A mongrel by any other name...

mick miller

I'm sure this has been done before but...

Soooo, since having my new dog I've encountered many an odd mix on my travels. The thing that puzzles me is the owners insistence on conflating the two parent dogs (of pedigree more usually) into a new and unknown (to me) breed. I've learnt to bite my lip as the last conversation I had got a little strained and went something like this:

'How old is he?' they said,

'She's 9 months'

'Oh, isn't she pretty, she's quite small isn't she, what is breed is it?'

'It's a working cocker'

'Oh, she's small for a cocker isn't she, I thought they were bigger... This is a cockerdor'

'You mean it's a mongrel'

'NO! It's a cockerdor'

'Yes, there's no such thing as a cockerdor, what you've got there is called a mongrel' Followed by owner flouncing off into distance in a huff with said cockerdor towing them along.

Thus far I have met the following gun dog mixes; cockerdor, labradoodle, cockerdoodle, springerdor, but today takes the dog biscuit, today I met a.... wait for it... A BULLWEILER!! :w00t::yahoo::yay:

Anyone care to explain the conflation phenomenon because I'm at a loss. :eh:

Edited by mick miller

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be quite happy to explain this phenomenon to you.

But I can't, because I'm as much at a loss to understand it as you are! However, you have given me fresh ammunition in my ongoing **** take of my best mates new puppy. Its a cross yorkie/chihuahua, better known as a Chorkie apparently! :lol:

One person actually had the balls to suggest that their cockerdoodle(sic) was better than my cocker as 'it don't shed no hair'.

Obviously they missed the fact that it looked like a ball of black wool set atop some pipe cleaners.

Edited by mick miller

no 2 ways about it, they are mongrels, dress them up with whatever name you want but they are still going to be 'mongrels'

seen a few labrador rottweiler(sp) crosses for sale recently

rottador :hmm:

and not at what i would call a 'sensible' price!

Edited by TJ91

Best one i heard was when i was in the vets waiting room once and a lady was registering her newly purchased pup.The receptionist asked what breed it was and the lady replied "Labradoodle".

Receptionist said "oh,crossbreed then" and the lady said "no,she's a Labradoodle with papers and everything".She had to explain to her that they're not recognised by the KC so therefore classed as a crossbreed.I did have a crafty snigger.

Mongrel seems to be reserved for unintentional cross-breeds these days

I'm still going with the definition thank you;

mongrel |ˈmä ng grəl; ˈmə ng-|

noun

• a dog of no definable type or breed : [as adj. ] a mongrel bitch.

• any other animal resulting from the crossing of different breeds or types.

Best one i heard was when i was in the vets waiting room once and a lady was registering her newly purchased pup.The receptionist asked what breed it was and the lady replied "Labradoodle".

Receptionist said "oh,crossbreed then" and the lady said "no,she's a Labradoodle with papers and everything".She had to explain to her that they're not recognised by the KC so therefore classed as a crossbreed.I did have a crafty snigger.

Yup, that about sums it up. I wonder if these papers she had were of the kind that have a single gummed edge?

I've done some work for a crazy old woman who had a labradoodle she was insistant it was a legitimate, registered breed - her words not mine and I believe she had something to do with a labradoodle owners association too :lol: :lol: :lol:. The dog itself was a hateful looking creature and without a doubt was one of the nastiest most agressive dogs I've ever met - though that is likely the fault of the owner rather than a trait of the breed.

-Mongrel- you can call it what you like of course. A Ridgeback/Mastiff sounds like a proper handful though, so good luck with that one! If it were mine I'd fit it with a backpack and use it to carry the shopping.

He's a pussy cat and far less bother than the pedigree Choccie lab we also have!

DSC00628-1.jpg

Give 'em daft names and plenty of hype and what was a £30 mongrel becomes a cash cow (although I dont think theyve made that cross just yet).

I get the daft questions with my Bi colour shepherd. I imagine that the owners of these 'special' breeds revel in the SFQs. Best questions Ive had so far are :

"Nice looking alsation mate..... whats it crossed with ?"

me "crossed with a german shepherd"

them - cue knowing glance, nod and "mmmmm ok"

and

"Thats a nice alsation, is it crossed with a rottie ?"

me "no, its a german shepherd"

them "what ? they can be black as well ?"