Eye Dominance

Dustem Dave

Quick question, my shooting seems to have taken a steep nosedive recently and i can,t work out why,same gun,same cartridge etc. I read somewhere that in your 40s your eye dominance can change,i,ve had an eye test all good no need for glasses yet. So in the shower tonight i pointed my finger at the tile joints with both eyes open (right hand) i then closed my right eye and my finger was pointing an inch to the left of the joint,closed my left eye and it was pointing an inch to the right,does this mean i,ve centrall vision,not very sceintific i know but can,t work out whats going wrong.

Quick question, my shooting seems to have taken a steep nosedive recently and i can,t work out why,same gun,same cartridge etc. I read somewhere that in your 40s your eye dominance can change,i,ve had an eye test all good no need for glasses yet. So in the shower tonight i pointed my finger at the tile joints with both eyes open (right hand) i then closed my right eye and my finger was pointing an inch to the left of the joint,closed my left eye and it was pointing an inch to the right,does this mean i,ve centrall vision,not very sceintific i know but can,t work out whats going wrong.

Try pointing at a more distant object.

webber

And remember if in shower, just because it's small...doesn't mean it's far away :blink: ,

Try putting a mini maglite down barrel and use the focused spot beam to pick out right angles on walls in your front room,garage. DON'T DO IT ALONG THE GUTTERING,DRAINPIPES OR YOUR NEIGHBOURS MAY GET UPSET!!

Have you thought of maybe an optic fibre eye dominace bead such as the Easyhit?

atvb

sg1

You could try masking some shooting glasses.

A bit of scotch tape to obscure the rib of the gun from your left eye. Cheap ,reversible and you don't lose all of your peripheral vision, I use a 1cm square. Made a huge difference to me, it was only on certain targets that I struggled badly though. Springing teal, and low, quartering, incoming birds most noticeably.

A bit of scotch tape to obscure the rib of the gun from your left eye. Cheap ,reversible and you don't lose all of your peripheral vision, I use a 1cm square. Made a huge difference to me, it was only on certain targets that I struggled badly though. Springing teal, and low, quartering, incoming birds most noticeably.

Well teal are one of the worst at the moment,unless i,m just going through a long bad patch

very sound advice. same happened to me but the obscuring of the left eye puts it all back to where it should be.

very sound advice. same happened to me but the obscuring of the left eye puts it all back to where it should be.

had the same problem, got some eye dominance patches and it changed instantly, doesnt affect your vision when looking about normally, its only when you mount the gun that it blocks your left eye, you can go down to about a 5mm patch if you get it spot on. try it :good:

Right tried my finger at longer range and it was similar so i got the gun out,mounting on a distant object with both eyes open, i then closed my left eye and my gun was spot on where i was looking, so i don,t know whether this proves anything :hmm:

It may be that you have 'cross dominance' (don't panic!) it means that both eyes see the same, neither one is dominant. Therefore when you do the pointed finger test the eyes both see the finger not moving. My youngest son has the same. We only discovered it when I was trying to explain the dominant eye situaution to him. It was a first to me but easily sorted as discussed earlier by obscuring the left eye if you are right handed or visa versa if left handed. I imagine that when you shoot either eye can for that split second take over and give you the problem you decsribed initially.

Right tried my finger at longer range and it was similar so i got the gun out,mounting on a distant object with both eyes open, i then closed my left eye and my gun was spot on where i was looking, so i don,t know whether this proves anything :hmm:

Do the CD test..... Also try doing the same with the gun and close the other eye

I'm not sure what it is with my eyes but some days I'm right eye dominent (right handed) and others my left eye tries to take over. This usually happens if I've had a skin full the night before or if I'm a bit tired. I've stuck a small dot of tape (about 7mm) on my shooting glasses so when I have them on and close my right eye with the gun mounted I can't see my end bead. When shooting with both eyes open I see where the clays are coming from when from the left but when pointing the gun I know I'm using my right eye for sighting.

Give it a go, it's not going to cost you anything and if it doesn't work for you peel it off

In that instance it says your eye dominance is ok and right eyed. As several people have mentioned though it is possible for this to change - permanently or for minutes / hours at a time.

I sometimes miss a shot then realise that what I "saw" was the clay and a view along the side of the barrels rather than along the rib. Next shot I mount and address the kill zone close my left eye briefly, demount and call for the clay, that seems to remind my brain what it should be doing!

The Scotch tape on shooting glasses or specs works really well for some folk, I used a piece of clingfilm for a while (no sticky residue) but have now fitted an optic fibre front sight (which I am not that sure makes any real difference as my left eye still takes over periodically) and do as above. If it became worse I would go back to clingfilm or one of the "dot" systems.

You can have your eye dominance tested by a proper optician. I'm 54 and know for certain that I'm cross dominant. The optician set a test up in one of those bits of kit where you have to rest your chin on cup like stand and look into binocular type device - the test showed a green and red vertical bar one above the other. The weird bit was sometimes I could seen the green bar and then seconds later I'd lose the green and see the red and then the red would disappear and I'd see green.

My brain was selecting each eye separately and using it as the dominant image source - and I had absolutely no control at all. I now find the target with both eyes open and then take the shot with the left eye shut - it works.

Before you worry about changing eye dominance I would go back to some basics. Pick a couple of stands that are relatively easy and get someone, preferably a coach, to watch you. There are loads of things you could have changed over time without realising it. Just for example, not pointing your foot where you want to break the clay, not picking the gun up with both hands as you mount and so on. Take a bit of time to recheck as from what you've said it isn't changing eye dominance.

Just to give you my own example. Shooting teal stand on rapport. I normally have no real problems with this clay but on one day missed time and time again. One of the group is a coach and noticed I wasn't bringing the front of the gun up i.e. I was bringing the gun up mainly with the stock hand. I was also dropping the gun quite low between shots. So, picked the gun up level with both hands and didn't drop it more than 9 inches from the shoulder between shots. Result - hit everything that followed and then shot the stand as pairs. The thing is, I thought I hadn't changed anything.

Do the CD test...

I didn't find that reliable. I think that because I 'knew' my right eye was dominant, my brain ensured it always was when I put myself in a test situation.

I could bang the CD cleanly back to my right eye every time, 5 minutes later I'd be aware that I was focussing with my left eye again. I am cross dominant and it will change through the course of a round of clays, probably as I get a little more tired.

I didn't find that reliable. I think that because I 'knew' my right eye was dominant, my brain ensured it always was when I put myself in a test situation.

I could bang the CD cleanly back to my right eye every time, 5 minutes later I'd be aware that I was focussing with my left eye again. I am cross dominant and it will change through the course of a round of clays, probably as I get a little more tired.

Cross dominance (centre vision) and switching dominance is different i think there are several tests and you have to stare at a far object (i'm sure there are more scientific tests) I'm really left eye and always have been and can do odd things with my eyes......

Cross dominance (centre vision) and switching dominance is different i think there are several tests and you have to stare at a far object (i'm sure there are more scientific tests) I'm really left eye and always have been and can do odd things with my eyes......

Actually we're both wrong, cross dominance is when you're right handed but left master eye or vice versa. :blush:

I have as you said, changing/switching dominance, where sometimes I use my left to focus and sometimes right.

You can also try raising your thumb on the fore hand to blank out the veiw to the left eye, this helps the right eye to take control again.

The thumb comes free with most hands and is re usable if found not to have helped.

Like all other suggestions, it works for some and not for others.

Edited by bakerboy