Roebuck stalking this week

M ROBSON

Been busy stalking for the last 3 days and despite the bad weather my season has started with a bang!

8-point gold medal,

6961241246_59249fedc7_z.jpg

IMG_0918 by mj robson, on Flickr

10-point silver medal,

6965973360_793dbed9dd_z.jpg

IMG_0926 by mj robson, on Flickr

Perfect gold,

6967864298_f96a3cf32d_z.jpg

IMAG0021 by mj robson, on Flickr

7115538677_9a3cda3c79_z.jpg

DSC_0674 by mj robson, on Flickr

6969459056_c8b40384b6_z.jpg

DSC_0677 by mj robson, on Flickr

7115540761_991b141838_z.jpg

DSC_0682 by mj robson, on Flickr

Seeing plenty of really nice bucks about, I hope next week is just as good.

Cheers,

Mark.

i dont know about deer stalking....... care to elaborate on what is a silver or gold and what points are ...what makes a beast a medal

just for us who know nothing ...and what would it cost to stalk

best regards

john

Weight and volume make up the vast number of points used to score a roe head,with length,span,pearling,coronets,colour,tine ends and regularity and quality making the rest.Sure someone will post a link to explain all.If you get your own ground it can cost next to diddly squat.

I didn't think this week could get any better.......until this morning!

2 very old medal class bucks with WET weights of 684g and 706g!!!!!

The right hand buck was shot just 200 yards away from were we shot the 10-point silver earlier in the week.

6977930632_8a98bab329_c.jpg

DSC_0704 by mj robson, on Flickr

7124013011_6e98eb47e3_c.jpg

DSC_0703 by mj robson, on Flickr

Cheers,

Mark.

Thanks John :good:

It's certainly been a great start to my season, I've had 10 bucks so far and 6 have been medal class.

I tend to start my season looking for the big stuff as once you've been over the ground a few times the disturbance can push the big old bucks into hiding, it's not always the case but it doesn't take too much to upset some of these secretive beasts.

I then spend a few weeks shooting yearlings with less than 4 points and more importantly big old bucks that are past it or never going to make the grade. I don't shoot many bucks in the 2 - 3 year bracket, of which we have lots.

However, I will shoot anything that needs shooting due to poor condition at any time.

These 2 bucks this morning are old and have very dense antler, in the fur I would have said top end silver and top end Bronze but it looks like they will each be a medal class higher than I thought. Interestingly they had larder weights of 16kg and 22kg!

Hope your season goes well for you.

Cheers,

Mark.

Gone well considering the rain.

17 bucks and a 3 legged doe. But only 3 x6 pointers been shooting smaller beasts in velvet. Some big bucks appearing saw 3 last week so hopefully they will stick around for the danes.

My season beacuse of my eyes didn't start till the 9th so done well... Thank god I bought a Harkila pro-hunter coat and ordering the trousers now. Been kept dry as snuff.

There certainly are some nice bucks showing, a keeper friend on a nearby estate has a client out this week and they have done very well with medal bucks.

It's been strange though as I'm seeing a range of different behaviour on ground near together. Some big bucks are still in groups of 10+ along with other hard antlered bucks, yet others are on their own and chasing small bucks, haven't seen any propper fights yet though. The big buck we shot at 06:00 this morning was chasing a young Doe all up and down a field, they wre round and round for 10 minutes before he stood still for a shot! :blink:

Cheers,

Mark.

Edited by M ROBSON

I didn't think this week could get any better.......until this morning!

2 very old medal class bucks with WET weights of 684g and 706g!!!!!

The right hand buck was shot just 200 yards away from were we shot the 10-point silver earlier in the week.

6977930632_8a98bab329_c.jpg

DSC_0704 by mj robson, on Flickr

7124013011_6e98eb47e3_c.jpg

DSC_0703 by mj robson, on Flickr

Cheers,

Mark.

Brilliant work Mark, that's some start :good:

Hopefully get something similar next month :D

Thanks guys. :good:

Just got word back from Denmark about the first 2 bucks. They have been force dried for a few days now and were given a provisional score in Denmark of 134 & 135 cic. They might loose a another 5-10 grams but not much more so shouldn't differ too much when the propper score is given.

Cheers,

Mark.

Cracking heeds right enough Mark although a 10g loss could easily make a huge difference to the medal outcome.Thats 1 point for dry weight lost,and if the volume has the same 10g loss thats another 3 points gone so could be tucky.Still seeing groups too but here its usually May before they really split and maybe the bad weather has kept them in company for a wee bit longer.