Homebrewing

Zapp

Hi , Primary fermentation needs ideally a temperature between 20c and 25c for the yeast to work properly, so when you make the kit in the fermentation bin 2 weeks at this temperature should see the fermentation complete. siphon into bottles or pressure barrel after this (I prefer pressure barrels less messing about). I then leave mine for further two weeks at 20c -25c secondary fermentation. I then transfer the barrel to my out house which is cool and store covered on a shelf until the beer clears, start drinking ! I have about three on the go at one time. some of my beer is 4 months old and still good to drink, longer you leave the more it improves the flavor. 

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got this advice from a brewing forum.

Find a tub the Fermenter will fit in, put the full Fermenter in and fill the tub with water at 20°c and get a cheap 100 watt aquarium heater for £9 off E-bay. Put this in the water and, using a thermometer, set the heater thermostat to maintain 20°c

You need 2. 23lt fermenting tubs  and 80 glass bottles cider are ok [ you can get these out of the road side recycling box or ask mates to save ] it will ferment with out a heater .just takes a bit longer not bad when weather warm .only use mine in winter .been making larger for about 6-7 yr easy to set off .but a bit time consuming to bottle .keep larger for around 12 month .made cider also hardest part is getting bottles dear to buy .go to local pub and ask if you can have used bulmers cider bottles they hold a pint be careful some bottles don’t .it takes about 7-8 days to ferment .then bottle .stand in warm place to second ferment.i normally leave a week then it is ready to drink .when you have bottled it start another off then you will always have a supply in stock .i would say a garage is too cold .just stand in corner off a room you don’t use all the time 

Edited by Guest

• 8 months later...
Guest cookoff013

New year, old hobby.

I just kickstarted a weirdo home brew. It was a cider 2 tin kit and a tin of cherry wine concentrate. The idea was a flavourful cider based drink. There was sugar added too. I used levin champagne yeast.

It went off like a rocket.

The only weirdo thing I did was to use ashbeck water as my water is ****

13 hours ago, cookoff013 said:

Headspace? It fermented fine.

Extra headspace in the bottle?

Sorry - Thought the reference to "It went off like a rocket" meant you had a mini erupting foam volcano on your hands!!

Generally, when you've got that much fermentable content (the kit, the concentrate and the sugar) with a champagne yeast as well, I'd expect seriously aggressive fermentation and would use the biggest bucket I have so that there is enough headspace over the liquid to give the fermentation room to bubble and grow - Otherwise the airlock just gets clogged up or even blown out.

What strength did it end up at?

Guest cookoff013

It went off like a rocket, not much yeast lag. The levin-118x yeast didnt foam at all, but went amazingly good. It probably the best ferment I ever did. Strong, and went through the coldest nights this year.

As for%. I dont know. But maybe 10% ? Alot of carbohydrates went in.

As I sit at the airlock, it smells of apple and Alcohol. No sulphur. I now doubt how cherry it would taste. As that in hindsight, its a tiny amount that went in there.

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve had a 3 year hiatus from brewing after I moved house.  Man cave etc was quite down on the priorities list.  I eventually got my shed up (8’x24’), converted a section into my home office and the rest is beer, shooting and fishing related space.  I made the brewery kit some years ago and it’s made some good beer - I usually make smaller batches but it will produce up to 70 litres at a time..  I’ve just finished plumbing it in so the vessels fill from a mains feed rather than having to use hoses or lift heavy sloshing tanks about..  I’ve a couple more tweaks to make but hopefully should be up and  brewing in a week or so.  Must say I’ve really missed it and can’t wait to get back started.

C99DEEAC-287C-44BE-A3EB-1EB147B3A662.jpeg

D32087EF-0DFE-42D7-AE95-BE319584D28C.jpeg

43 minutes ago, Fatcatsplat said:

Now that I absolutely love!!!

Best Christmas present I got this year.....  it was incredibly well wrapped in bubble wrap so the penny dropped it was a mahoosive Cross cut saw before I saw the detail, I had a good couple of minutes trying to maintain a smile whilst unwrapping it whilst thinking ‘what the hell has she bought me one of these for?’

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest cookoff013

brewing success

well. after i did the cider champagne it went in the bottle for a few weeks. i tried it and it was dire, absolutely awful.

i waited a few more weeks, infact more than 10 weeks in the bottle, and tried it, again as i just wanted a drink.

it came out way better than i ever thought. there are no hints or tasted of the added flavours but the final result is a dry cider, it has that champagne taste, and is a delicious drop. it was lightly carbonated though. (i planned that.)

well worth a go.

i thought it was doomed.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I’ve just made the first batch of beer since getting around to building my man cave.  A batch of stout which should be ready to drink in a couple of weeks.  A good friend of mine has a problem with gluten so I’ve added some finings to this brew which effectively cancel out the gluten down to a level where it could legally be termed as gluten free. 

3D8C80AF-9C28-4F7D-86FB-0673E01E7979.jpeg

• 10 months later...
On 16/09/2020 at 08:57, SpringDon said:

Started Apple pressing yesterday with my new press which I only finished the day before. Went quite well, six and half gallons from one press. Just need a few tweeks to the press racks then I’ll be off. 40 gallons last year so I’m hoping to beat that handsomely.

That’s a fantastic press mate! I wanted to build a press but my wife said she’d get me one.  The 5 litre capacity little basket press that turned up wasn’t quite what I was looking for 😀

• 1 month later...
Guest cookoff013
On 25/10/2020 at 13:43, bruno22rf said:

Been a good 25 yearts since I made homebrew - got all the gear so anyone recommend a good kit to start me off - I tend to prefer Hobgoblin syle Ales but I'm willing to give anything a go.

st peters kits are good, 
most kits are made by one company and it is made to specifications. i hear wherry is good. i douby you`d find a beer close to hobgoblin.

its a ruby ale. 

can i suggest a nice drop..

https://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/acatalog/Muntons_Gold_40_pint_Docklands_Porter_Beer_Kit.html

the only addition i might add, is a little more sugar (not much, under 500g) and use an 11g yeast packet, or use a yeast starter method. 

my next brews will not be 11% monsters. probably thinner, session.