Poor Chambering in CZ .22lr

dead-eye-dick

I have just added a .22 CZ Siluette to my collection, I tried 50 eley plus subs and more often than not the bullet heads were being squashed when the bolt is completely shut.

I went to buy some Winni's but was told they are on 'back-order' so tried CCI - the heads on these are even bigger :good:

I have since tried a second box of Eley, brought at the same time as the first and these SEEM ok.

Has anyone else experianced this, ?

bad batch or rifle bedding in..?

I have just added a .22 CZ Siluette to my collection, I tried 50 eley plus subs and more often than not the bullet heads were being squashed when the bolt is completely shut.

I went to buy some Winni's but was told they are on 'back-order' so tried CCI - the heads on these are even bigger :good:

I have since tried a second box of Eley, brought at the same time as the first and these SEEM ok.

Has anyone else experianced this, ?

bad batch or rifle bedding in..?

Don

Have you a photo showing the damage to the bullet head ..........Do you cycle the bolt and load the round quickley and is the spring fairly new in the ammo clip ?

I would say due to the flatter end of the Winnies that they'd foul on the breech more unlike the rounded eley's

deadeye, could be right , does the feed ramp have machine marks that cause the damage, on most of my guns with machine marks i get some rouge and a dremel with a polishing mop and bringth efinish into a more suitable tolerance, around 4 micro looks like a mirror, all rounds feed up smothly after.

Martin

What actually happened was,

I could feed the round from the mag or by hand into the breech. The bolt went foward fine BUT when you pulled it 'down' into the locked position it was really stiff. You can then eject the round, without firing, and there is a thin shiney ring just before the sealing ring where its been 'touched'.

Another guy at the range said he had a simular problem with Eley and the new 40grn CCI, he gave me some of his winchesters to try, all chambered fine both manually and from the mag.

I went to the shop for winni's to try but all they had were 40g CCI, which just compairing with the Eley are thicker headed.

I had a second box of Eleys with me and tried those, all seemed to chamber fine and fly straight (bearing in mind the rifle had only fired around 60 rounds by then)

It may also be worth mentioning some of the first box lifted in the mag and caught the reciver (this was not cause of the deformed heads) but the second box seemed fine.

I would put it down to a bad box, but people tell me after x amount of rounds they have had no prob's with Eley.

Is there anyone who could post a pic of Eley, Winchester and CCI to compare head size/width.

Thanks Graham

Are you sure it wasn't the rim thickness that was the problem :rolleyes:

G.M.

If you mean the rim of the case, Yes as the lead bullet was damaged upon ejection,

If you mean the rim of the bullet - I think that is at fault.

The nose of the bullet at the front is called the “Ogiveâ€, and the sides of the nose where it fits into the case is the “Cannalureâ€. The rim of the ammo is on the base of the case, which is where the primer is in a .22rf, and this determines the “Headspace†on a rimfire case. :rolleyes:

Some cases such as the CCI are longer than Eley and won’t fit the chamber of some rifles.

If you have a nice tight chamber then leave it alone and find ammo that shoots well in it. :sick:

G.M.

The problem I have with my .22 CZ Varmint is extraction of the unfired round. I was advised on a US site not to use CCI ammo, but the Eley Subs I now use cause the same problem. Edgar Bros advised using fine emery at the start of the rifling, because there might be a burr!!

The US site said I was better with the bullet engaged with the rifling as it may add to the accuracy, and to fire any round left in the rifle into a safe backstop, before leaving the field. These days, as I get to the end of the outing, I tend to push the bolt forward whilst carrying the rifle, only closing the bolt when I am ready to take a shot. I was loath to send the rifle back to Edgar Bros because the emery work put me off, plus I heard about this problem being difficult to put right and, in one case, another rifle was despatched, thus requiring FAC variation. In every other way my .22 CZ Varmint is very accurate and I don't have any problems with my CZ Varmint in .17HMR.

Some cases such as the CCI are longer than Eley and won’t fit the chamber of some rifles.

If you have a nice tight chamber then leave it alone and find ammo that shoots well in it. :rolleyes:

G.M.

It just suprises me alittle that given the good name of Eley for manufacture and quality the first 50 rds hung-up and sprayed everywhere, the next seemd fine.

I would put it down to a new rifle if the bolt hadn't been so hard to shut and the bullets marked.

I feel unconfident that the next Eley bullet will not be damaged and wizz off into the unknown.

Could it be that the breech has 'bedded in' ?

or are the dimentions on the Winchester smaller?