Help / advice needed

monkeyjaimz

Good afternoon all.

Bitter sweet situation I'm in really, I'm relocating from Lincolnshire to Cambridge week after next.

Managed to get through 3 seperate interviews for my new job, now finding it very hard to find rental property in the area and impossible to find anywhere that will let me keep the dogs.

Zak is a collie x lab, lives to retrieve and wants to spend every waking moment with you.

Nando is a black lab x weimeraner, looks just a heavy set & muscley black lab really.

Both boys are around 2 years old, obedient and very good natured. No chewing of furniture etc (anymore!)

I never thought I'd either think or talk about letting them go but it seems it may end up being a decision I'm forced to make.

Any ideas / thoughts very welcome

Jim.

Without a doubt 'Dogs Trust'

They vow that they never put a healthy dog down whereas some kennels/rescue groups only have the facilities & budget to house(kennels) a dog for a certain period of time before they have to euthenase.

faced with eviction/repossession and financial ruin we had to make the decision to sell and pay off our debts and find rental accommodation but couldn't find anything thatwould accept two ESS quickly enough :( :(

Hi Jim,

I sympathise with your position. Its an awful one to be in.

If you cannot rehome the dogs with someone you know personally, it then becomes desperate as you get close to leaving or relocating .

If I were you I would contact Dogs Trust and ask if they can help. They will obviously try and advice you as best they can without taking the dogs from you, but its best to start looking at the distinct possibility that you will have to go without the dogs. They are big boys and not everyone wants a big dog.

Dogs Trust have rehoming centres throughout the Country and may have a potential owner for them somewhere.

I would like to point out that I have no connection whatsoever with them but have in the past had dealings with them and have found them to be very good and primarily concerned in helping the dog!

Good luck!

So sorry to hear of your situation Jim, that is really tough decision that you have to take. Do keep looking, if it's a shooting dog then perhaps someone on PW may be interesting in looking after. I don't suppose you have any family who could look after them for a while, as that would be the best chance of you getting them back.

I might be attacked for suggesting this - but can you leave the dogs with someone while you get moved in, then bring the dogs when things are sorted?

Provided the place is not filthy and is obviously not damaged in any way from the dogs, most landlords won't be bothered if they end up discovering the dogs and see they're causing no harm. What they worry about is people having dogs that chew everything, scratch everything and make the place stink, then the tenant moving out and leaving without paying for the damage.

I know I'd be trying that before even considering getting rid of a dog.

Edited by bedwards1966

I honestly don`t envy your predicament mate.

One suggestion i can make is if you find a house to rent is offer the landlord an extra deposit that would cover the dogs while you are there.

I hate seeing anyone having to part with their dogs, i feel more sorry for the dogs than i do the owner.

Good luck mate.

I might be attacked for suggesting this - but can you leave the dogs with someone while you get moved in, then bring the dogs when things are sorted?

Provided the place is not filthy and is obviously not damaged in any way from the dogs, most landlords won't be bothered if they end up discovering the dogs and see they're causing no harm. What they worry about is people having dogs that chew everything, scratch everything and make the place stink, then the tenant moving out and leaving without paying for the damage.

I know I'd be trying that before even considering getting rid of a dog.

I own dogs and I'm a landlord. My new tennants did this to me, I checked the property and you wouldn't know a dog lived there so the dog stays. If they would have told me before hand that they had a dog I would have said no.

Good Luck

Thanks for all the advice guys, we're going down again on Thursday to view a few houses and hopefully get our lass a job.

The first place we're looking at might be ok with the dogs, and I'm told I can get a good reference from my current landlord - so I'm fairly hopeful at the moment.

There have been plenty of people telling me to let the dogs go etc but it really would have to be an absolute last resort.

And it really was great to have someone else's perspective on the whole thing.

We'll have to see how it goes on Thursday and go from there I guess, although I can't actually picture moving down there and being without the boys to be honest.

This situation (and no kids) by landlords should be banned. It's bad for society as a whole. I'd never give up my dogs, I'd move them in, if they really wanted to kick me out I'd withhold rent and let the landlord go through the long process of having me evicted. No time for it, why can't they double the security deposit to cover damage?

Just when all seemed to be going so well.

Had viewings booked for tomorrow, called the agent for the 1st and most promising one and she tells me that it's been let this afternoon!!

Then says that the other property I was due to view with her definately doesn't allow pets. Furious doesn't even come close!

I wonder if the unprofessional scumbag (sounds harsh but I'm upset) would have had the decency to let me know if I hadn't happened to have called them myself today.

Back to the drawing board again now, places are so stupidly thin on the ground it's unreal. Gotta love the "inform them as late as possible" style of business also.

Fingers crossed for the remaining 2.

Jim.

A couple of my tennants have dogs, I have no problems with it. They pay on time and keep the place a lot cleaner than some non dog owners that I have rented to in the past.

I recommend speaking to the local council housing department as they also deal with private landlords and often have lots of available property on file. You shouldnt have to pay any fees, and nor does the landlord so everybody is happy.

Your landlord need never know you have a dog anyway, they have to give you good notice of a visit and just hide it's bowls and send it for a walk with the Mrs.