Homebrewing

Zapp

Finished my mash tun last night by putting legs on the false bottom to create a void between the base of the tun and the false bottom. I used stainless nuts & bolts for the legs and then domed nuts as feet to prevent any scratching on the base of the tun.

Doing all 40 legs was a right chore!!

DSCN0609.jpg

DSCN0611.jpg

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By the way, I've been told to have a clear out by the boss - I've approx 30 off 500ml beer bottles all clean with no labels (or glue remnants) 50/50 brown & clear glass. Free to the first person who wants to collect them, Skipton.

Guest cookoff013

tconditioning a EDME super stout, 1kg spraymalt and 150 grams treacle. conditioning at the moment.

smells fantastic and the brew has a nice body. very thick.

update on my edme stout +1kg spraymalt.

very thick very malty brew. not quite a session beer, more of a 4 course dine. head retention brilliant.

next time i`m going to use a single tin, 1kg sugar and 500k spraymalt in a 40 pint kit.

Guest cookoff013

If your brews are coming through too malty, it might be an idea to lose the spraymalt and go for just sugar. Table sugar ferments differently and will make the beer drier.

had about 5 pints, can honestly say its a lovely pint. it was more of a "what would happen if". now i know.

i normally use glucose, but do short draw the brew to lower than 22litres.

so for my next brew, 500g spraymalt and a kg of sugar. in a 40pint kit. if i was after a winter beer then thats what i`ll do next. most single tin kits say use less than the recomended volume normally 30 pints. its a slight con, but worth knowing. i used dark spraymalt aswell.

i`d just like to say, brewing something that you personally like to drink is better than brewing something that you dont like the taste of.

now i really know what i want, really spoiled for choice !

• 3 weeks later...

Yes,

Make sure everything that's going in the brewing vessel (demi jon?) is sterile.

Make sure you use a decent yeast.

You can even bang in a bit more sugar to crank up the abv.

I've been doing all grain home brewed ale for a couple of years now and turbo cider is how i started, you're on a slippery slope as it's bloody great fun!!!!

I go here http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/ there is an absolute gold mine of info here, just search turbo cider!!!

This is a brew I did a while ago in a fair amount of detail http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=13457&hilit=gail+porter

• 2 months later...

Munton`s Gold Pilsner, for some reason this one didn`t prime well although the rest did and had better heads. All gone now so I better get out the Woodeforde`s Wherry :beer:

Looks like a lovely brew henry d. Norfolk pubs are full of the stuff, a very nice pint indeed. The Woodefordes brewery is behind their pub at Woodbastwick. I've had a tour round it and a sampling session afterwards. They make some cracking beer.

http://thefurandfeatherinn.co.uk/

Edited by Whitebridges

sorry if i,ve posted in the wrong place so mods feel free to post in the right place , does anyone run a cornielius keg setup for their brews , i,ve got five corni kegs and i,m having trouble with 1 of them leaking slightly on the poppit valve,

i have renewed the seals on it but it still wants foam slightly for some reason when you disconnect the beer out pipe on it , if you flick the poppit vavle for a couple of minutes after disconecting it eventually stops foaming but its starting to become a real pain , would anyone know the reason why

apart from this 1 keg leaking slightly i can highly recomend a corni keg setup to anyone , vastly superiour to a plastic keg (i think if my memory serves me right corni kegs run at a pressure of 100 /120 psi ) so produces a beautifull pint

depending on your recipe they produce a pint on a par to what you buy in the pub i do all grain now and then but there again a good beer kit ,muntons ,edme woodfords etc ,really does inprove in the corni kegs and is miles ahead of bottling but that my own personal view others might tend disagree , i,m currently running, yorkshire bitter , irish stout , porter , oktoberfest lagar , english style pale ale ( all my own all grain recipes ) and they are all spot on and the corni kegs are the reason why

andy

Guest cookoff013

so, ladies and gentlemen,

i`ve been brewing muntons coinoseur stout with 250grams of sugar and 1kg of extradark spraymalt. its bottled and maturing.

then i`ve started a new brew, 2x 1.5kg youngs harvest stout and 250 grams glucose in 22.5L should be interesting. the fermentation has started well and 3 days in, still going ! i`ll bottle these in 300ml lots and 2L bottles for work.

I have just priced up the ingredients for 'Ale to the Chief', the White House honey ale (http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2012/09/01/ale-chief-white-house-beer-recipe). They came to £36 which given the measures they use is approx. £1/pint.

I think I will give it a go for novelty value, anyone else going to have a go?

There is also a honey porter recipe but the large number of different grains used would make cost an issue.

• 2 weeks later...

I have just priced up the ingredients for 'Ale to the Chief', the White House honey ale (http://www.whitehous...use-beer-recipe). They came to £36 which given the measures they use is approx. £1/pint.

I think I will give it a go for novelty value, anyone else going to have a go?

There is also a honey porter recipe but the large number of different grains used would make cost an issue.

All ordered, the ingredients came to £44 with postage! This better be good beer!

Yowser. You could do that for about 25p per pint using all grain.

Windsor yeast is a nightmare to get to clear by the way, you will probably need to fine it in the fermenter if you want to bottle, or in the keg if you are using one of those.

I'd love to do it AG but I don't make enough to justify the cost of the equipment. Maybe at a point in the future.

I will do a write up of the brew with a few pictures when everything arrives and I get the brew going.

P.S. do you know why lme is so expensive?

Edited by guest1957

Well of course opinions are fine but unless one has a taste then one can not be spot on........

Well Malc, the Fixby Gold first tasting turned out pretty good! Yahoo! I didn't know what to expect but it was good. Well worth the trouble. In the meantime i've done a batch of Colne Valley bitter which so far looks good in the bottle.

Some of the pubs around here are charging £3.60+ a pint which is a joke when one can brew and party at home.

Edited by Whitebridges