62 yards pigeon

ben456

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

is there another way to look at this? when shooting pheasant low shots aren't taken because its unsporting, surely we should be encouraging a sporting shot and therefore only shoot at say 50 and over?

when you blasted that deer in the head with the .177 you said it was sporting :lol: :lol:

(Note to all: this is a joke. Artschool NEVER did this :rolleyes::lol: )

Dont we all, and there is nothing more disappointing when it happens, was just sticking up for the lad. Imagine his disappointment, he is pleased with himself, over the moon, takes a pic, pops it on his favourite forum, only to be torn to bits by some folk!!

I (and I'm sure others too) am not trying to tear the OP to bits, it may be good shooting but I'm simply trying to point out that it's not humane to push a gun out to the limits where a slightly damaged pellet skirt, breath of wind, 4 yard distance miscalculation etc will cause an injury instead of quick death to the quarry being shot. It's good shooting when these things are done at targets, not live animals.

is there another way to look at this? when shooting pheasant low shots aren't taken because its unsporting, surely we should be encouraging a sporting shot and therefore only shoot at say 50 and over?

This is not about pheasant's or sport !! its vermin control !!

As my old gran used to say, If you havent got anything good to say dont say anything at all.

As my old gran used to say, If you havent got anything good to say dont say anything at all.

my old gran used to say "little birds in their nest agree" :good:

but then she wasn't shooting them at 62 yards :lol:

Edited by artschool

So are you saying that just because the quarry is vermin, it is OK to shoot and wound and let the quarry suffer - remember this post started with shooting pigeons - a most sporting bird which is sometimes referred to as the "grey grouse".

Suffering should never ever be part of what a true sportsman does and please remember that this is a public forum.

Quote woodcock11

So are you saying that just because the quarry is vermin, it is OK to shoot and wound and let the quarry suffer - remember this post started with shooting pigeons - a most sporting bird which is sometimes referred to as the "grey grouse".

Suffering should never ever be part of what a true sportsman does and please remember that this is a public forum.

I hope this isn't too sensible for this thread but...

"a most sporting bird" sounds like "Ooh there's one, let's see if I can get a quick shot at it" But no worries if I don't because it's a sporting shot, haw haw haw. :lol:

So the potential injury of a moving "sporting" bird which is absolutely totally unneccessary to shoot in the general direction of and hope enough of a pattern of lead pellets hits it hard enough in enough vital areas to bring it down quickly is ok, but a potential bad pellet or gust of wind from a calm aimed shot at static vermin which is neccessary to be rid of isn't on then?

That pot really is trying to be a kettle and you've as good as admitted that on a public forum :P

Edited by Dave-G

Bit off the main topic with the pheasant thing. A 'sporting' shot is one that is within the range of your gun, cartridge and ability, but not too low as to make it a mullering.

If you don't know about pheasant shooting, don't talk about pheasant shooting. Just another example of an armchair opinion being regurgitated by somebody who is trying to keep up with the subject matter.

...and don't worry about it bein too sensible, you didn't even come close.

And as my Ol gran used to say, "Dont walk into the pub, and **** against the bar!" As it happens, she never used to say that, but what im saying is would you walk into your new job and start telling people what to do? Nope, didnt think so. Same on forums. You have to earn the right to have your opinion respected.

My hats go off to all those who have been out shooting pigeons and managed each and every shot with either a clean miss or a clean kill. Be it 10 yards or 40 yards or 60 yards . I think your all lying if you can tell me that you have never shot a bird further than your limits and hit it , then watched as it flew to the woods or over then next field only to spiral out of the sky to the ground below . You tell me that was a clean shot and a quick kill . One word springs to mind and thats hyprocrites .

Daz

Edited by deejay

My hats go off to all those who have been out shooting pigeons and managed each and every shot with either a clean miss or a clean kill. Be it 10 yards or 40 yards or 60 yards . I think your all lying if you can tell me that you have never shot a bird further than your limits and hit it , then watched as it flew to the woods or over then next field only to spiral out of the sky to the ground below . You tell me that was a clean shot and a quick kill . One word springs to mind and thats hyprocrites .

Daz

god we are not talking shotguns we are talking air rifle under 12 pound at 62 yards get a grip i have had air rifles all my life .rapid 7s was my last before i got fac and shotgun carts so dont tell me about 62 yards shots.les