A tad annoyed

fenboy

For several years I have had a small permission that i have shot alone or with people i have invited , there is another old guy who has shot a couple of the farms that surround my bit of ground , he has on occasion had a day with me a like wise i have had the odd day with him , other than that we have respected each others land.

He stopped me tonight when I was walking the dog to anounce he is shooting the peas on my permission tomorrow as he has asked the farmer and there are several birds showing.

I have noticed numbers building for the last few days and had planned to shoot this field on Thursday with Fenny from the forum , to say I am a little annoyed is a understatment , though I managed to bite my tongue.

If that is not bad enough he is also taking someone else on with him too ,the guy is retired and can shoot as and when he wants, so the chances of me getting a decent day are now about zero ,I dont blame the farmer as he only wants rid of the birds but I do feel annoyed he has felt the need to grab my permission also.

Am I being too sensitive ??

Edited by fenboy

I would feel the same as you. I'd have a talk with the farmer and explain how you feel as you have always tried to do your best for him and allowing others on to the land implies you aren't doing what he needs - perhaps he could let you know if theres a problem?

I would also say to the other guy that its a bit difficult and he only has to think about what he might feel if you asked for a shoot on his permission. Sadly people are dissapointing and this is yet another example. Try for another permission as well and learn the lesson.

No, i would be hacked off as well.............BUT, every cloud an all that. Ok, look at it this way. He is retired right? So, he isnt far from pushing up the daisies. That just means in a few years he will have got off and you can pick up his land as well.

Up there for thinking.......... :good:

I'd have gone ******* ballistic!!!!!!!!!!

He will know as well as anyone else how hard permission is to get and he should stick to his own!

I'd have told him this and would make sure i was there on the day he was going (no matter what) and ruined it!

What a complete ********

That's actually ****** me off!!!

Edited by Zapp

I would love to but unfortunately I have to work tomorrow , I just hope it rains all day :yes:

Get Matt to go up for you. I would if I were closer.

No, i would be hacked off as well.............BUT, every cloud an all that. Ok, look at it this way. He is retired right? So, he isnt far from pushing up the daisies. That just means in a few years he will have got off and you can pick up his land as well.

Up there for thinking.......... :good:

I am retired, should I start lining up my permissions to pass on?

There is a lot of life in us old un's (well I hope so) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Go to his permissions and speak to the farmers, tell him which farms you look after as a reference and also tell him you have shot on his farm with said shooter. Tell him you share your permissions and would the farmer mind if you could shoot unaccompanied.

I would love to but unfortunately I have to work tomorrow , I just hope it rains all day :yes:

Its lashing it down here.

Two can play his game.

Bide your time, have a word with him if the chance arises. Keep an eye on his permission; at an oportune moment seek permission from his land owner, you never know what the outcome may be!

Once he's shot over your permission he will do so again.

I'm a great believer in deplomacy, but I also believe in fighting fire with fire.

webber

I don't agree with the way the guy has gone about it but at the end of the day there are enough pests to go around .

The farmer has no loyalties to anyone but his crop comes first . Speak to the old boy politely and tell him how you feel , don't go falling out with him as he may just start hacking you off or telling tales . It may turn to your advantage .

I share one of my permissions with another bloke . The way he acts and keeps ringing me to ask if I've been or am there because he has a friend who lives in earshot of the place just annoys me you would think he owns the place . But to be honest if I want to shoot the land and he is also there we just shoot at different ends of the farm as it can also keep the birds moving . Don't dispare just yet , try and work it out

I don't agree with the way the guy has gone about it but at the end of the day there are enough pests to go around .

The farmer has no loyalties to anyone but his crop comes first . Speak to the old boy politely and tell him how you feel , don't go falling out with him as he may just start hacking you off or telling tales . It may turn to your advantage .

I share one of my permissions with another bloke . The way he acts and keeps ringing me to ask if I've been or am there because he has a friend who lives in earshot of the place just annoys me you would think he owns the place . But to be honest if I want to shoot the land and he is also there we just shoot at different ends of the farm as it can also keep the birds moving . Don't dispare just yet , try and work it out

A nice sensible reply.

