First rifle dilemma, Opinions please.

craigrg

Firstly hello all,

I have been looking at this forum for a while and now would appreciate some advice :good:

I have recently obtained my FAC for 17hmr and 22lr and Im probably just getting a bit impatient to buy my first rifle.

At the moment Im planning on getting the 17hmr first, Ive been favouring the CZ 455 thumbhole so far but also have looked at the Browing T bolt.

The main use will be for rabbits and I can only afford one gun at the moment, I dont really want to travel far and I would like to use my local delear.

They dont however have these two guns in stock in 17hmr yet and Im getting itchy feet so have been thinking about the possibility of getting the

.22 first or getting something like the CZ 452 in .17hmr which is cheaper, in stock and im sure will be good enough for me to start off with at least.

Just wondering what peoples opinions are? Should I just be patient or go for a cheaper gun as it will still probably fit my needs easily

Thankyou for reading, any thoughts welcome

PS. I can stretch to £500 for the gun (already have a scope to use) but spending less would be a bonus

Zapp is right, the CZ452 will do everything. You could consider a second hand one for the .22lr, they can be picked up in old BRNO format for around £125 upwards, depending on how new you want it.

The more you spend the nicer it looks, and the better the triggers - though I think it costs less than £15 to get a trigger kit for the CZ452, which is easy to fit yourself.

If you really want a rifle now you can get one quickly, if you want to spend the extra on something that you'll perhaps like more then do so, both will be just as accurate and will do the same job.

Most people who say they would never change their CZ have never owned a quality rimfire, most who do will not go back to CZ.

Have a look around for a quality second hand rifle, what you have to spend will get you a quality piece of kit.

Mark

(a CZ .22 owner)

Thankyou, all good advice.

Another thing I was wondering is that i will hope to get whichever calibre I dont buy now later in the year anyway and I might have a bit more money by then to invest. If I can potentially spend more on one of the guns is there any benefit to either calibre, would it be best to spend more on the 17hmr and have a cheaper .22 or does it not really matter?

I don't think it matters, I wouldn't buy a used .17HMR (the barrel could be worn - though I doubt you'd be buying a s/h one anyway) but apart from that I don't think there are any accuracy issues to worry about, I don't know of any problem guns, I'd say they're all good, the differences in accuracy aren't likely to be noticable. .22lr's never seem to wear out.

If you've got the extra cash get something pretty, but that's all the extra money will go on you'll not notice anything accuracy wise, cz's are great rifles my old man went from a Cz .22lr to a sako quad in .22lr then went back again as for the extra money didn't get much more gun.

You'd be better getting a Cz-452 and spending the extra on a better scope and floating the barrel if it's not already done.

Atb Gary

I have the had the CZ Varmint in 22lr and .17hmr and can say for the money your not going to go far wrong, the only thing I struggled with was the weight of them especially if your on the move all the time. I now own an anschutz 1517 (.17hmr) and an anschutz 22lr which are much lighter, but you will pay well over twice the price for the anschutz compared to a CZ hmr. Know doubt it's been mentioned on here before that the ammo for a 22 is half the price of the .17. Also if using ballistic tipped .17 ammo it came make a mess of a Bunny!!!

Not sure if this helps and know doubt it's been said before :D

I had looked at the quad and liked the look of it but its currently out of my budget unless I go secondhand, and I would love an Anshutz and im sure I wont be able to help myself from spending that kind of money in the future. I think the 452 is good enough for me at the mo, ill go and have a look tomorrow.

Thanks for all of your thoughts

Craig

I changed my 22 last week and was looking at the anshutz 1417 but luckily my friend talked me out of it so I went with the cz 452 American 16.5 inch barrel just to save on abit of weight. I bought a trigger kit with it for £12 fitted straight away and what a great little gun. Glad I didn't spend the extra cash now.

I did look at the 455 thole but it's a big lump for a 22lr

Try a gun for size first. Handle different makes at a dealers and go with what feels 'right' for you. It doesn't matter what other people think of their guns, you'll be the one shooting yours so get the one that pushes all the right buttons when you pick it up.

Incidently, on all these 'which rimfire' threads everyone tends to blow their budget on a rifle and add any old scope that comes to hand. It should be the other way round. Even on rimfires the scope is more important than the rifle and a quality scope is never a waste of money.

If the scope you've got lined up is just an average bit of glass that will do to get you going - it will take you a while to extend your range and get the best out of an HMR, and you shouldn't rush that process- then maybe you could buy a second hand .22 when the time comes and give yourself more to spend on a good scope which could then go on the HMR.

There's no point spending a grand on an Anshutz if it means you can only stick a bog roll tube on top of it.

Thankyou to everyone who replied, all good things I took into consideration. I have now bought a CZ 452 american .17hmr, I just preferred the feel of the wooden stock and it doesnt look too bad either. Now to go and fire a few rounds and get it zeroed :D

Craig

Thankyou to everyone who replied, all good things I took into consideration. I have now bought a CZ 452 american .17hmr, I just preferred the feel of the wooden stock and it doesnt look too bad either. Now to go and fire a few rounds and get it zeroed :D

Craig

Well done Craig-you've bought a nice rifle in the CZ American.

ATB.

cheers, just put a few rounds through and have got a decent group at 50yds that im happy with for now

Seems to be a nice liitle gun, I look forward to introducing it to the bunnies around here!

Also wondering whether people have has to adjust the zero much after the first rounds? does it bed in?

Edited by craigrg

I don't think it matters, I wouldn't buy a used .17HMR (the barrel could be worn - though I doubt you'd be buying a s/h one anyway) but apart from that I don't think there are any accuracy issues to worry about, I don't know of any problem guns, I'd say they're all good, the differences in accuracy aren't likely to be noticable. .22lr's never seem to wear out.

I have never heard of a hmr burning out a barrel its only a rimfire *** :o

I have never heard of a hmr burning out a barrel its only a rimfire *** :o

It might 'only' be a rimfire but.....

Instead of a soft lead bullet mooching along just below the speed of sound (a .22LR subsonic), the HMR fires the same kind of copper jacketed lead core bullet used in high velocity centerfires and it's doing near 2.5 x speed of sound. Added to that people fire a lot of rounds through them, so a used and abused HMR might show some barrel wear :yes:

I have never heard of a hmr burning out a barrel its only a rimfire f f s :o

I haven't known of it, but I understand it's possible. Sending a jacketed bullet at 2500 fps will wear something out in time - larger rifles with slow bullets wear out, so yes a .17HMR is slower than most centre-fires and with a shorter bullet, but when you take into account the vast number some guns will fire it'll happen!

I haven't known of it, but I understand it's possible. Sending a jacketed bullet at 2500 fps will wear something out in time - larger rifles with slow bullets wear out, so yes a .17HMR is slower than most centre-fires and with a shorter bullet, but when you take into account the vast number some guns will fire it'll happen!

how much powder does a hmr burn?

have you ever seen an hmr with a burnt out barrel? simple question, yes or no?

Edited by plinker

how much powder does a hmr burn?

have you ever seen an hmr with a burnt out barrel? simple question, yes or no?

No, I haven't made it a mission in life to inspect as many .17HMR rifle barrel for wear as I can, even though I'm sure it would make a fascinating hobby. I'm sure they can wear out though, it might not be common but I'm sure it happens after they've gone through enough rounds.