Anyone fancy giving me a quote for some windows?

maverick123

Hello,

I have asked a few local companies to quote for some new windows for an old farm house I am renovating, I need 30 windows made, wooden single glazed in primer. They have to fit a specific spec for planning permissions etc so thought with the wealth of backgrounds on here I might ask about!

I want someone reputable so an ideas or names that are not going to cost me a million billion pounds would be great! already had one company waste 2 weeks of my time and quote silly money!

pm me for more info or if you can help or recommend!

Thanks!!

The first local trades man quoted me over 1500 per window! 50k for windows! hoping some others will be a touch more realistic with their quotes!

Safestyle wanted £2800 for three windows and a door, the first local company refused to sell us a door (which is odd) and wanted £1900 for three windows :no:

...I got a quote today for £1350 for the whole lot, happy days.

We have just had the plastic man in and during the conversation he showed us his photo albumn - A pair of semi's - one owned by Mother and next door owned by daughter - The quote was for both house's but the son who was an architect wanted his mothers house in wooden windows to match the old - when the quote came he was an instant convert to plastic and both houses were done for £13k - both front windows up and down were bay's - wooden were around 50k mark per house.

Wood is not cheap -20 yrs ago 2 double and three single sash windows cost me just over £3k

Now in this house I have my first ever plastic windows you can stick sash where sun doesn't shine.

Dave

We have just had the plastic man in and during the conversation he showed us his photo albumn - A pair of semi's - one owned by Mother and next door owned by daughter - The quote was for both house's but the son who was an architect wanted his mothers house in wooden windows to match the old - when the quote came he was an instant convert to plastic and both houses were done for £13k - both front windows up and down were bay's - wooden were around 50k mark per house.

Wood is not cheap -20 yrs ago 2 double and three single sash windows cost me just over £3k

Now in this house I have my first ever plastic windows you can stick sash where sun doesn't shine.

Dave

There's more and more period properties being ruined by fitting plastic frames in them,there is nothing wrong with timber as long as it's looked after correctly :good: :good:

Most of my customers consider they are looking after their properties for future generations,which is a nice way to look at things :yes::good:

It takes craftsmen to manufacture from timber and a muppet to work a plaswelder :P

Oh....And Dave...I'd love to stick a large sash where your sun don't shine....Would you like single or double glazed? :D:lol: :lol:

Azzurri

Azzurri

Sash windows are fine if made from the right wood and using some of todays technology - ie -draught proofing and cord or springs - the company that made mine used wood from front shop - Not red deal - still had barcodes on but they also made me a pair of french door's and two entrance doors with half side windows all in Mahogony and when we left after 23 yrs those Mahogany doors opened and closed like a RR car door - not a sign of rot or warp anywhere.

Unless the sash window could be guaranteed draught proof I will stick to plastic - anyway they have made my Jerry build 1972 bungalow look years younger. - also heating bill is cheaper because my ceilings are only standard height not 8ft 6" :yes: :yes:

Dave

Try giving Chris a ring at Carpentry and Joinery Services at near Fakenham here in Norfolk. The farm I work on use him for all our window replacements in the cottages and other carpentry work. He made four for mine two years ago to replace rotton ones to the original pattern only including sealed unit glazing and they are very well made, no shrinking and expanding like you get with a lot of wooden windows and doors these days.