62 yards pigeon

ben456

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A sentence containing pot and kettle springs to mind here. I wonder how many subsonics you could get into a 30mm rabbit kill zone at 180 yards.

You sound FAC elitist to me. :rolleyes:

You've completely ignored most of my post. I'm sure a .22lr could get all the shots within 30mm at 180 yards at least as well as an air gun could get it all within .7" at 65 yards - but I've never tried to, don't want to and I probably couldn't do it. I don't shoot rabbits at that distance with a .22, it's too far.

What I was saying was that with an air gun if you miss then the 6 ftlb's or so of remaining energy will wound it if it hits it anywhere other than the head - if the same thing happens with a round which holds more power when pushed to it's limits then the animal has a far greater chance of being fatally wounded if the head-shot strays to another part of the body - hit a rabbit in the body at 300 yards with a .22lr and I'd fully expect it to die quickly.

Using a gun that's being pushed near to the limit of it's accuracy and power (or beyond) that will deliver injury but not necessarily death when a shot goes wrong is highly irresponsible.

There are/were some threads about driven hare on here, quite a few people said don't wound them because they make an awful noise. How do they know that? Or had they just read it on here or summat.

There is also a thread about how many squirrels have been shot. I've shot loads of them over the years and it's not very often they are killed instantly. You can blow them in half and the front end still runs off. If anyone says they always manage to kill them cleanly or any other quarry for that matter they are lying.

If I'm shooting pigeons off my crops I shoot at them and think "ah well, maybe the noise will scare them away"

Anyway, as always on here, anything past the end of page two is just folks having mindless arguments. Enjoy yourselves. :)

A lot of people are over thinking this, how about forgetting the maths and getting out in the field? Seems there are a lot of chairgunners here, regurgitating recycled opinions.

Exactly, I don't need to know the minimum energy required to kill something at 60 or even 100 yards, or the theoretical possibilities of hitting a 5p 8 out of 10 times. I DO need to know that sub 12 ft/lb air rifles at ANY range require precise pellet placement for a clean kill, and the futher you throw that lead shuttle cock, the slower and more unstable it gets. Unlike a firearm, if you hit a rabbit anywhere other than brain, heart/lungs or spinal cord with an air rifle you won't kill it quickly - or even be able catch and dispatch it.

I've done it before and not had a second twitch from the quarry :hmm:

I shot a rabbit at 67 yards with a .177 that is set at around 11.3ft/lb. The rabbit keeled over dead, I've had stuff kick and thrash with a perfect headshot at much closer ranges (if I really wanted to wind people up I'd admit it was a left handed shot taken from the drivers seat whilst lamping). Distance was confirmed by my buddy who used his rangefinder to ping back to the car from the rabbit.

I've done it, I know it can be done. I'm willing to bet that some of those who have posted above me don't get out as much as I do and haven't practiced as much as I do to keep my eye in.

A sentence containing pot and kettle springs to mind here. I wonder how many subsonics you could get into a 30mm rabbit kill zone at 180 yards.

You sound FAC elitist to me. :rolleyes:

YOU HAVE JUST GIVEN US A NEW IDEA FOR THE CATTON SHOOT .22LR AT 180YRDS ON A 30MM SPOT

You've completely ignored most of my post. I'm sure a .22lr could get all the shots within 30mm at 180 yardsI BET IT CANT AND IM GOING TO MAKE A TARGET FOR PEOPLE TO TRY NOW at least as well as an air gun could get it all within .7" at 65 yards - but I've never tried to, don't want to and I probably couldn't do it. I don't shoot rabbits at that distance with a .22, it's too far.

What I was saying was that with an air gun if you miss then the 6 ftlb's or so of remaining energy will wound it if it hits it anywhere other than the head - if the same thing happens with a round which holds more power when pushed to it's limits then the animal has a far greater chance of being fatally wounded if the head-shot strays to another part of the body - hit a rabbit in the body at 300 yards with a .22lr and I'd fully expect it to die quickly.

Using a gun that's being pushed near to the limit of it's accuracy and power (or beyond) that will deliver injury but not necessarily death when a shot goes wrong is highly irresponsible.

Every shot with whatever weapon you use should aim to kill cleanly - anyone who thinks that it is acceptable to take a shot and accept on the balance of probability that their quarry - be it pigeon, rabbit, deer or whatever cannot be retrieved after the shot should NOT take that shot.

