new to rabbit shooting need permission

bradwatton

Best place for info isn't the interweb, but local gun shops. Not sure if there is a decent one left in Stourbridge, there is a very good one over near West Brom, Sandwell field sports, Also plenty of others, DAI leisure in merryhill is better avoided IMO. There is an Air rifle club that shoots in Kinver near the Cross gun club on a Sunday IIRC (field opposite the entrance to the clay shoot) http://www.kinverarc.co.uk/ another in Worcester http://www.worcesterairrifles.org.uk/

Bound to be many others, get along have a chat and see if its for you. There are also plenty of airgun magazines that may have club lists.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well as I'm 16 I'm unable to drive,so getting places will be next to impossible unless cheap taxi or on a bus route,that club in kinver seems the best option but still far for me hopefully I can get in touch with the stourbridge club and see if they'll work around me not going to there college.

What should I wear to a range I don't even no that?

Nothing! no, don't do that it'd be weird and not a great way to introduce yourself. but with most clubs it's a case of nothing special. normal clothes will do; stuff that isn't going to be restrictive when you're shooting, but nothing overtly offensive in terms of logos! just go in respectable clothes - no ripped jeans and the like! What you definitely DON'T need to do is go out and buy expensive shooting clothes. if it's an outdoor range then stuff you don't mind getting muddy/stained.

Edited by chrisjpainter

So don't try and go to that shooting club? Ok and as I was going to get a new gun to start are any off these good choices logun sk16 mk2 or bsa lightning xl

Also I can buy a weihauch hw80k with silencer for cheap.

My dress sense wouldn't suit a shooting range anyway so I'm thinking of buying some cheap gear for it

Nothing! no, don't do that it'd be weird and not a great way to introduce yourself. but with most clubs it's a case of nothing special. normal clothes will do; stuff that isn't going to be restrictive when you're shooting, but nothing overtly offensive in terms of logos! just go in respectable clothes - no ripped jeans and the like! What you definitely DON'T need to do is go out and buy expensive shooting clothes. if it's an outdoor range then stuff you don't mind getting muddy/stained.

What rifle do you have mate?

second hand then!

also the air arms s410 is a good rifle.

That was second hand I think,hmm

Will they 100% check me for fac certificate if I brought the hw80k? Or for any other rifle (12ft/lb and under I meen) I look 18-19 but I'm 16

Edited by bradwatton

That was second hand I think,hmm

Will they 100% check me for fac certificate if I brought the hw80k? Or for any other rifle (12ft/lb and under I meen) I look 18-19 but I'm 16

You cannot legally get an overpowered (over 12 ft) air-gun without a FAC - nobody could or would sell you one.

I don't think all HW80K's are over the legal limit, some may be but I expect that most aren't, go to a gunshop and they will advise you on what is within your budget that'll suit your needs.

Firstly, as you are 16 the law says that you aren't allowed to buy or own an air rifle yourself, but you can borrow one from an adult and use it without supervision on private property (that you have permission to be on). A gun shop won't sell you one, whatever the power, so you will need to get someone else to buy one so you can borrow it.

Secondly, most HW80s will be under 12 ft/lb so no need for the person who is buying it to have a FAC, and if they were buying one from a shop the dealer will not sell overpowered one without a FAC!

Thirdly, better deals can be had if you buy a secondhand rifle and a decent spring rifle (Weihrauch, Air Arms, Theoben etc) will be around £200, and I would stick to a spring rifle for now as there is no need to worry about air bottles etc and in the end you'll be a better shot.

Edited by FalconFN

Firstly, as you are 16 the law says that you aren't allowed to buy or own an air rifle yourself, but you can borrow one from an adult and use it without supervision on private property (that you have permission to be on). A gun shop won't sell you one, whatever the power, so you will need to get someone else to buy one so you can borrow it.

Secondly, most HW80s will be under 12 ft/lb so no need for the person who is buying it to have a FAC, and if they were buying one from a shop the dealer will not sell overpowered one without a FAC!

Thirdly, better deals can be had if you buy a secondhand rifle and a decent spring rifle (Weihrauch, Air Arms, Theoben etc) will be around £200, and I would stick to a spring rifle for now as there is no need to worry about air bottles etc and in the end you'll be a better shot.

Thankyou for this information,does this mean that I should pick up a hw80k for 200 quid?and I wont need a licence?

if so ill buy one when I get the chance id off sold my rifle for 20-70 quid or exchanged it and paid the 360

iv had no luck in getting in touch with any off the ranges,should I wait longer? its been 1 day <_<

Hi

just some thoughts

permissions are so hard to get, i mean really hard and very easy to loose !! You stand no chance at all by just emailling people

remember they are doing YOU a massive favor

they mostly will have had experience in the past where people have turned up with mates and shot up everything .... i heard this a few times when looking .....

you will need to go and see people and talk with them you have to get insurance really know your gun and set up what you can shoot and at what distance -they may well ask they need confidence that your not an idiot with a gun you need to get this across

somehow you need to convince a complete stranger that letting you walk round his land with a loaded gun is a good idea ..... he needs to know your responsible etc

absolutely forget taking any mate with you ....

Sorry to say but i think you may struggle ......

If i were you i would

join a club

ask around the family does anyone know anyone with some land etc maybe they can vouch for you

maybe get some references to you good character

remember it is you who is trying to get a permission best of luck

Simon

Hi

just some thoughts

permissions are so hard to get, i mean really hard and very easy to loose !! You stand no chance at all by just emailling people

remember they are doing YOU a massive favor

they mostly will have had experience in the past where people have turned up with mates and shot up everything .... i heard this a few times when looking .....

you will need to go and see people and talk with them you have to get insurance really know your gun and set up what you can shoot and at what distance -they may well ask they need confidence that your not an idiot with a gun you need to get this across

somehow you need to convince a complete stranger that letting you walk round his land with a loaded gun is a good idea ..... he needs to know your responsible etc

absolutely forget taking any mate with you ....

Sorry to say but i think you may struggle ......

If i were you i would

join a club

ask around the family does anyone know anyone with some land etc maybe they can vouch for you

maybe get some references to you good character

remember it is you who is trying to get a permission best of luck

Simon

Thank you,and iv actually been saving up iv been working for 1 year (since I started work) and I am thinking about buying 1 acre

my parents own a mobile home down Bridgnorth I was going to attempt to get planning permission and I could use that land to practice

but that's if I fail at joining a club which I seem to be doing as I cant get in touch with any.

iv been to Bridgnorth once but I am going to go a few times and try to get in with the locals its in the middle off the country so it shouldn't be hard,but then its getting the permission ill ask just to practice with targets then when I am confident ask about live quarry.

the owner off the site for the mobile home said we am aloud to use the land next to the site for a 50cc quad its about 5-10 acres which ill ask about that but as he lets everyone on the site dog walk etc. he wouldn't allow it but you never no until you ask right?!

how did you start? a club a family member?

Hi

i went round every farm in a 15 mile radius of where i live and knocked on the door

i also tried the fruit farms etc basically any business that has large chunk of land and possible pest problem .... you will get a lot of knock backs at least i did but in the end bingo .... then you will realise how hard you worked to get somewhere you would not risk loosening it for anything

best of luck to you ... just take your time and above all be polite and talk to everyone

good luck as we need young people in the sport as in any other

Simon

hi brad and welcome to PW just thought id chuck my 2pence worth in personally i think your wasting your time trying to get golf courses if your not best mate with owners son or something like that there's lads on here with years of experience and FAC RIFLES who are struggling for land

Not to say you wont get any i started with a 1 acre paddock full of rabbits so it can be done but you need to get out there and talk to them i wood not give permission to a 16 yr old sending me a email brutal but true

Now my way i wood go about it is to learn as much as can of here probably 1 of the best places to learn more 2nd buy some air rifle magazines and 3rd join a club where you can practice your little heart out for a few months before you engage real targets buy that time you should no the basics and may be 1 or 2 lads down the air rifle range might have some land to take you out on .

hope you get sorted swiss

What should I wear to a range I don't even no that?

OK for an indoor range smart casual comfortable clothes, for out door then outdoor clothes warm with decent boots/shoes and not stuff you mind getting some mud on or walking through long wet grass. A water proof jacket is a must for ourtdoors......

DO NOT turn up in head to toe Camo

DO NOT turn up in head to to toe black with sunglasses

either of these will instantly make you look a total twit.

Its the Easter holidays and these clubs are run by volunteers so if you have phoned and left a message and emailed leave it a week!

get yourself friendly with the local old boys who shoot or ferret ...offer to carry the gear run errands anything to get in with the older ones, show willing and nothing is too much bother and be patient when they tell you the same story over and over again...i was glad i went ferreting before shooting so as i was prepared for when(and it will happen) i had a injured rabbit on my hands and the old boys taught me to dispatch quickly....you owe it to you and your sport to know these things before they happen mate.....good luck

regards

john

Thankyou youv gave me alot to think about,I'm going to try everything to get into a club even though none for miles but I'll still try and I'll get a new rifle suited for live quarry so I can shoot the one ill actually use.

I should be driving may (17th) so I'll be able to travel then and really get stuck in!

If you can lift to kinver on Sunday I would go and have a chat, also try popping over the road for a go on the clays, IIRC they charge £12 for 25 shots and great fun just head to the old farmhouse at the top of the bank and ask to have a go!