Why do people blow down the barrels of an O/U.

Bloggs

Afternoon all,

I've often wondered why peeps blow down the barrels of their O/U's at clay grounds :blush:

It's a genuine question as I can't fathom out the answer for myself. :no:

If it was to check for blockages surely a visual examination is better and if it's for cooling (which I very much dought) then an airline and compressor would be better but obviously not very practical to carry around a clay ground :lol:

Please, someone put me out of my misery and tell me :good:

Cheers.

I do it occasionally, mainly if I've shot my last 2 clays and am about to put my gun in a rack whilst I button/score for someone else. I some times find there is smoke in the barrel and it's a force of habbit that I like to see daylight through the barrels before I close it and rack it. I know there won't be anything in it as I've just taken the spent carts out but like I say....force of habbit. Can't speak for anybody else but that's why I sometime do it.

I only really do it when using my hushpower .410. Mainly because if I miss, which is often, I won't even be able to tell if the shot/wad has cleared the barrel due to the lack of noise and recoil...

However it takes some blowing (ooh er missus) because the moderator holds on to plenty of smoke.

it`s just a habit people pick up. usually a ritual thing for no reason with most

That's it with me...I've just realised.

Dunno why, I don't want to slip the gun with barrels full of smoke. No practical reason or knowledge of why I shouldn't, just don't want to.

Was watching a White gold cup final video (possibly on here) and one of the shooters put a cleaning rod with a mop on it down after every shot :unsure: all just down to personal pre/post shot routine :)

I believe that was Paul Chaplow suffering with broken ejectors at the time :oops: