Skeet chokes

pin

Was down Stealths local shoot and had a crack at skeet for the first time this past weekend. Wasn't expecting skeet so I had my normal does-the-lot 1/4 and 1/2 chokes and 7 1/2 carts. Did ok, 15 on the first round, then managed to find a box of ely first's in no9 so had the second card with them and got 20 which for my second go I was happy with.

One of the lads there was an amazing shot, straighted both cards, really nice lad plenty of advice from him etc. Apparently for skeet you want "skeet" chokes and no9's.

So, I have a beretta 686 onyx 30" jobbie, and was advised teauge chokes are worth buying, any comments on that? If so, where's best to get them?

personally i find that the difference between 1/2 and skeet is not a big concern at the ranges on a skeet layout. It wont however hurt to have skeet fitted.

Teages are very good, ive been using them 2 months now and breaks are deffinatly more consistant and patterns do seem larger than standard chokes (shot more evenly spread out over a larger area, as opposed to a small tightly bunched pattern which the factory throws)

I would doubt you would see much difference on skeet as the range is pretty short, but as i said earlier it cant hurt.

They are about £35ish per barrel from shops.

RUAG distribute them.

personally i find that the difference between 1/2 and skeet is not a big concern at the ranges on a skeet layout. It wont however hurt to have skeet fitted.

Cheers for the info. I have no idea how much difference it would make, but with a more open choke I think my pattern would be a little more open which can't hurt. Reading up a little more I see there are external and internal ones too (boggle). As far as I can tell the external ones do something called "wad stripping" which I assume means catching hold of it to slow it down on the way out to let the shot pattern better?

Same old thing though I think, point the gun in the right place and pull the trigger at the right time and the clay breaks - I guess whatever choke you have :good:

skeet chokes are a definate bonus, if you want to do well then there is no point in handicapping yourself. im not a fiddler when it comes to chokes, but for skeet i always switch chokes. i like to use skeet + 1/4 rather than both skeet, but i think thats largely down to mind games on my part :lol:

i recommend teagues as well, great chokes :good:

For pigeon or clays (sporting for me normally) I won't fiddle with chokes. I have seen my gun break targets I can't with those chokes so I aint gonna fiddle.

Skeet just seemed different, they are close in and moving, so a wider pattern isn't going to harm, I thought :good:

For pigeon or clays (sporting for me normally) I won't fiddle with chokes. I have seen my gun break targets I can't with those chokes so I aint gonna fiddle.

Skeet just seemed different, they are close in and moving, so a wider pattern isn't going to harm, I thought :good:

Pin,

Paulos is dead right, Skeet & 1/4 is fine for English Skeet, ignore those who say that they shoot 3/4 & Full at everything, 'cos they're not serious skeet shooters, all of whom will always shoot the widest chokes they can..!!

Cat.

Cheers for the replies..

I think I will order some teagues and see how I get on. Just glad I enjoyed skeet, didn't fancy it before but it is actually really good fun :lol:

good on you Pin, skeet is a great disipline to learn, you pick up all sorts of knowledge on angles through shooting on a regular basis, i use it to have fun as well as teaching new shooters the techniques, see if you can shoot handicap skeet at your venue, check first please, we shoot all station's approx 15-20 ft back, other than 1+7, certanly changes the game up.

glad to hear your having fun, keep it up :good:

Martin

• 2 weeks later...
I use cylinder and improved cylinder for skeet, as far as I am aware most Beretta multichokes are supplied with these so you should have them.

I did some reading and its the us vs uk way things are said thats confusing me. From another post on here :-

1 notch = full

2 notches = imp mod or 3/4

3 notchesw= mod or 1/2

4 notches= imp cylinder or 1/4

5 notches = cylinder

So thats quater and cylinder according to the UK way of saying things? I will give those a try too.