new to rabbit shooting need permission

bradwatton

Iv just got me a 1.77 air rifle just a cheap one to start with,I live near

Stourbridge West midlands iv emailed a few golf courses as I no

They have a rabbit issue I had no reply so could someone help me

And if someone now's any place meet my area I can ask or any

Beginners tips

I also have another house in the country neer bridgnorth if anyone lives neer

Or around any off them areas now's where I can get permission or show me the ropes.

I'm 16...and my friend would probably join as hese looking for a gun to

Edited by Dunkield
email address removed

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey mate, welcome to the club! First things first, have you got yourself some insurance? If not, that's probably a good thing to get sorted. If you can say in your emails that you are insured by someone reputable it looks a lot better. Particularly as you're 16. gives everyone a bit of peace of mind, especially with a very public place like a golf park. I'm not a great fan of emails; it's too easy to forget them or pretend they never arrived, so i'd ring them up and/or go in and see them in person. Membership to a local club might help as well? The other advantage of a club is you can get your eye in properly before heading out for live quarry and there's always a wealth of experience to ask people for advice as well. You need to be totally confident of clean, quick kills before you go out on live quarry, no one wants injured animals around and it's going to look bad on you if golfists starts seeing injured rabbits around the place! Oh and plague this site with questions. people will always be happy to help :) all the best and let us know how you get on!

As above. :good:

Welcome to the site, there's a huge amount of information on here and many very knowledgeable people willing to give advice so ask questions and use the search feature.

The first, and most important thing to do is shoot loads, and loads, and loads of targets, and at different ranges so you can be confident that you can hit a 1/2" target every time. Learn how the wind changes the point of impact and how much holdover and hold under to give at different distances. When you know your gun and you are able to shoot it well then you be in a position to think about live quarry - which is where field craft comes in!

Basically theres lots to learn and there's no better place to start than here.

Good luck, and happy and safe shooting.

Gonna be brutally honest Brad-if your spelling/diction on your emails are as ropey as in your post you will be lucky to be allowed to get permission to use a water pistol.You need to stack as many positives in your favour as humanly possible and ,in my opinion,emails(even perfectly written ones) rarely work.

Gonna be brutally honest Brad-if your spelling/diction on your emails are as ropey as in your post you will be lucky to be allowed to get permission to use a water pistol.You need to stack as many positives in your favour as humanly possible and ,in my opinion,emails(even perfectly written ones) rarely work.

Was going to say the same thing. If you dont know where to put the . in a calibre, then will you know where to put it on a rabbit? Just slow down a bit here dude. Firstly, get rid of your mate. Your better off alone to start with. Secondly, your not ready for rabbits yet. Shoot targets all day long, until you know exactly what your gun is going to do, and when its going to do it.

Was going to say the same thing. If you dont know where to put the . in a calibre, then will you know where to put it on a rabbit? Just slow down a bit here dude. Firstly, get rid of your mate. Your better off alone to start with. Secondly, your not ready for rabbits yet. Shoot targets all day long, until you know exactly what your gun is going to do, and when its going to do it.

good advice :good:

we are only trying to help so don't take these comments as negative ones. I would say you stand no chance at getting a golf course.

join a club and learn the ropes, you might get taken out over land by someone their once they get to know you.

and whatever you do don't be tempted to nip out without permission.

Would you let someone on your land who can't string a written sentence together grammatically? I wouldn't. You should have paid more attention in those English lessons buddy. I'd suggest you get someone who can spell properly to proof read your emails before you send the next bunch.

Edited by -Mongrel-

And Tbh why be formal on a forum ? I don't know but thankyou for the advice.

Equally to the point, why not?

It's not a case of being formal mate, it's a case of IF you can put your point across clearly and eloquently, you are far more likely to receive a favourable response, be that on here or from people you may be asking for permission. Have a good look around here though, especially the airgun forum, it's a mine of information.

Ok people, let's not be unnecessarily blunt about these things! I agree that if one is able to write grammatically perfect sentences then one should do so. However, as has been pointed out already this is just a forum, mobile phones are ridiculous contraptions at the best of times and whilst people seem quick to point out the errors, no one has offered to help with drafting a letter to help out. (I am quite happy to, if you need the assistance!)

brad, you asked about insurance? I'm with the National Gamekeeper's Organisation (NGO) and that was £35. They were extremely efficient in dealing with my membership and pretty helpful too. They support gamekeepers in a variety of ways and aren't just there to take your money; your cash goes towards representing field sports' interests, so I'd recommend them! They're cheaper than BASC, but they do a LOT of conservation work on top, so the money is well spent. It's worth looking at a company the does more than just insures you, because that way you're giving back to the sport and the cover seems a lot better as well!

what sort of gun have you got yourself btw? other than a .177!

well I am on my laptop now and I don't mind typing formerly on here,just on my phone I am very thankful for the information so far. But no one has said

where I can find a shooting range near my area, so any help with that please? Thank you.

I don't know how often this site is up dated but check this out http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=112142807175534929647.00045e31fb75cceda1318&ll=55.053203,-1.757812&spn=9.638755,33.815918&t=h&z=6

didn't pay much for it a Beeman well that's what it says with a SMK 4x20 scope

I am fairly accurate when I first had it practising on the back garden.

is this a good to start with?

oh and on the side it says 500 series then Huntington beach calif just to narrow it down haha.

I've just looked up your rifle and it is advertised as producing 500 feet per second, with normal pellets that will give you around 5 ft/lb of muzzle energy which is very low for an air rifle (the legal limit in 12 ft/lb, and 6 ft/lb for air pistols) and not enough to cleanly dispatch live quarry.

It's great for a first gun but you'd need to be using a rifle that is near the legal limit for hunting.

Take It slow pal.It takes a while to get started.Try and speak to farmers/Landowners and speak to them face to face.Have a coffe or a tea or a fruit juice in your nearest farmers inn they frequent and Hopefully you may hit it off.(Go for the Target shoot).Tin cans and knockdowns.(Just to start with).Jim.(Night Owl)

Hope this Target shooter perm form helps you.It leaves you open to ask the landowner/Farmer at a later date about going for Ferrals.Jim.

post-23983-0-93870700-1334018008.jpg

I'm on my phone rushing these with auto correct I can spell

And Tbh why be formal on a forum ? I don't no but thankyou for the advice

Ok, imagine you walk into a pub. Its a new one to you, and you dont know anybody. Would you walk in and start laughing and joking with the barmaid? Would you be as loud as if you were in your local? Its kind of the same on forums. Just jumping into conversations, people can assume you have no manners. Just do some more reading of posts, and slowly add your bit.

well I am on my laptop now and I don't mind typing formerly on here,just on my phone I am very thankful for the information so far. But no one has said

where I can find a shooting range near my area, so any help with that please? Thank you.

Again, there are some thing people will be happy to help with, and some things people will call you a lazy swine. Make an effort, dont just expect. :good: