Two Night vision sights

NV foxer

I was half believing your story until you said your mate could see them with his N550 :lol: now I know either you need a new range finder or a new set of glasses. There is no way any N550 can see a rabbit at 400+ yards and I dont care how many people saw it I just dont belive you after that statement. :no:

Well theres not a lot i can do to make you believe what i've said but its all true! Your more than welcome to come visit and take a look through the longbow,i've watched rabbits a few times past 400 yards. As for the N550,i couldn't believe it could see that far either,made me wonder why i had spent so much on the longbow!

The moon phase on the 24th was near zero, practically no moon at all, + the weather.

No mention of a IR Illuminator....in fact I doubt you would see any rabbits at all with out one..?

Which Longbow have you got.?

He does say he used the Quantum Firefly IR.

Yes i would like to know Which Longbow he has too so NV Foxer which unit is it ?

G2+ Commercial

SuperGen 2+

SHD-3

XD-4

XR-5

Generation 3 Filmless

Your saying the longbow isn't the best NV but its one of the most expensive on the market and you are advertising on a public forum that this unit can see and identify a rabbit at over 400 yards and see it that good that you can shoot it, i'm having trouble believing your claims with the NV also you have not mentioned the rifle you used.

People read these forums for advise on what to buy and you are not helping with this sort of statement, i help a lot of people who wish to purchase NV and give the best advise possible, people like you give people the wrong impression on NV and what the capabilities are.

Well thats your thoughts and if you dont agree then thats fine,but im not given to lieing! I stand by all that i've said.I could see it was a rabbit and the background was safe! If people aren't happy shooting at longer ranges when they can see clearly and safely then they dont have to!

I'd seriously question the firefly at that range I know it works well to 200 but come on 400 yards either the rangefinder has very small legs or its pure fiction.

Must say I tried a cluelite with IR filter the other day with my archer and that was like daylight so you might manage 400 if you did the same with a lightforce 240 but no way with the firefly

I have never looked through a starlight longbow but i do have a D-830 2.5-10x56 with gen 3 pinnie tube very similar to longbow on a clearish night i can see rabbits as far as my mag allows more than 400+ over cast night i need use N1000 still good for 400+ but i limit my NV shooting to 300 on fox and 200 on rabbit due to wounding...but most are shot a lot less than said.

Edited by barrelsniffer

Im just going to do one last post on the subject of the rabbit i shot at 435,and yes it was a true account of what happend! I practice at ranges from 300-600 yards on all sizes of targets. I know what my rifle,bullet and scope combo is doing at all ranges from my inch hige zero out to 600 yards. And as i said in the first post,there was no wind,and thats the hard part of taking long distance shots,without any wind you can hit your target nearly every time if you know your bullet drop! As for if i could see clearly if it was a rabbit,all i can is that if i couldn't i would not have taken the shot. I dont shoot at eyes and always make sure i know what animal it is before i fire! im sorry if people think i made up a tall story just to big myself up,but it was the truth. I just thought some like minded shooters would like to hear of one of those shots that you pull off that stay with you for a long time.

I'd seriously question the firefly at that range I know it works well to 200 but come on 400 yards either the rangefinder has very small legs or its pure fiction.

Must say I tried a cluelite with IR filter the other day with my archer and that was like daylight so you might manage 400 if you did the same with a lightforce 240 but no way with the firefly

Listen al4x,i started off with an archer and the longbow is far better! I've got so much stick over the post i made about the rabbit i shot,but what i will say is that its the truth! it just seems that some people feel threatand about what i did,and thats a shame because it was one of those moments which you wont to share with other people because they dont happen that often! As to the range finder,its a zeiss,so one of the best out there! I,ve been shooting for forty years and find the negative comments about what i did disappointing as i joined pigeon watch to share the good and bad times when out shooting! What i will say is that i am more than willing to back up what i've already said i,ve done to anybody that has doubted my word!

You need to pay more attention mate.

Inch high zero, probably zero'd an inch high at 100 yards

then it's dead on at 200 yards for .243

Then he said he shoots out to 600 yards.

I zero my .223 the same way.

Thank you SAVAGE HMR,at last someone that dosen't think i'm lying through my teeth!

Oh dear what can i say, i was with NV Foxer when he shot the rabbit thats seems to have caused a bit of a stir.

May i add the main reason we were out was basicly to have a look at the n550 for me in the first place.

This is because we do alot of foxing, whether it is sitting up waiting / lamping and n/v stuff.

Anyway needless to say we were both well impressed with The N550 both in daylight and when it got dark.

I'm not really up to date with all the technology that goes with the nv stuff but nv foxer is quite well into it.

Not only that he has spent alot of money on quality equipment gone into what he has brought spent alot of time and effort into perfecting what he has got and what he does with it.

If anybody doubts what WE say they are more than welcome to come to Northampton and have a look at what we have got and come out with us.

It was nice to see some positive replies as well from people who obviosly know what they are talking about.

Basicly we met up had a look at each others kit had a few practce shots at targets, when it got dark had a look around for a fox saw nothing, had a look around with the 2 different nv's ir's spotter etc.

In one field there were alot of rabbits out and it was amazing to us all just how far and clear you could see them so far away.

Nv foxer has spent hours practicing different ranges, loading his own bullets, knows all about bullet drop etc (baffles me) and has got Quality kit.

He felt cofident he could see the target identify it which wasn't difficult as we had rangefinded them with the lamp dialed in took the shot and hit the target.

Nv foxer has got me shooting targets at over 500yds now something that i never thought i would be able to do but it has raised my confidence no end and i am looking into buying something like a Sightron s111 to make things a bit easier still.

Like i said anybody is more than welcome to come down, compare, have a look at the kit, give advice and your opinion your very welcome.

Sorry to have gone on a bit but give nv foxer a ring he is a bloody nice, honest, genuine fella. Cheers Smokeyoakey

You need to pay more attention mate.

Inch high zero, probably zero'd an inch high at 100 yards

then it's dead on at 200 yards for .243

Then he said he shoots out to 600 yards.

I zero my .223 the same way.

Ok my bad apologies for that. I wasnt having a go or a dig just a mere question :yes:

Well done on the shot anyway :good:

EDIT: Oh and welcome to the forum

Edited by got_the_eye_in

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Thanks for sharing your efforts NV foxer and congratulations on what was clearly a superbly judged and executed shot.

If the kit is up to the job then it's all down to ability (and a bit of luck sometimes) at the end of the day. Anyone can sit there (especially behind their keyboards with their gimp masks still on from their latest visit to JimmySaville'swonderland.com) and throw up reasons all day as to why you couldn't/shouldn't/wouldn't but they're the ones that will be sitting there one day saying could have/should have/would have about their own experiences.

I'm a big believer in integrity and if what you say is true then ****ing good effort!

Greg.

P.S. Bring it on.