Look at it from the Farmer's point of view.

He just wants someone on the fields to keep the birds off, this chap is available potentially 7 days a week and you only shoot weekends, when you are not working.

Whilst none of this is your fault, I don't think its the retired chaps fault either.

Have a chat with him, see if he can get you reciprocal unaccompanied access where he shoots and work it out between you.

A lot of us have to juggle with other shooters and its irritating (one of the reasons I rarely shoot weekends), but its doable.

I don't think the suggestions that you start World War Three with the bloke will do you any favours in the long term.

Its happened to me on a few occasions in the past, recced a field, planned for the day & someone beats me to it, on the other hand had shooters come up & say I was going to shoot this field today, it works both ways. Few year ago passed a pea field everyday to & from work, allways a few pigeon on it never saw anyone shooting, called at the farm was given permission straight away, a tour of the land, map of the farm, full vermin rights etc, asked does anyone else shoot on here he said no. Shot the field which was'nt as good as expected, had a week walking the land cleaning up a few rabbits, came across a release pen, feeders all in good condition. Week later met the wannabe keeper (or the bloke who ran the shoot) not a nice guy, got a little heated, then the farmer turned round & said I only gave you permission on the peas. Just walked away & left them to it. I would not intentionally make a move on anyones permission but thers plenty out there who will

A nice sensible reply.

Look at it from the Farmer's point of view.

He just wants someone on the fields to keep the birds off, this chap is available potentially 7 days a week and you only shoot weekends, when you are not working.

Whilst none of this is your fault, I don't think its the retired chaps fault either.

Have a chat with him, see if he can get you reciprocal unaccompanied access where he shoots and work it out between you.

A lot of us have to juggle with other shooters and its irritating (one of the reasons I rarely shoot weekends), but its doable.

I don't think the suggestions that you start World War Three with the bloke will do you any favours in the long term.

Firstly I said in my original post , i dont blame the farmer.

I am available to shoot 4 days a week , I never said I only shoot weekends , Finaly I would have been much less hacked off if it was a total stranger that had asked for permission rather than someone who knows I shoot it and has had days on there with me !!

As he has had the odd day with you and vice versa it could be a misunderstanding. Maybe he bumped into the farmer who said fenboy can't shoot it, can you...in the belief...reasonably enough, that you have that arrangement. There is often another story to that which seems obvious.

I know its galling when your watching the numbers build up and someone else gets there before you can, but unfortunately thats the way it is.

I wouldn't go onto a friends permission without the friend or his authority to do so. But thats me. If your close enough mates then he should have explained that he had been asked and he would like to have a go if you can't. Its etiquette and manners. However, if he isn't a friend, then I guess for some its a selfish move.

In any event, if it were me I would just keep your cool, mention that you were suprised he didn't mention it, but politely quip that you really pleased as you presume its a reciprocal arrangement and it will have given you access more shooting with his land :smartass:

Edited by turbo33

Go to his permissions and speak to the farmers, tell him which farms you look after as a reference and also tell him you have shot on his farm with said shooter. Tell him you share your permissions and would the farmer mind if you could shoot unaccompanied.

that sounds like a good plan at least he has told you what he is up to try to work together at least you know him

what he said ^^^ :thumbs:

Unfortunately it does happen. I invited a "friend" new to the game to shoot a permission a few years ago. Had a decent day and he thanked me by turning up at the farm behind my back and offered the manager a back hander to shoot! Luckily the manager showed me some loyalty and naffed him off.

At the end of the day the pigeons don't belong to us and the train set belongs to the farmers.

If they want someone else to shoot, they will get them in and there isn't a thing we can do.

I admire the lads on here who regularly invite PW members for days out - They are very trusting guys. Having been stung before, I am reluctant to be that generous again :hmm:

You just hope that what goes around comes around and these weasels get a taste of their own medicine.