any good books out there?

kingnewport

Have you read any of the Sharpe series by Bernard Cornwell. They start in India and then move through the napolionic war. I think they are brilliant. A lot in the series which will keep you going. I think the first one is called Sharpe's Tiger. It is not the time period you are asking about but definitely worth a read!

Tom

Not Vietnam or Afgan but Legionnaire by Simon Murray is an epic read and pretty brutal.A diary of the first Englishman to join the Legion.

Dear Mom,A Snipers Vietnam,Joseph T Ward.

Sniper One,Sgt Dan Mills.

From Hell To Eternity by Peter Firkins aboot the death marches made by Aussie and Brit pows under the japs.

Nam by Mark Baker.

Reading Band Of Brothers just now and is an excellent piece too.

If you like comedy would highly reccomend Bravo Two Zero.Chris Ryans The One That Got Away,Michael Ashers The Real Bravo Two Zero and Mike Coburns Soldier Five are all a better read about the mission.

Edited by sako751sg

If you want a good Vietnam book look no further than Dispatches by Michael Herr. See if you notice any similarities from any Vietnam war films.

I second the Herr book, The Sorrow of War by Bao Ninh is good to read beside it - Vietnam from the perspective of a Vietnamese for once. The Hidden War by Artyom Borovik is good on Afghanistan.

Im looking for a good book to get into, im thinking either vietnam or our afgan war . Any ideas people?

Chickenhawk, by Robert Mason - it's the "memoirs" of an American Huey pilot who survived the Vietnam war. Just reading it again having got my own copy from Amazon for a couple of quid, cracking book IMO

Chickenhawk, by Robert Mason - it's the "memoirs" of an American Huey pilot who survived the Vietnam war. Just reading it again having got my own copy from Amazon for a couple of quid, cracking book IMO

I was going to recommend Chickenhawk too. An excellent book :yes:

Vietnam

Chickenhawk

Blood On The Risers

Matterhorn

Stealth Patrol

Days Of Valour

Afghan

Outlaw Platoon

Bomb Hunters

An Ordinary Soldier

Fire Strike 7/9

War

Bullet Magnet

Callsign Hades

Iraq

Sniper One

House To House

Black Hearts

Joker Platoon

Eight Lives Down

killing zone by harry mccallion

I bought this book some years ago and read it twice within a few days. Rough childhood, paras, South African army, SAS, RUC police force, then studied law!! The guy fits a lot into one life time. True story as my brother-in-law remembers serving with him in 2 para :good:

Edited by pg123