Wood pigeon tips

captainhastings

Recently got my shotgun licence so managed too get a few pigeons in the freezer.

Any tips on getting the pigeon nice and tender ? So far I have tried roasting whole and after looking on the internet times varied between 10 minutes too 1 hour. I opted for about 40 minutes and the pigeon was well over done and like a tennis ball but still very tasty. Next I got a couple of breasts well oiled up then got back too the cooking ;) two breasts 2 1/2 minutes each side then rested. They were not as tough and a little bit on the rare side but tasted fine. But I would like them too be fall apart tender so I can make a nice pie. So I think for that maybe casserole them for a nice long time in some stock with the lid on for a couple of hours a bit like I would a beef shank so I can get my pie filling ?

I like roasted whole pigeon (when i can be bothered to pluck them). Put a knob of butter inside, and on the top, salt/pepper and possibly some streaky bacon on top too if you have it, Stand it on a small slice of dry toast then put in an oven at 200 degrees for no more than 25 minutes!

The toast catches all the lovely tasty dripping... delicious :good:

If i cook breasts i tend to marinade them whole in honey for a while then fry in melted butter on medium/high heat for about 3-4 mins per side...

Marinated in a mixture of sherry and figs also works well, fry the whole lot in butter for the same amount of time and you get a nice sherry/fig sauce too :good:

When I do breasts for a pie I Flash them in butter and olive oil both sides and pass them through the oven but I need them really rare next I pulse them in the food processor I then mix them with part cooked small diced carrot/turnip/potatoes/onions and peas along with the juice from the breasts I deglaze the pan with port or brandy. I then pop the lot into a pie dish and the rest was history. :good::rolleyes: Ps I use jus roll puff pastry it rises even if it hits the gravy.pps watch out for them getting marked down

in supermarkets I half them vacuum seal them and freeze till I need them.

• 1 month later...

Well tried them again tonight medium heat in the pan in butter / olive oil for 1 1/2 either side then in the oven gas 1 for 10 minutes

Had them with new spuds, asparagus and I did a mush room sauce.

They were just right the wife was enjoying them until she chomped down on a pellet :oops: she then found a further 2 pellets in hers so not good. As a rule I check them over but been getting lax my shooting is so bad as a rule I only hit them with the odd pellet. Sure most of them die of fear or more likely laughter :)

On the plus side I suppose my shooting must be improving

Pigeon breasts are best cooked either hot and quick as in other answers given above. Or for pigeon pie I do mine for 4 hours or more in a slow cooker before allowing to cool and laying on a pie crust. Also you need some fatty meat such as pork belly, streaky bacon to add succulance to the meat which can be dry. Method is into a tupperware box put two tablespoons seasoned flour and shake the meat in this untill well coated. Heat some goose fat in a large lidded pan and brown the pigeon meat and your pork etc all over. Remove and place in slow cooker, chop a couple of onions and soften these in the pan add more oil if required. Put the onions in the slow cooker once softened. Last time I also flung in some mushrooms, cellery and a slice of black pudding, crumble an OXO cube over all and give a good stir then pour in enough stock to cover the slow cooker contents. Cook on low for 4 six hours before allowing to cool and transfer to pie dish and enclose with pastry.

Blackpowder