Homebrewing

Zapp

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all,

Cider is my poison. I had permission this year to ravage an orchard and we made just shy of 100 gallons, way up on the 30 odd last year.🍻

The wife and I have made loads of country wines over the years. Blackberry is a good one, Rhubarb too! Nettle on the other hand is not fit for human consumption!

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/11/2020 at 15:16, Applepress said:

Hi all,

Cider is my poison. I had permission this year to ravage an orchard and we made just shy of 100 gallons, way up on the 30 odd last year.🍻

The wife and I have made loads of country wines over the years. Blackberry is a good one, Rhubarb too! Nettle on the other hand is not fit for human consumption!

Well done for making drinkable rhubarb, every time I tried it took the enamel off your teeth. But then I always make dry wines which can be tricky. Favourite is elderberry with a bit of raisin.

Im jealous of your cider, I made 65gallons and (until now) thought I’d done well. Wish I could get a bigger oak barrel as it always seems to taste better out of wood.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest cookoff013

Ok.

so i have progress. First with the clementine wine, it was a funny primary ferment, wish i had done it in a bucket. I lost tons of wine as trub. I ended up with 2.5 litres. It was messy, glad i did it in a dj in a fermenter, I put that in secondary for 4 weeks. stopped after about 3. Calculated at 18%. I just annoyed it didnt go smooth. Next time i will maybe double -triple extract the sugars from. the raisins. Used high abv wineyeast. I think its 16% though.

second i got a st peters honey porter on the ferment, its been a week but the ferment has slowed right down i am just leaving for another week then bottle.

ive been thinking about upgrading my fermenter size so can do more beer. Also i have a wine kit coming, i cant wait to get that going. 

Anyone here got a big fermenter?  

Guest cookoff013
57 minutes ago, Fatcatsplat said:

You can get a 50 pint fermenting bucket in Wilko's or the Range for around a tenner

I was more thinking 60litre or 120 pint.

2 hours ago, Fatcatsplat said:

Two buckets?

Plus one here.  Once you get above 30 litres it becomes a bit of a logistical challenge shifting it about unless you can mix the kit, ferment then keg/bottle from the same location.  It’s a lot of weight to have sloshing about if you need to lift and carry it.  I have a large fermenter but I can pump the wort into it whilst it is sat in a fermenting fridge and transfer it into kegs from the same spot.  If you can’t do this, it genuinely is worth considering two buckets.  

I’m a glutton for a gadget. Bought a Pinter and just opened my first brew tonight.  It’s slightly cloudy as I got a glug when first pouring and unsettled it, as the valve was blocked.  It clears quickly in the glass so should be clear tomorrow. 
Very easy way to start. 

Condensation on the glass increases the cloudy look 

6BFD203E-929D-48CC-85AD-CA6822ACC998.jpeg

Edited by markm

• 3 weeks later...
Guest cookoff013

Just started a nebbio wine by beverdale. 6 bottle kit. Its going very well.

Got 40 pints in bottle, some dodgy wine about to be good.

My next plans are a wine kit or beer kit.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest cookoff013

Up date.

my honeyed porter has just come into bottle condition. It tastes absolutely great. I tried it last week, but its just come good. My wine fermeted for 3weeks, its stabilising now and finings will be added soon. Kesersol and chitosan. My clementine wine was a bit pokey. It offered out of body experiences. I had to have a lie down. Flavour changed. Cant say it tasted bad. But there was something missing.

I will try and do some more beer or a big vat of wine. Its storing the stuff thats an issue. 

Im having lots of fun actually.

I have enough space for about 60bottles. 

Incidently i gassed my porter with only 1/4tsp of sugar per pint as i dont like gassy beer, especially dark. I also used yeast nutrient, and it fermented very well, good lees (DAP +micro nutrients). I will do it again. It was 1tsp per 2gal.

Im still using bottled water. I could start thinking about campden my water, but i brew when i can so order the water in.

I feel the yeast nutrient and decent water has improved my brewing. I have been getting advice from zapp about sanitisation. I want to avoid using chlorine sanitisation. I might move over to no rinse sanitise. Or try and limit that residual chlorine odour. Vwp is pungent. 

I was thinking of going all grain, but i lost my job, money was and is tight.im employed now. I still might have a go, but micro scale. 5litre 3.5%. Bitter just to have a go.

Anyone else having brewfun?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest cookoff013

update.

my porter is fantastic and i am going to start again with another porter "john bull". i need to get the bottled water and ill start. 

i did think about getting a new big fermenter, i ideal would like, but think i`ll have to settle for a normal 5 gallon, and have the luxury of moving it around. i like the wine fermenters, i have a couple of buckets. as it it is. 
it might pay off because it would be ideal to rack off my wine.

i ideally want to play with allgrain. but its a way off yet. i have a few things, i`d need to get a burner, gas, a boiling pot, and a pot with lid to be used as a mash tun. 
my goal is to do a hobgoblin clone. 

and maybe kingoblin with some added spraymalt

13 minutes ago, cookoff013 said:

my goal is to do a hobgoblin clone. 

When you've done the dishes, drain the water into a barrel and throw some yeast in - Instant Hobgoblin clone!!!

Only kidding - Can't stand the stuff now. Another beer where they seem to have changed the recipe and not for the better - Same as Ruddles County and Marston's Pedigree.

If you want to go all grain, maybe look at brew in a bag - Much smaller batches, so less outlay, but you can mess about with  different recipes and styles

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/03/2021 at 19:32, markm said:

I’m a glutton for a gadget. Bought a Pinter and just opened my first brew tonight.  It’s slightly cloudy as I got a glug when first pouring and unsettled it, as the valve was blocked.  It clears quickly in the glass so should be clear tomorrow. 
Very easy way to start. 

Got myself a pinter or 3 too. All 3 beers brewed easily and tasted lovely. The Weiss Nights was absolutely spot on. Stars and stripes is nice and fresh and would be great on a summer's day. The Fresh Republic is a nice light lager, another lovely sunny day drink.

I've now got about 20 pints I need to shift before I can brew again, bad timing on my part. Ah well :)

7dIbxxbHNjG75pPYlNvL1ZSyTKgPrN2BtHQVCcyA8Wi3Z1f_ktEXHOFsxYlHb4fcpQ7A2guQFO09uthFfq9qCRzZJ1hMjKlmFnoPEGhrIV7ctlZuf1gK5g3PwATzjHdx8YE23Pp0jTdDbyz0HlrCQ8l2YnsKJMczSgHbEbmkvqp2b8yKxn9HrAOV6agX5f-U5o8_mkbOQY5mnD_NIY3h95sovIsDqzduAvzTokzK4jTkN5mWObIglftD_0p2uvoQHxxGA0Wx_5IoqGBhWnLNQ4nojFUlpVOfdvnVAL-WuVdMnM5oJxsVR3vNhMfPuju1Mt5q3ktpVwE6-yJYnB-34sqzrDnU0rpVEgSScMZLjV-bhEM--OlDdJZ5vxAebbhGh867Jx7_mB6OcdTtY30FhXQVuzplIEWrzoMCaqwwbRCW1fYn0R6pgpYFZvN3jNmssRHNj-rOdnGpjUb1_wqC0Dqb9yRX1S1N-DFo-YIxfijSxSVC5ZaIgFd-AB8Eqc7EWM1cAN-K_b7ComIhW4O5AeER80XWJmdObgzg82-CA1Gyvr2CjKMkZcVejBndJcfbAiKcXGrxK2JsGHc4D7hGFQyXafIhDNOi_FoGqnyVWq1aZ_Qx4pwmhFH2YF5FDtRnWhn3e3BHz8qMDf4rpt0P7DD5bSsjg6JHEXQZX150bD8jFL9CziQ_FeSazMELh_51wfQLBRWPg9d897yiGVDZQv3r=w1600-h721-no?authuser=0

Guest cookoff013

well my double "john bull porter" has been put in the bottles. i can honestly say the fermentation went off like a rocket. i used some yeast nutrient. and it made the fermentation aggressive. it tried to take over the world. 2 weeks in the fermenter and it was looking good. smelled fantastic. 
i bottled it and couldnt help trying a mug full. > it tasted great out the fermenter. 
bottled with 1/4 tsp as its calculated to about 6%
just the job really.  

• 1 month later...
Guest cookoff013

Ok,

so im just having a good think about abusing some more kits.

i love john bull porter, my next tweek would be to have some fun with syrup. Ive always used malt extract kits. My first brew was with glucose. I want to use lyle golden syrup. I know it will ferment dry.

It is .77 sugar. Meaning 1.2 kg per 40pint brew.

Sounds extreme ? I think it can take the flavour.

I have just done a saison with some as a first punt. 

Any input?

Guest cookoff013
On 30/07/2021 at 12:55, cookoff013 said:

Ok,

so im just having a good think about abusing some more kits.

i love john bull porter, my next tweek would be to have some fun with syrup. Ive always used malt extract kits. My first brew was with glucose. I want to use lyle golden syrup. I know it will ferment dry.

It is .77 sugar. Meaning 1.2 kg per 40pint brew.

Sounds extreme ? I think it can take the flavour.

I have just done a saison with some as a first punt. 

Any input?

Bottling tomorrow.

Guest cookoff013

My saison smelled exellent. It was a low abv version.

a good stint in the bottle should sort it out. But tasted just like a Saison. I might even try this again. 

that yeast is amazing.