Compulsory micro-chipping for dogs

bedwards1966

All 6 of my dogs are chipped, i would like them back if they ever got lost. The Government need to takle the problem of anti-social dogs/Owners. As has been said previously, this is what they are trying to acheive, to track down these types. For the small cost, and 10 minutes of your time, to get back a cherised, (Expensive)) dog, is well worth it in my eyes.

I think this is the problem Logo, the Government once again are jumping in without actually thinking about the whole process. Tbh, i wouldnt trust the RSPCA with teddy, let alone a living creature, there useless (My opinion) and the Government ministers dont have a clue either. I have read the they wish to make it compulsary for every Puppy to be chipped, but again, how many years would it take for the current dogs that areb un-chipped to pass??

many of the complaints are that the majority of dog owners, who consider themselves responsible are having to comply with proposed laws being implemented because of a few mindless idiots. We as shooters and country sports folk have been suffering ever more restictions and regulation on our sport because of one or two mindless idiots who go nuts with a gun.

Has the handgun ban stopped people being shot with pistols, nope. Will chipping dogs stop dog attacks, nope. All chipping does is add a level of animal traceability.

One thing it has done though is show a section of society called "dog owners" what it feels like to have regulations and laws imposed on you because of a very small minority of anal wipes. Welcome to the regulatory and red tape pleasures of gun ownership.

it is a difficult situation, its the fine balancing act of the law to prevent a few halfwits causing most of the troublewithout limiting the law abiding majority.

i can think of various, much cheaper, faster methods of dealing with this, none of which would see the light of day outside of a dicatatorship.

so on balance, to formalise what most responsible dog owners do anyway, with the aim of provding a simple boundary to enable the authorities to tackle these halfwits is not such a bad thing.

I dont see why anyone would not want to chip them? cost is small, benefit is high.

its only really going to be obstructive to halfwits with aggresive dogs.

although to give it some teeth ( no pun intended) they should couple the law with a right to seize the dog if not chipped. and then spend the time targeting 'problem' areas and removing dogs from idiots - who lets face it = this law is here to target anyway.

the current system of messing around trying to establish if the dog is a dangerous breed is ineffective at taking problem dogs from problem people.

its only really going to be obstructive to halfwits with aggresive dogs.

not sure how you work this out....... do you really think that people who have dogs for fighting (if thats we're talking about) will be bothered about chipping, ditto the steretypes who want aggressive (looking) dogs....... seems like another ill conceived, knee jerk reaction to me.

nickbeardo, I echo your sentiments - when i bought my dog he was given a healthcheck by an independant vet given his 2nd round of vaccinations and microchiped with me present before i took him off the breeder!

Anyone who refuses to microchip on the ground of the minimal cost of this procedure shouldn't have a dog!

If by any reasion my dog gets lost, I want him back, and i think its wrong that the various police stations, dog wardens, dog homes that might resceive a stray pet should have to waste time with a dog that has not been chipped, when a simple scan of the dogs neck of a chipped dog will give you the owners contact details in under 20 seconds !

have you not heard that most of them dont have chip readers and if they do they dont always work ...........

My Akitas were chipped for my benefit. However, I believe compulsory micro-chipping would be a waste of time.

The scrotes, who it is aimed at, won't bother.

That about sums it up, it is the same as SGC's, FAC's, insuring & taxing your vehicle etc etc etc. Law abiding, responsible people pay up - those that the legislation was supposedly design to tackle ignore it and a very small minority may get prosecuted.

All my dogs are chipped, but none of them ever wear collars... perhaps I'll be sent to jail!!!

That about sums it up, it is the same as SGC's, FAC's, insuring & taxing your vehicle etc etc etc. Law abiding, responsible people pay up - those that the legislation was supposedly design to tackle ignore it and a very small minority may get prosecuted.

All my dogs are chipped, but none of them ever wear collars... perhaps I'll be sent to jail!!!

Very true

The Government have made a mistake in intermingling the subject of stray and dangerous dogs.

Microchipping aims to reunite dogs and owners quickly. Of the dogs who are chipped there is almost a 40% failure rate: either the details are out of date, there are no details registered or the chip cannot be found. Compulsory microchipping does not address the issue of dangerous dogs and irresponsible ownership.

Enforcement will no doubt lie with the NDWA who have neither the funds nor resources to do this. Other devices they provide will undoubtedly suffer.

The law currently requires all dogs to wear a collar and ID tag in a public place. Exceptions are made for dogs when working. My own have collars and tags and are also chipped. In my opinion it is the responsible thing to do - when they are working they do not wear collars and therefore a microchip is a 'belt and braces' approach should anything happen. I also have the vet check the chip periodically to ensure it can still be found.

I for one am extremely disappointed in the governments approach. They have been building us up to an announcement for weeks and have yet again failed to come up with a plan to desk with dangerous dogs and irresponsible ownership!

I believe the latest legislation doesnt do any good what so ever with the exception of being able to be prosecuted if your dog attacks someone in your home, why this wasnt extended to outside the home i have no idea

people will ignore the micro chipping requirements, just as some responsible owners on here choose to ignore the id tags in public except when working legislation

The Government have made a mistake in intermingling the subject of stray and dangerous dogs.

Microchipping aims to reunite dogs and owners quickly. Of the dogs who are chipped there is almost a 40% failure rate: either the details are out of date, there are no details registered or the chip cannot be found. Compulsory microchipping does not address the issue of dangerous dogs and irresponsible ownership.

Enforcement will no doubt lie with the NDWA who have neither the funds nor resources to do this. Other devices they provide will undoubtedly suffer.

The law currently requires all dogs to wear a collar and ID tag in a public place. Exceptions are made for dogs when working. My own have collars and tags and are also chipped. In my opinion it is the responsible thing to do - when they are working they do not wear collars and therefore a microchip is a 'belt and braces' approach should anything happen. I also have the vet check the chip periodically to ensure it can still be found.

I for one am extremely disappointed in the governments approach. They have been building us up to an announcement for weeks and have yet again failed to come up with a plan to desk with dangerous dogs and irresponsible ownership!

Every time a dog visits the vet it should be swiped to make sure its your dog and that the chip is still working.

The bill is only half hearted and will not make any difference to dangerous dogs,but will help the welfare of thousands of others

Lord Redesdales dog control bill-stalled in the house of commons-proposals are more likely to have the effect needed.

Just a little note my Sprocker was micro chipped when she had her vaccines funnily (or not) she did go missing & honestly her tag had fallen off that day she went missing 5m from our front gate & was picked up by a off duty police dog handler put in van & was left across the road 3 houses away at a couples house , i was up all night roaming the streets very understanding village as I was calling & acme whistle most of the night the couple took her to the vets & read her chip was wrote down wrong so could,nt contact me as soon as i reported to dog warden I found her I took her down to my vets & it took ages just to find the chip as it had moved so a glancing check would of missed the chip if I wasn't so insistent she had 1 so best laid plans go amiss

Although my pair are chipped its a waste of time making it compulsory because those who dont want to wont bother getting theirs done.Who excally is gonna check everyones dogs for a microchip? The police,local council,dog warden perhaps-all of which are already understaffed so the chances of them visiting dog owners is nill.

Like dog licensing-its only the law abiding people who complied and everyone else did as they pleased.

Edited by Imperfection