Pigeons and pellets

Mr Majyk

Right im peeved off!

I just had a perfect shot on a pigeon in a tree behind my workshop and the little feathered flying meal had the cheek to fly off AFTER i put a 14.2 grain hollow point into his chest (just above the breast bone) using my webley air rifle. and it suddenly brought up the old argument in my head of what pellet is best? so i thought id put it to you lot? what would you use? dome, flat top or hollow point? i always was under the impression that hollow points were best as they "transfer more energy into the target" but another person once told me that flat tops were best because they got better penetration thus causing more damage?

any thoughts are much appreciated! :good:

I use AA field in .22 very accurate and hard hitting, the thing to remember with pigeons is that the breast is packed tightly with feathers and is almost like a bullet proof vest.

My choice of shot for pigeon is either head, neck or just below the wing joint if visible. You will probably find the little rascal about 50yds away on the floor.

I use AA field in .22 very accurate and hard hitting, the thing to remember with pigeons is that the breast is packed tightly with feathers and is almost like a bullet proof vest.

My choice of shot for pigeon is either head, neck or just below the wing joint if visible. You will probably find the little rascal about 50yds away on the floor.

On the money. If you shoot pigeon with a .22 try and avoid frontal chest shots (OK with FAC level) as they damage too much usable meat anyway. It's best to shoot them side on or from behind if possible. Although I prefer .22 generally, I believe the girl calibre to have the edge for frontal shots to the body as it's more likely to punch and carry feather through to the heart and insides. I don't believe domed, flat head, pointed or hollow could be scientifically proved to be better at sub 12 energy levels, accuracy counts more and for that the domed variety usually wins out beyond 30 yards.

"My choice of shot for pigeon is either head, neck or just below the wing joint if visible. You will probably find the little rascal about 50yds away on the floor."

I Usually go for the neck but i had a nice frontal shot and aimed just above the breast bone next time i'll aim straight for the neck in future. i also had a good look round for it, climbing up on the roof to as he flew over me, was hopeing hed save me the hassle of digging him out the undergrowth and land at my feet haha :lol: but he swooped up and above the roof at the last second. darn it! and it was the last i needed for my pie! :oops:

I found chest shots were a waste of time with .22 sub 12ftlbs. Head, neck or from behind and base of neck were my fav's or the only i would get was a good sounding impact with a few feathers and the flying kebab was off.

There chest is practically armoured (imho) vs a sub fac gun.

If you are getting feathers coming out then the pellet is travelling straight through and that is the problem. Hard pellets such as Logun Penetrators and Thunderbolts for example are useless on pigeons IMO. I don't have a problem with chest shots on pigeons, but I use AA Fields or JSB Exacts. They drop the pigeons and are found inside having the perfect balance between penetration and transmission of trauma.

I reckon the OP probabally hit the breastbone and with a hollow point pellet got no penetration at all.

Hollow points on a chest shot for a pigeon-really?Hollow points are designed to prevent over penetration at short range and thus deliver the pellets entire energy and are ideal for rat shooting.As for the idiot who told you that "flat topped" pellets were best for penetration-was he licking glass at the time?Forget fancy pellets and use the best performing dome head that you can find for your gun.Then sell it and get a .177 :good::lol:

If you are getting feathers coming out then the pellet is travelling straight through and that is the problem. Hard pellets such as Logun Penetrators and Thunderbolts for example are useless on pigeons IMO. I don't have a problem with chest shots on pigeons, but I use AA Fields or JSB Exacts. They drop the pigeons and are found inside having the perfect balance between penetration and transmission of trauma.

I reckon the OP probabally hit the breastbone and with a hollow point pellet got no penetration at all.

AA fields or JSB Exacts you say? well i'll give them a go! and see how it goes! either way i want me some more damn pigeon! ever since i had my first im hooked! tastes lovely! :good:

I use Crosman Premier Ultra Magnums. 14.3 grain, no problems with bad pellets (been shooting them for over 11 months now and not had one pellet that was unusable, unlike JSB pellets.. I go for head shots where possible, if not then side shot just below and in front of wing, if not through the back between the shoulders (where the wings are) all knock em dead!

Having pigeon pie tonight as a matter of fact...

Edited by secretagentmole

Find the most accurate pellet for your rifle for the type of range you normally shoot at, personally i would forget hollow points ( fine for short range ratting ) not that great out to 30 40 yards. find a decent round headed pellet. Then head shots or neck shots only. Some people that have FAC air still only take head and neck shots only as the woodie is one tough bird especially the chest, when you get one cut the breast out and you'll see what i mean.

In front of a pigeons chest is its crop, this is usually full of undigested food such as rape etc. To shoot them with an air rifle you do have to aim a fair way back as the chest is behind the crop or head shoot them. Personally I gave up shooting them with an air rifle as I had to many wounded birds. Shotguns and if safe powder rifles do a far better job.

A