62 yards pigeon

ben456

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

But can you consistantly group your killing area at that rnge in all conditions?

If not then the chance of you wounding was too high to justify such a shot.

Leave the long range feats to paper punching and get close enough to increase your chances of a humane shot to 100%

HP

good shot mate, shot one today at 52 yds with aas200 was windy too aimed high and factored in the wind did nt think i would hit it to be honest but killed it stone dead. :yes: if you happen to wound it, its only a pigeon [ an agricultural pest], i think everyone has pricked them with a shotgun at sometime. even seen george digweed wound them on video and no one can doubt his shooting :no:

Popcorn for this one deffo ! ;)

Reckon your right. :yes: However, the point is he pulled of a cracking shot, humane and skilled. There will be plenty of others on here who have tried at much less range and wounded the quarry with a variety of weapons. Within reason, range to me is irrelevant. Its wether the guy behind the gun is skilled at what he does. When we pull the trigger, most of the time we believe we can hit the target. Look at what is considered a good cart/kill ratio, 2-1? Congratulations all round if its that low :yes: So what happened to the 260 pellets from the cartridge that missed?

I am just an average shot, and I can pop a.177 pellet into a 20mm circle at 55yds in what I consider perfect conditions through my hw100 8 out of ten times. Thats a far better average than 2-1 with a shotgun :yes: People in glass houses imho :yes:

Edited by turbo33

Ben mentioned in another thread that he frequently took 60yrd plus shots and turned a few heads. He's obviously very confident in long range shots and has no shame in admitting that.

I however am not that confident, and will stick to probably half that distance. Pests or not, they deserved to be cleaned cleanly and at 60yrds plus, I personally couldn't guarantee that.

But can you consistantly group your killing area at that rnge in all conditions?

If not then the chance of you wounding was too high to justify such a shot.

Leave the long range feats to paper punching and get close enough to increase your chances of a humane shot to 100%

HP

If you are confidant to kill it then carry on...as been said birds get pricked, we all like a clean kill.

Some people will type away with no pictures of what they have shot and still advice you on how to take yours.. :oops:

TEH

Reckon your right. :yes: However, the point is he pulled of a cracking shot, humane and skilled....

Agreed. Long shots can be pulled off consistently with lots of paper punching practice and some common sense (ie regard for the conditions). However there are many people who aren't capable and therefore assume that because they aren't, nobody else is. You can generally identify them fairly easily by the comments like " That's irresponsible shooting" etc.

As far as I'm concerned, great shot mate! :good:

Seems like a decent shot to me. If someone's comfortable taking them at that range, and can do it consistently I don't see a problem.

I'd be more concerned about posts like this:

if you happen to wound it, its only a pigeon [ an agricultural pest]

:no:

sorry if i offended anyone chaps, perhaps i worded it wrong, i was meaning its not a deer or gamebird/animal. farmers and landowners expect us lot to kill pigeons and more the merier if theres a chance of a kill take the shot! sorry again if i caused any upset. of course i respect the woopigeon wouldn't of joined this forum otherwise.

Edited by aga man

I'm a farmer and as far as I'm concerned you can wound the bloody lot of them!

If you only think you might be able to kill it, take the shot.

These people that say you must have respect, mustn't pull the trigger if you are not 100% sure of a clean kill etc. they are talking ****.

It's them that should stick to paper punching.

Fantastic shot mate, well done and hope you do it again many times. :good:

It sounds like a good shot to me, and while paper punching is possibly the best way to increase ability and let you find your limits, it isnt going to give you a shot like this that will live in your memory for a long time, like the first time you head shoot a rabbit at 100+ yards or shoot a pigeon that seems like it is in space :good:

I still disagree with you other lads who say that it is only a pigeon and wounding is acceptable, whether your a farmer or not :no: . Of course those times happen when something is not killed cleanly but I think it is important to keep that duty to despatch at the front of your mind when out, whether it is a pigeon or a fox or whatever

thanks all.... iv been hitting paper for a long time at all ranges.And seem to getting a 5p grouping with 8 pellets at 65yards so that's why i go for long range shot's its a risk sometimes if there are branches in the way of a head shot or a heart shot.But i wait for that right moment.Im used to long range shot's now and i have shoot a rabbit today at 56 yards lazer range finded clean head shot coulden't wish for a better shot and the pellet went straight though the head.Also when im out shooing targets what i do is put 5p with a hole in hanged by wire at ranges them up to 60yards.And if i do static hunting i pick thing's to shoot such as small marking on trees,bottle lids and su on.So im mostly smack on.I have wounded a rabbit before and a pigeon but now i hardley miss.I think for me to shoot at this range is somthing to be proud of.Hopefully i can prove it when i get my new video camrea

THIS IS THE ONE I SHOOT TODAY 56 YARDS/NOW HE'S IN THE POT FOR MY DOG

post-57437-0-57421300-1334434080.jpg

post-57437-0-71918200-1334434100.jpg

Edited by ben456

I don't wish to doubt, but 8 shots in the size of a 5p at 65 yards I find hard to believe, not just down to human skill but due to the variants in the rifle. The aa400 is a very good rifle but its unregulated,pellet weights vary (even in the same tin!!!)and the slightest wind at that distance has an effect. I know a lot of the FT (field target) lads and these guys know air guns, who would give their granny's right arm for those sort of results!!!!!

I don't wish to doubt, but 8 shots in the size of a 5p at 65 yards I find hard to believe, not just down to human skill but due to the variants in the rifle. The aa400 is a very good rifle but its unregulated,pellet weights vary (even in the same tin!!!)and the slightest wind at that distance has an effect. I know a lot of the FT (field target) lads and these guys know air guns, who would give their granny's right arm for those sort of results!!!!!

Gotta agree a 5p group at 60yrds sounds like porkies to me you'd be a world champion if that was the case IMHO !!

Yup, I agree. 65 yards is a long way for a tiny bit of lead to go and at those speeds, and in the field, you'll be be an exceptional shot to hit a 2" target 8 out of 10 times even in calm conditions. Fair enough you got the kill this time but I feel that this may be a bit of a fisherman's tale when it comes to your stats.