A mongrel by any other name...

mick miller

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Give 'em daft names and plenty of hype and what was a £30 mongrel becomes a cash cow (although I dont think theyve made that cross just yet).

I get the daft questions with my Bi colour shepherd. I imagine that the owners of these 'special' breeds revel in the SFQs. Best questions Ive had so far are :

"Nice looking alsation mate..... whats it crossed with ?"

me "crossed with a german shepherd"

them - cue knowing glance, nod and "mmmmm ok"

and

"Thats a nice alsation, is it crossed with a rottie ?"

me "no, its a german shepherd"

them "what ? they can be black as well ?"

Yep. And those bufoons who insist a short haired GSD is an Alsatian

:yes: I keep them and just call them mongrels although they are deerhound cross greyhound :good:

Lurchers have been around for decades though and are bred for a specific job.

They wouldn't have stood the test of time if it wasn't a useful cross which gave something to the job they are intended for, making them better than the individual breeds crossed to get them.

A 'labradoodle' could, in theory, make a good working dog but so often the breeders main selling point is that they are good for allergy sufferers and won't shed hair. What I want to know is how do these breeders know that they will only inherit the good traits of both breeds? In reality they have no idea how the dog will turn out and have no basis whatsoever on which to make these claims. I have actually heard of dogs which, ok, don't shed but need to be shorn every few months because the coat gets totally matted. Their temperaments can also be suspect as, along with hybrid vigour, comes an unknown disposition. I've heard of one which definitely had the worst aspects from both sides!

There is no real benefit to breeding these 'mongrels' other than the inflated price tags they seem to come with, only benefitting the breeder. It's basically a fad, trendy and often seen as a fashion accessory. Its also completely un-necessary because, in my view, there are enough breeds in existence already for everyone to be able to find a suitable dog for their individual needs!

My rant over!

GH

Lurchers have been around for decades though and are bred for a specific job.

GH

True GH :good: , I'm breeding 2 litters out of greyhound bitches, 1 a bedlington/greyhound litter and the other is to a australian cattle dog cross. I'm giving the surplus pups to my friends for free :yes:

The wifes cousin bought a cockerpoo just before Christmas, She paid £650 for it and told us all she'd got a bargain as they can fetch £800. Its now started to have fits and will need medication for the rest of its life and as they hadn't sorted any insurance they have to pay for it as nobody will cover it.

If you were spending that sort of money on a Lab you'd insist on hip and eye checks at least. Not with these mongrels tho.

On another note when I decided to breed from my Springer bitch I knew I wouldn't be able to ask for a fortune for the pups as I dont have a pedigree for her, If I had put her with a Cocker I could have got twice the money for the Sprocker pups. The world has gone barking mad.

i heard of someone going to look at a jug pup the other week (jack russel x pug)

and the same people were trying to breed there minature poodle with a jack russel to make a jack a doodle or something which sounded like that .

it is madness these days when mongrels are fetching double the money of pedigree dogs i have 8 pedigree lab pups at the moment and labradoodles are fetching x2 what im asking for them

Mongrel seems to be reserved for unintentional cross-breeds these days

Any crossbreed intentional or not is a Gyier or Mongrel to give them their proper title and Clowns are paying money for crossbreeds that decent people would put down, generations of breeding of dog's no matter what type are ****** up by people making up stupid names that others are falling for, A fool and their money are easily parted.They are makink a dicky of proper dog's, which the Kennell club is also doing with true breeds.

True GH :good: , I'm breeding 2 litters out of greyhound bitches, 1 a bedlington/greyhound litter and the other is to a australian cattle dog cross. I'm giving the surplus pups to my friends for free :yes:

Good man and that's the way it should be and then you and your friends know exactly where they came from. :good:

Good man and that's the way it should be and then you and your friends know exactly where they came from. :good:

Cheers mate :good: , I'm also breeding my black terriers this year and me and a north west lad will get a pup each, the rest are getting gifted to good lads over your way :yes:

Look at the history of most breeds they are all cross breads and done that way for size,agility,ability etc the new injection of hybrid dogs was done for reasons at the start to maybe improve coats with a working dog or eliminate long running health issues and so on,but as we can see the dog breeders are putting a spin on breading novelty dogs to make money,you pays your money you takes your chance :good: