Any roofers out the

BangBangNik

My knowledge of roofs is limited to they go on top of your house and stop the rain coming in. I need some work doing to my barge boards and ridge tiles and obviously don't want my pants pulling down over the price. So far I have only got one quote and wondered what the more knoledgable thought about it. I'm hopeing to get some more quotes early next week so this one isn't definate. Here is what I have so far:

Repoint/seat all ridge tiles-£200(my roof has an apex so there are two peaks to my roof If that makes sense)

I have been told the bulk of the wood on the barge boards is ok and there is no point in replacing the whole lot, just cladding the good stuff in pvc and replacing the bad. So cover boards and sofets £320 for white, £420 for brown

Scaffolding-£200 max.

Total for white is £720

Total for brown is £820

I'm sorry I this makes no sense but as I say I really don't know anything abou roofs.

Alternately if there are any roofers near to colne want to have a look and give me a quote please pm me.

Thanks for looking

Nik

Edited by BangBangNik

not sure about the price but it is unwise if your going to be at the address for the long term to clad the existing wood facia , the old wood sweats under it and then rots over time ,better to replace the lot while you have splashed out on the scaffolding.

Thanks for the reply's.

not sure about the price but it is unwise if your going to be at the address for the long term to clad the existing wood facia , the old wood sweats under it and then rots over time ,better to replace the lot while you have splashed out on the scaffolding.

Hmm some food for thought there. I will look into this. Thanks.

You want them to take the ridge off and re-bed them on.

Pointing over the top of old morter is only cosmetic and will fall out in a couple of year's.

I would strip your barge board's and put the 20mm thick plastic one's on. :good:

The price seem's ok including scaffold.

As said above,do not repoint the ridge,what they really meant was they will make loads of money to smear some mortar over the top that will have fallen out by next year.Have them take the rdge tiles off and rebed them,they will need scaffold to do this to comply with the working at height regs of the h & s act,to which you have a legal burden as well because you are instructing them to do the works and could be held responsible.

The barge boards will need to be removed and replaced with the thicker white plastic boards because of reasons already stated previously,if at the same time you are having the facia boards done,watch out they dont cheat by not doing the sarking felt properly,i have seen so many done wrong.

As for price,it depend what your local chaps are charging,so get several and quiz them as to what they will do and how,make sure the fixed price quotation is itemised.

Before they start,check in the loft to see if you have any holes,then after they finish/before payment have a look again and see if they have put feet through your felt.

Ste eibar is bang on,

Must take all wood off,

Replace with 20mm thick upvc

Vented sofits

And install gutter gaurding.

Gear and labour £30 a liniar meter (fsg) all in.

£22 a liner meter (fs)

They take all **** away

This is bang on advice and price...

As you haven't give any measurements here I can't say if you price is good or bad, work to above price. This is fair price for the best gear and good fitter.

Best of luck