Samphire

ayano3

Just wondered if any of you fellow wildfowler's collect and eat Samphire from the marsh. I guess I am quite fortunate to live close to the marsh and during the summer months get down there quite often so get to pick Samphire, my son loves the stuff and would go to my neighbors to share theirs whilst ours was cooking. Then start on ours ! I do get a bit for other people, many are pensioners who can't get there now. So, the question is how many of you collect and eat it and how do you cook yours ?

If you have never tried it you should give it a go.

I love it fresh picked and raw you just get a real salty crunch. Can't ever remember seeing any on the Severn Estuary. Our local Morrisons does it on the Deli Counter now and to my Wife's annoyance I can't resist a quick sample as I wheel the trolley past!

We pick it off our marsh. Often have it pickled with cottage pie on shoot day meals.... lovely :good: although it can be funny watching guests who are not used to it, politely trying to chew through the stems and all, whilst those in the know strip off the green with their teeth, & throw the woody bits away.

I have never eaten it but there was a programme on telly the other week and a chap picked it boiled it for a few minutes pulled it off the stem (I think)then eat it there and then, there was a woman presenter with him I remember but cant think what programme. :hmm:

I think the program was about Norfolk BBC 2 called Our Food on Wednesday nights we were on one episode with the mussel dredger in N Wales.

Thats the one mate I saw that one as well with the mussel dredger :good:

were you on it ?

Yes my claim to fame! i am the skipper of the mussel dredger that was on the program Mare Gratia B932 One of my crew came back with tears in his eyes after the presenter got stuck in the mud on the mussel beds. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01g7lh6