extractors ? .. they appear to be manually pushed closed as I close up the gun, basically being pushed back in place by the rear most part of the mechanism that encloses the firing mechanisn "sorry not sure of all the technical terms" ...

I've an OU Franchi 12 bore but for some reason this SBS Baikal 12 bore facinates me, more so than my Franchi gun .. The Baikal wouldn't look out of place resting on a Greece partisans shoulder, dresses in a goat skin jacket whilst high up the mountains of Crete in 1943, waiting to ambush the German invaders :lol:

Any info about these guns Steve'o much appreciated, as is the info you have kindly already supplied me ... cheers mate .... hoggy

Cheers Steve'O .... only got it yesterday afternoon, not fired it yet. Got it off a guy from the Bristol area, nice fella ... (hope he doesn't get fined for pulling the emergency stop cable on the Train yesterday) :lol: .

I noticed it has "Made in the USSR" pressed into the side of the mechanism, so if my memory serves me right the USSR disintergrated late 1991, so working on that, mine is plus 10 years old minimum. It's condition may give the impression its 2/3 years old, its really in a nice condition, very pleased with it.

The barrel length is 28 5/8" and I can't actually see a designated code for the model ... I'm assuming its a IJ-58M ... it does have the ejectors or extractors ? .. they appear to be manually pushed closed as I close up the gun, basically being pushed back in place by the rear most part of the mechanism that encloses the firing mechanisn "sorry not sure of all the technical terms" ...

I've an OU Franchi 12 bore but for some reason this SBS Baikal 12 bore facinates me, more so than my Franchi gun .. The Baikal wouldn't look out of place resting on a Greece partisans shoulder, dresses in a goat skin jacket whilst high up the mountains of Crete in 1943, waiting to ambush the German invaders :lol:

Any info about these guns Steve'o much appreciated, as is the info you have kindly already supplied me ... cheers mate .... hoggy

Your Welcome hoggy

But I am thinking its older than 10years ?

Think there has been 2 models out since the IJ-58

It's definately older than 10 years. It bears London proof house re-proof marks. The "LP77" indicates it was carried out in 1977. It's chambered as a 12 bore, the nominal bore diameter at time of proof was 0.719" both tubes and it's nitro proofed for 2 3/4" (75mm) cartridges. You're OK with 1 1/8oz (32g) loads. Might be worth getting the tubes measured up to check it's current proof status, although I very much doubt it will be out of proof.

I've tried to take some photo's using the wifes iphone ... just don't seem clear enough to attempt to put on the thread ! ... will try again tomorrow ...

The forend on mine looks a bit different to yours Steve'O in so much as it doesnt appear to have the metal hook/tag at the end of the forend you have highlighted in you photo. I have just automatically assumed mine is an IJ-58, I will try and take an overview photo of the gun, maybe you and/or Hector could confirm one way or the other as to what it actually is (either way I'm well pleased with it) ... Tuesday I'm going to put 50-75 cartridges through it.

I've tried to take some photo's using the wifes iphone ... just don't seem clear enough to attempt to put on the thread ! ... will try again tomorrow ...

The forend on mine looks a bit different to yours Steve'O in so much as it doesnt appear to have the metal hook/tag at the end of the forend you have highlighted in you photo. I have just automatically assumed mine is an IJ-58, I will try and take an overview photo of the gun, maybe you and/or Hector could confirm one way or the other as to what it actually is (either way I'm well pleased with it) ... Tuesday I'm going to put 50-75 cartridges through it.

It will be marked on action in front of trigger guard if it is a IJ-58MAE

20111229_142955.jpg

20111229_142402.jpg

20111229_142810.jpg

20111229_144135.jpg

Have you used you're mobile phone to take those photos Steve'O ? ... there really clear! ... my mobile phone camera is quite poor, every photo I take appears to have been taken whilst in the midst of a Hailstorm ...

The embossed graphics on the mechanism of mine has on one side, a Woodcock and the other a Grouse (well that's my interpretation of them), both couldn't be described as intricate craftsmanship :rolleyes:

Removed the ejector/extractor rod today, just needed to remove the grub screw and it simply slipped out, and gave it a clean ... its much smoother but when I push the ejector/extractor rod back in, the last 3-4mm prior to sit seating adjacent to the barrel it becomes quite stiff, though when fully assembled it functions fine. prior to cleaning it, the mechanism was stiff about 10mm prior to it touching the barrel, so an improvement, small issue I can resolve at a later date.

Will try and get some photos posted asap (got the in-laws up from Surrey over the bank holiday) ... don't want to get the gun out as there are kids everywhere, they're going tomorrow so will try and sort some out then ... cheers Steve'O

Have you used you're mobile phone to take those photos Steve'O ? ... there really clear! ... my mobile phone camera is quite poor, every photo I take appears to have been taken whilst in the midst of a Hailstorm ...

The embossed graphics on the mechanism of mine has on one side, a Woodcock and the other a Grouse (well that's my interpretation of them), both couldn't be described as intricate craftsmanship :rolleyes:

Removed the ejector/extractor rod today, just needed to remove the grub screw and it simply slipped out, and gave it a clean ... its much smoother but when I push the ejector/extractor rod back in, the last 3-4mm prior to sit seating adjacent to the barrel it becomes quite stiff, though when fully assembled it functions fine. prior to cleaning it, the mechanism was stiff about 10mm prior to it touching the barrel, so an improvement, small issue I can resolve at a later date.

Will try and get some photos posted asap (got the in-laws up from Surrey over the bank holiday) ... don't want to get the gun out as there are kids everywhere, they're going tomorrow so will try and sort some out then ... cheers Steve'O

I took all my pic's with my Samsung Galaxy S 2 camera 8 meg :)

Look forward to seeing them pic's :)

I have noticed on the left hand side of the mechanism it has "Made in USSR" on the right hand side it has .... an (N back to front) followed by 2 K's back too back, so the first K is the wrong way round and the second is backing onto the that K ... following that is M58A

I can't print how it is exactly due to the first couple of letters being back to front ... reverse the first two letters and it would look like this ... NKKM58A

Will try and load photos tomorrow ... cheers mate

post-51734-0-66562400-1334091007.jpg

Took the gun for a run out today, put 100 cartridges through it, (now I know why OU's are preferred to SBS Shotguns when shooting clays :rolleyes: ) .... using 28g practice cartridges it has quite a kick to it. Shooting at the high towers attempting to shoot the overhead clays, it was all I could do to hold on to the gun, by then I'd put 75 plus cartridges through it. My fingers were touching the barrel and the heat plus the kick made for an interesting day.

Gun worked a treat and will be great fun when being used as a field gun (only took it for a trail, its not going to be used for clay pigeon shooting, I've an OU for that) ... all in all, made up with it ... :good:

p.s. ... both pics the same, just I not very good at downloading stuff ...

post-51734-0-66316800-1334091839.jpg

Edited by hoggysreels

4 being the rank of the examiner with 1 being the most senior.

.... :blush::blush:

What can you make of the NKKM58A code on the right hand side of the gun mechanism ... remembering that the first two letters NK are reversed ... would this gun still be classed as an IJ-58A ... cheers hoggy

Edited by hoggysreels

• 3 weeks later...