pellets

ben456

One guy blew a hole right through the peak of his cap because - after his gun had jammed - he thought it'd be a good idea to look down the barrel to see what was wrong. Then the gun fired. 70yds though? dubious. I take the point that if you're good with your mil-dot you can be theoretically good enough to hit the target, but it's not for me. 70yds is a heck of a long time between firing and impact, and as the range increases, so does the likelihood of variables ruining the shot - wind, quarry moving etc...

is there any different in these air arm pellets 177

The black & yellow tin is AA's new packaging. Have seen the link showing old batch, new batch cross sections but not sure the pellets actually changed at the same time as tins (2011).

You certainly can get FAC .177 rifles but have to say if going that route not sure why anyone wouldn't take the chance to move to .22 for the extra knock down power?

the distance is lazer range finded i never take a long shot if im not %100 sure on the distance thanks

Thanks. I was dubious, but after reading about your 5p sized 8 shot groups at 65 yds I'm less so now. Is there time to get this guy into the olympic squad?

• 4 weeks later...
:hmm: A 12 ftlb air rifle in 177 flavour at 65 yds will have lost 6 to 7 ftlb of energy so you are hitting your target with only pistol power 5 to 6 ftlb of energy thats not taking into account cross winds that will push a 177 pellet of target. The absolute max i would shoot at something that is alive is 50 yds. I have shot paper targets out to 100 yds with great success. But to make a clean kill you need some power on impact for the pellet to spread and dump its kinetic energy into the target (ie) shock to the internal organs. :good:

:hmm: A 12 ftlb air rifle in 177 flavour at 65 yds will have lost 6 to 7 ftlb of energy so you are hitting your target with only pistol power 5 to 6 ftlb of energy thats not taking into account cross winds that will push a 177 pellet of target. The absolute max i would shoot at something that is alive is 50 yds. I have shot paper targets out to 100 yds with great success. But to make a clean kill you need some power on impact for the pellet to spread and dump its kinetic energy into the target (ie) shock to the internal organs. :good:

I believe it takes 3lb of energy to take a rabbit out so going by your post and calculations you have more than double the energy required at that range.

Its not the air rifle that's inadequate at those ranges its the shooter and conditions surrounding it but I agree 65yds is more a chance to kill than I'd like to take

:no: 3 ftlb most 177 co2 pistols are doing more than that and i wouldn`t shoot anything alive with a co2 pistol. I have an HW45 thats doing 5.7 ftlb and a Crosman 2240 thats doing 5.5 ftlb and i only use them for very close range rats (ie) when putting bait down. I wouldn`t shoot a rabbit with a pistol doing 5.7 ftlb at close range. Whatever you shoot deserves a clean kill. :bye2: Edited by NIGHT SEARCHER

:no: 3 ftlb most co2 pistols are doing more than that and i wouldn`t shoot anything alive with a co2 pistol. I have an HW45 thats doing 5.7 ftlb and a Crosman 2240 thats doing 5.5 ftlb and i only use them for very close range rats (ie) when putting bait down. I wouldn`t shoot a rabbit with a pistol doing 5.7 ftlb at close range. Whatever you shoot deserves a clean kill. :bye2:

I think you've missed my point, if you could get close enough with your 'lower' power rifles/pistols then they are more than powerful to take live quarry. A .177 with a speed of 785fps and 8.4 grn pellet has at 70yds 5ftlb of energy which is more than enough to drop a bunny - I wouldn't condone or promote such a shoot but the rifle is capable, which is my point.

I think you need to go to your local rifle club so they can see your extreme talent... HFT is going to love you!

I know people running Lothar barrels on day state actions who wouldn't take them shots sub 12 ftlb with a .177

I think you need to go to your local rifle club so they can see your extreme talent... HFT is going to love you!

I know people running Lothar barrels on day state actions who wouldn't take them shots sub 12 ftlb with a .177

You need to read my post sir. I'm not capable of such a shot but the rifle is which is my only point!