What is this?

WelshLamb

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was living under my friends chicken shed, well, until today when her dog got at it :lol:

What is it? To me it looks very much like a ferret! :unsure:

Looks like a ferret/polecat to me ! mink are much darker normally brown or black and 2 to 3 times the size of a ferret :good:

Mink come in all colours ,I clubbed one a very similar colour to this when it invaded my bivvy when I was fishing one night ! its nose is far to blunt for a polecat/ ferret. your friend is very lucky to have any chickens left !

Edited by fenboy

Mink Fact Sheet

IDENTIFYING MINK & THEIR PRESENCE

Mink (Mustela vison) have dark brown fur and a long tail that becomes progressively darker towards the tip. They also may have white patches on their chest and throat. They weigh 1 ½ - 3 ½ pounds and have elongated slender bodies with short, stocky legs. Females are slightly smaller than males. Males grow to be about two feet long (22 - 28 inches). Evidence that mink may be present in an area include dark brown or black droppings that are 5-6 inches long, roughly cylindrical, with occasional segmentation and bits of fur or bone that are deposited on beaver lodges, rocks, logs and near dens. Burrow holes in streams and riverbanks that have a four-inch diameter opening also are an indication that mink are present. Mink tracks are nearly round with a width of 1 ¼ - 1 ¾ inches for the front feet and 2 ¼ inches long for the hind feet. The stride length of their tracks is 12-26 inches apart and both hind and forefeet prints almost touch. Skulls from mink have 34 teeth. Mink can emit a strong musky odor with their scent glands, like skunks, but the distance the odor can be detected is more limited.