Magpie shooting tips

hedd-wyn

I've notice that there seems to be more than a few magpies on my permission and the farmer has asked me to take a shot at them if I get the chance.

Whilst I have no problems with copping the crows with a 12g, the magpies either seem to be perched in the trees behind my hide, or by the sheds and silage pit where a 12g would be unsuitable.

I have recently bought myself an air rifle for yard and shed shooting and was wondering if anyone has any tips in getting a shot at these corvids as they never seem to fly in front of my hide and never allow me take a shot with the shotgun.

So air rifle it is boys.

ATB

Hedd

Edited by hedd-wyn

I've notice that there seems to be more than a few magpies on my permission and the farmer has asked me to take a shot at them if I get the chance.

Whilst I have no problems with copping the crows with a 12g, the magpies either seem to be perched in the trees behind my hide, or by the sheds and silage pit where a 12g would be unsuitable.

I have recently bought myself an air rifle for yard and shed shooting and was wondering if anyone has any tips in getting a shot at these corvids as they never seem to fly in front of my hide and never allow me take a shot with the shotgun.

So air rifle it is boys.

ATB

Hedd

a dead rabbit normally does the trick they cant resist them leave it hole dont need to draw the guts

colin

if you manage to shoot a few of these, you have done very well. i feel though that one you have taken a couple they will shy up.

atb aga man.

I agree, they do seem more screwed on in comparison to crows. You can hear the bloody things but never seem to come into range.

I agree, they do seem more screwed on in comparison to crows. You can hear the bloody things but never seem to come into range.

too right. i suppose stepped up crow tactics are the only way with an air rifle and plently of patience. certainly gonne be a challenge for ya mate.

Magpies are number 1 on my list.

You have to respect them for being so clever and sharp.

Try a bunny turned inside out, but good luck and stay well concealed and don't move. They will be off at the slightest whiff of something not being right.

In fairness, if you want rid of a magpie you can't beat a larsen trap - their killer instinct (to attack another magpie on their patch) just takes over and makes them mental.

Indeed, if you want airgun sport, get a larsen trap, shove a call bird in and shoot them when they land on / near it :yes:

Magpies are number 1 on my list.

You have to respect them for being so clever and sharp.

Try a bunny turned inside out, but good luck and stay well concealed and don't move. They will be off at the slightest whiff of something not being right.

In fairness, if you want rid of a magpie you can't beat a larsen trap - their killer instinct (to attack another magpie on their patch) just takes over and makes them mental.

Indeed, if you want airgun sport, get a larsen trap, shove a call bird in and shoot them when they land on / near it :yes:

I've already thought of a good concealed spot in one of the hay barns right next to where I've spotted them.

I gathered that this was going to be a challenge, but we don't want it too easy do we? ;)

You reckon they'l stand still enough to take a shot? With a larsen trap?

Sorry if I come across thick, but what do you mean when you say 'shove a call bird in?' :blush:

Cheers

Hedd

The way a larsen trap works is that a call bird (being a magpie sourced from a different area) is kept in one compartment of the larsen trap and the trap is then set, such that when the resident magpies try and attack and kill the retained call bird magpie they will jump into one of the other sprung loaded sections / chambers to the larsen trap. The larsen trap normally has a sprung loaded door / trap door which is set off by the magpie entering the trap and dislodging a trip wire or trip stick.

Have a google.

There's no such thing as a daft question unless it involves airguns, foxes or shooting out to 60 yards.

its best if you can shoot them from a shed window or somewhere where you can be set back , by that I mean if you can shoot from a shed / Barn the dont stick the gun out of the window but set up further back with a good bench rest or something and as said use a rabbit for bait , cammo yourself up too face veil gloves etc.

Once you get one they tend to come in full of hell that one of there members are KIA . I managed 7 one year before they got the hint but you got to be quick.

As said a rabbit does the trick and it doesnt need to be open , Just dead .

Good luck

Daz

Any thoughts on the old homemade straw nest, eggs and decoy trick?? :hmm:

I live right next to a wood and my garden fence is 1 metre from my house and the wood is directly behind the fence,when I put food out for the birds every day occasionally some days,I get to hear the chittering of a lone Magpie upon realising he is alone I let him come back and forth several times by this time he has family accomplices,I then leave my window open for say 2 days to get them used to it being open,then when the first scout Magpie comes to feed I take him out and quickly dispose of the carcass,a few minutes later his family members will come looking for him,this then gives me an opportunity to take another,I keep feeding the area until I have rid them all,it will take a few weeks but they are greedy birds and cannot resist a freeby,I do this every year and after the breeding season when the parent birds are introducing their young to the food I have had as many as 15 Maggies in 1 month,

So,why not try and get your Magpies used to feeding in one area of the farm yard and put your hide up in the area so they get used to seeing it each time they visit to feed,I think you will succeed this way even tho it may take you a month to shot several birds.try it. :good:

The same applied to the squirrels,each time one climed onto the feeders I shot it,disposed of it and low and behold a day later another and so on,last year from October to September I had 21 shot on the bird feeders. :yes:

Edited by CoolhandMal

Put a ferret in a cage in field watch the magpies come in

Check the General Licence. This is not allowed.

This is though:

P1020164.jpg

Use a decoy magpie over a kill. This one is one I shot and mounted on a stick, but plastic deeks work too. Make your hide so that you have a clear view and shot of the kill zone without moving. Then place your deadbait and deek out. Wait for magpie to come in. Also works with crows especially if you put a branch or other raised object for them to perch on near to the deek. Preferably set your position up behind the perch so it is less likely to see you.

As with all corvid shooting, the next few months are the best. They become very territorial and intolerant of other corvids.

never had much luck with the old egg trick; they seem too suspicious! It's worth taking a box of matches with you too - by far and away the easiest method of mimicking a magpie's call! works a treat for me. and yeah you have to be pretty darn sharp on the shots as they don't hang around stationary for long. Bait can help with this but even so they're wary blighters. they are also sociable and are known to have sentry birds high on tree tops/telegraph poles. If you spook one, even if your target bird doesn't see you, it's game over! Patience and very little movement is the key!

I have alot of sucsess using a magpie decoy on a gate with bread, grain or a dead bunny 5 foot in front of it, make sure that there are plenty of places for the angry birds to land in your line of sight and keep still!! I have used some wire out of an old hub cap to make like a lofting magpie decoy that will hang on just about anything! Ill put up the pics if you are interested. Happy hunting!

I have alot of sucsess using a magpie decoy on a gate with bread, grain or a dead bunny 5 foot in front of it, make sure that there are plenty of places for the angry birds to land in your line of sight and keep still!! I have used some wire out of an old hub cap to make like a lofting magpie decoy that will hang on just about anything! Ill put up the pics if you are interested. Happy hunting!

Yes mate very interested :good: I was thinking of buying some decoys this weekend to be honest nut wan't sure if they were effective or not.