Yes, we all accept that a clean-kill shot can result in a wounded quarry that may occasionally not be retrievable but to take a shot where there is not at a very reasonable chance of a clean kill is a shot that should not be taken. I would never be comfortable with leaving wounded quarry to suffer and die as a result of an over-ambitious shot or one that is beyond my capabilities.

Anyone who thinks otherwise is [a] not a sportsman and an idiot to make comments like that on a public forum - and that goes for anyone encouraging someone to take such a shot.

By the way, this is not a dig at the person who shot a pigeon at 62 yards - he is obviously an accomplished shot but I do not use an air rifle, I do not shoot at birds that are not flying, and I am very happy when I clean kill a pigeon at say 35 yards with a shotgun

Edited by woodcock11

I shot a rabbit at 67 yards with a .177 that is set at around 11.3ft/lb. The rabbit keeled over dead, I've had stuff kick and thrash with a perfect headshot at much closer ranges (if I really wanted to wind people up I'd admit it was a left handed shot taken from the drivers seat whilst lamping). Distance was confirmed by my buddy who used his rangefinder to ping back to the car from the rabbit.

I've done it, I know it can be done. I'm willing to bet that some of those who have posted above me don't get out as much as I do and haven't practiced as much as I do to keep my eye in.

I don't think anyone is saying it can't be done, we're saying taking shots at live quarry at the extremes of what the tool is capable of is not good practice.

The fact that you used a range finder to get the distance after you shot the rabbit is a bit worrying, either you are incredibly good at range finding or, more likely, it was a lucky shot. BTW the POI change from 65 to 70 yards, using your details, is 2" - and at night with a lamp, left handed :blink:.

You've completely ignored most of my post. I'm sure a .22lr could get all the shots within 30mm at 180 yards at least as well as an air gun could get it all within .7" at 65 yards - but I've never tried to, don't want to and I probably couldn't do it. I don't shoot rabbits at that distance with a .22, it's too far.

Ah yes, sorry it was a crow you claimed to have shot without risk of injury with a .22lr at 180 yards. That's ok then right?

I can only guess you have never body shot a rabbit with a .22lr - even at 50 yards they will sometimes have the ability to do a runner and die somewhere slowly if the shot wasn't as good as it ought to have been. If you have never cocked up a shot (and regretted seeing the result) then I take my hat off to you.

I think you might be thinking about one of these:

post-2210-0-35360000-1334526591.jpg

Edited by Dave-G

Ah yes, sorry it was a crow you claimed to have shot without risk of injury with a .22lr at 180 yards. That's ok then right?

The chances of a .22lr hitting it and not fatally wounding it are very slim. An air gun is far more likely to cause a far slower death or permanent injury, at long range it's simply got no power.

I can only guess you have never body shot a rabbit with a .22lr - even at 50 yards they will sometimes have the ability to do a runner and die somewhere slowly if the shot wasn't as good as it ought to have been. If you have never cocked up a shot (and regretted seeing the result) then I take my hat off to you.

I didn't say I've never messed up a shot (that's impossible for anyone who actually shoots), what I'm saying is that when using a rifle that's not short of power you are far more likely to avoid nasty wounds.

Air guns will wound but not kill if they don't hit the exact spot - there is no doubt about that, which means that pushing them out at distances where many factors make it easy to miss is just cruel.

Edited by bedwards1966

to much room for error imo at those ranges on pigeons with standard 12 ftlb air rifle.

im not knocking the person everyone wants to improve there ranges and there is nothing wrong with that.

but really should get the right kit for the job if your going to extend the range.

so a move up to fac air.

though i never really found it extended range much. just gave better knock down power.

which is only a good thing

Edited by jamie g

There will always be half empty glasses and half full glasses ,I like reading posts like this just a shame people get upset if he says he can hit a five pence piece he can ,I used to shoot for the forces and was a very good shot people on here would say I couldn't hit wot I use to hit on the ranges ( old ten pence piece at two hundred yards ) not all the time ,end of the day he killed the prey ,keep up the good shooting every one

look i don't think are be sharing my shooting any more.It's all getting stupid :angry:

Ben all through life you'll realise that some people can and some people can't, those that can't will try their best to undermine you, take great pride in proving them wrong :good:

Do your video and then serve em a big slice of humble pie :yes: