Not looking forward to this

lxtav

Fence between the garden and the field blew down in the 100mph winds at the start of the year as it managed to snap 8 four inch square posts at ground level. Was going to move the fence a bit further out at some point as it was a bit close to the greenhouses just not at the moment. However the posts were concreted about 3ft into the ground (was a six foot fence) so it was very sturdy as the horse liked to rib on it now and then. Now I've got to dig out the remains of the posts and the concrete then dig new holes for the new fence when I'm on holiday for the next three weeks.

Somehow don't think it is going to be much of a holiday having to do that especially as the wife if going on about getting the fence put back up so her horse can get back into that part of the field. Have to find some excuse for going shooting so I don't have to rebuild the fence. Maybe use the dog as an excuse not to do it as she likes getting a free run into the field from the garden to go after the rabbits when they see her and bolt.

Fence between the garden and the field blew down in the 100mph winds at the start of the year as it managed to snap 8 four inch square posts at ground level. Was going to move the fence a bit further out at some point as it was a bit close to the greenhouses just not at the moment. However the posts were concreted about 3ft into the ground (was a six foot fence) so it was very sturdy as the horse liked to rib on it now and then. Now I've got to dig out the remains of the posts and the concrete then dig new holes for the new fence when I'm on holiday for the next three weeks.

Somehow don't think it is going to be much of a holiday having to do that especially as the wife if going on about getting the fence put back up so her horse can get back into that part of the field. Have to find some excuse for going shooting so I don't have to rebuild the fence. Maybe use the dog as an excuse not to do it as she likes getting a free run into the field from the garden to go after the rabbits when they see her and bolt.

Get a post hole borer - about £20 from tool station - reduces concrete too :good: :good: .

D

Edited by Yellow Bear

You can buy bags of Quick drying Concrete made especialy for putting up fence posts, takes about 15-25 mins to set. Did mine last year, like you said hardest parts digging out the old posts and digging holes for the new. Get your misses on the end of the spade :D

Edited by -kev-

Put some electric fence up to keep the horse in an get out shooting. I dont envy you digging out/chopping out the concrete I would be inclined to "move the holes" to avoid the old concrete and use one of these as previously advised.

http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=109856&Referrer=froogle&gclid=COWB7oW54q8CFQ1lfAodAFFQAw

Plenty sand and cement lying around in the sheds so thats not a problem and it is going to be a wire fence as i am going to grow raspberry canes along it. Also got the tools to dig out the new holes so no probs there either. Its just getting the old concrete out as this will be in the way but probably able to rig something up with the tractor to help pull them out.

Hire a petrol post borer on done. I use a big sds hilti breaker and youl be away and running in no time. A rule of thumb for fencing is you want a third of what you can see in the ground so six foot post is two foot in the ground

Petrol post digger about £30 a days hire and few bags of stuff they call postcrete it's for nothing but posts you put it round the post and just pore water in and Tammper in a bit job done. Do it this way and you'll put in a lot of posts in a day.....

Yep, SDS hammer chisels are good, I get strong winds at the back, so I went for concrete posts & built my own panels to slot in, double stagger the boards with a 2inch gap so wind can ease thru. I shaped the tops with jigsaw, looks tidy, none of them cheap parachute panels from diy stores, they dont last two minutes. know what you mean tho first weekend it hasnt been lashing it down sod it have a few hours out with the gun, I know I am !! :yes: :yes: