No young Pigeons ??????

hunterswind9465

We process all the pigeons ourself and supply the same restraunts that we sell the Lobsters to. Just now we are getting £2.25 per Pigeon oven ready. The ones we dont sell just now are frozen ready for delivering later.

Try Highland game at Dundee or Rick Bestwick in Perth. If frozen I can take them to my Dealer in Aberdeenshire when we move north to shoot the Geese.

Any news about Lee Robb :lol:?:lol:?:(??

Cranners

We have been shooting good numbers on Swathed Rape and Rape stubbles, in our area the farmers are now disking the fields within 5 days of combining we still get a few on the disked Rape.

We still have over 200 acres of Winter Rape to be cut the 3 farms used a new kind of Rape seed and it is 3 weeks later than the normal stuff.

Today there are 2 guys on Barley stubbles who are doing well at 4pm both had 20+ birds and 2 guys on wheat Stubble both with 15+. Up here with the hot weather the bulk of the shooting comes after 5pm.

The last two trips I've had produced a total of 165 pigeons shot over a pea stubble. I would say that the ratio of young birds to old has been 1 in 5.

I have shot young birds from may 31st in most bags.

The young birds we are getting at the moment i should think are the result of a second clutch.

As cranfield had mentioned we are seeing plenty of displaying birds about so it looks like a third clutch could be in the making,lets hope so.

We've been shooting three figures of pigeons every day for the last six days around Glenrothes and Cupar and I have been taking a note of the numbers of young. I estimate around 15% of the birds have been young ones. There is a bird nesting in the holly bush in front of my dads house and it is on its second brood, last year it had three, the last chick came off the nest on the first week in October. No chicks will die from lack of water as they are fed pigeon milk from the adult birds so as long as they get to water there is no problem.

• 2 weeks later...

shot 22 pigeon saturday of which 18 were young birds. A friend shot a field half a mile away and he counted 18 young birds out of 27. The young birds have put in an appearence big time over the past fortnight in lancashire. 1 week ago on a different field I shot 40 of which over 50% were this years birds. Surely this looks good for the winter months.

The young birds have put in an appearence big time over the past fortnight in lancashire. 1 week ago on a different field I shot 40 of which over 50% were this years birds. Surely this looks good for the winter months.

Numbers of young have shot up here in a big way now as well which is superb news.

Now all we seem to be lacking is some serious rain to make all the seed thats laying about start to chit.

• 4 weeks later...

The young birds have made a massive appearance around here now.

3 guns shot for 4 hours in between a Goose flight in the morning and Duck at night. They got 82 Pigeons and you could count on one hand the number of adult birds.

At one stage all 3 guns were out of the hides and the pickup was at the side of the decoy pattern and the birds were still trying to land in the decoys. There was a nice wind blowing!

M same happening round here to. We were shooting crows over a magnet on Saturday morning and shot 27 pigeons aswell as crows they were trying to land in the middle of my magnet wouldn't have minded but three weeks ago they were not intrested in my magnet on a freshly cut corn field with a load of pigeon deeks, but put crow deeks out instead and they loved um. about 18 were young!