Compulsory micro-chipping for dogs

bedwards1966

It's nothing in the grand scheme of things. £15-25 once in the dogs life? If you can't afford that you shouldn't have a dog.

Responsible dog owners have their pets chipped anyway. (compulsory now if docked)

How about 'Bring back dog Licensing' :unsure:

It's nothing in the grand scheme of things. £15-25 once in the dogs life? If you can't afford that you shouldn't have a dog.

Responsible dog owners have their pets chipped anyway. (compulsory now if docked)

What makes me irresponsible then for not sticking a chip in my dog?

(And £15-25 is more than I've ever spent on my dog in it's entire life on anything other than food).

What's going to happen to all the dogs that end up abandoned as unwanted gifts? Will the owner have to cut out the chips to avoid them being caught for dumping the dog? That's kind.

RSPCA will do it for you free :) does your dog have a collar with an id tag?

I didn't know that.

No, my dog doesn't have a collar with a tag, it might not be a bad idea, but the chances of me losing my dog are small.

What I really resent is being forced to do this, I've nothing really against micro-chipping but it should be optional.

Well if your dig does get lost or stolen you have no way of having him returned....... Chipping should be mandatory why should it not?

Most dog charities will do it for free or a "donation"

No, I don't see why it should be compulsory, if I want to not get a dog chipped that should be up to me. When dogs go missing they end up getting picked up by a dog warden and you go collect them, if a dog goes missing you'd be in touch with them so what difference does it make if they have your details, you'll be going there to get it one way or the other.

It's a waste of costs, forcing a system to become compulsory.

No, I don't see why it should be compulsory, if I want to not get a dog chipped that should be up to me. When dogs go missing they end up getting picked up by a dog warden and you go collect them, if a dog goes missing you'd be in touch with them so what difference does it make if they have your details, you'll be going there to get it one way or the other.

It's a waste of costs, forcing a system to become compulsory.

And what if you don't go to pick it up? Should you not be accountable? As a responsible owner it makes no difference to you, ergo to be against it you must be an irresponsible owner?

Ok I think that it's another like hand gun issue where responsable dog owners who care & look after their animals will do this but what's to say that the dangerous dogs who are not bad it's just their owners way of bringing them up who will breed at home & are they going to spend the money on chipping (NO) in fact probably make more money unchipped also whe I go beating on the moors I take the collar off as I believe that a collar restricts in the heather also possibility of snagging what are every else's thaughts on this ?

also whe I go beating on the moors I take the collar off as I believe that a collar restricts in the heather also possibility of snagging what are every else's thaughts on this ?

With working dogs it is sensible to remove the collar to stop them getting caught up in brush etc which is why micro chipping is ideal as is tattooing. With spates of thefts of working dogs and others why would not take every precaution to protect your companion?

The risk is making it law, when a dog turns up a vets with no chip what then a fine for the owner? confiscation of the dog? The sort who dump dogs, dont get them treated etc wont worry about the chipping. Also dogs used for fighting and other illegal activities wont be chipped or will be fake chipped.

Once a dog is chipped there is a database which links the owner to the number of the chip? SO if all puppies are chipped there must be a way to update the database? Like with cars and V5 documents? Whats to stop the ghosting of data and registering dogs to none existent owners?

Once a dog is chipped there is a database which links the owner to the number of the chip? SO if all puppies are chipped there must be a way to update the database? Like with cars and V5 documents? Whats to stop the ghosting of data and registering dogs to none existent owners?

Bang on the money. There is already a way to bypass the system for unscrupulous dog owners so this is just another way of hitting Joe Public in the pocket.

I dont see why anyone would not want to chip them? cost is small, benefit is high.

its only really going to be obstructive to halfwits with aggresive dogs.

although to give it some teeth ( no pun intended) they should couple the law with a right to seize the dog if not chipped. and then spend the time targeting 'problem' areas and removing dogs from idiots - who lets face it = this law is here to target anyway.

the current system of messing around trying to establish if the dog is a dangerous breed is ineffective at taking problem dogs from problem people.

Edited by pegasus bridge

i don't worry about chiping it's the word COMPULSERY i don't like :angry: :angry: i wonder who in the government has links or has been lobbyed by the company who makes the chips :hmm: its not much to have it done now but i think the cost will increases when the law is past :yes: and then you have to pay to regester the dog. :oops:YES as posted before only the genuine folk will get it done and the rest wont or they will turn to the black market. mind you i can't say who are the biggest bandits

Edited by scutt

I can't understand why you'd not want to, both our dog an cat are chipped - cats lose collars easily, working dogs don't wear them, I'd rather they could both be traced.

nickbeardo, I echo your sentiments - when i bought my dog he was given a healthcheck by an independant vet given his 2nd round of vaccinations and microchiped with me present before i took him off the breeder!

Anyone who refuses to microchip on the ground of the minimal cost of this procedure shouldn't have a dog!

If by any reasion my dog gets lost, I want him back, and i think its wrong that the various police stations, dog wardens, dog homes that might resceive a stray pet should have to waste time with a dog that has not been chipped, when a simple scan of the dogs neck of a chipped dog will give you the owners contact details in under 20 seconds !

my opinion and mine only.......every cat and dog to be chipped alongside license for both and compulsory insurance at least 3rd party in case your cat or dog causes an accident or damage

as i said my opinion but i would welcome i.d. cards and national dna testing too

if you do nothing wrong you have nothing to hide

My German shepherd puppy is being micro-chipped this very evening along with it's second injection. My other 4 year old German Shepherd bitch is micro-chipped and so are my two cats.

I can't think of a single reason not to do this - it's just common sense to have the simple procedure done. It's a simple win-win situation :good: