2nd Buck of the season

Due to the bank holiday weekend, it gave me a chance to get out stalking for an evening and the following morning. Got to my ground around 6ish but had a northerly wind which changed my start point somewhat! Stalked to the bottom of the valley and after the amount of rain we’ve had it had washed those little twig that lie around making my approach very quiet for change! All along the valley edge the deer usually lie up during the day but as the vegetation hadn’t taken hold you can stalk down the valley looking for the deer on the banks. Once at the valley bottom I’ve found a nice spot to lie up with the wind in my face waiting for the roe to pass from one side to the other. After about 20mins a does jumps the fence in front about 25m away, giving me a fright as I was almost asleep! It doesn’t even spot me on the ground and trots away up the valley side to pasture at the top. Another 20mins and I see movement coming through the fence but around 300m down. I didn’t get a chance to see if it’s a buck or doe. Thinking it could be a buck I decide to stalk up the valley side to see if it’s made it to the pasture. Once there I see the does browsing the hedge but no other deer. Throught I should wait it out....No sign so head along the valley top to where it should have come out and around the corner we walk straight into one another, off he goes like a bat out of hell. Well with this and wind being wrong I decide to head to some fields a little distance away in the truck.

These fields are growing clover which the roe seem to be enjoying and the farmer would prefer they weren’t. Pulled into the gate way, got out slowly after scanning the field and seeing nothing. I had only walked 10 yard when a deer jumped up out of the grass and legged it away...thinking that there might not be much else I stalked on along the hedge line till a corner, looking around and seeing nothing. Now I could see all the fields and there appeared to be no deer. One more look to my left and two head popped up out the grass looking at me...two very nice bucks, one of which I’m sure would make a medal. Up they jump and run. The bigger of the two stops after 20m and looks back, I have the rifle up and on sticks but as I’m thinking I would rather the smaller one he’s off. Also heart was beating so hard I couldn’t keep the cross hairs on him! I’m quite pleases that I didn’t rush the shot and saved him for another day. :yes:

The next morning I follow the same route as before and seeing 6 does and no bucks start to think my luck is out. Then out comes this buck from the valley bottom but I’m not quite in the right spot I stalk around some brash, had the rifle on bipod and looking to line him up when for no reason he turns and walks back over the valley edge never to be seen again... :no: Well it time to head back to the clover fields again. Following the same route as last time I bump a deer but didn’t get a chance to catch what it was, but as I get to my corner again, I look round and there is a doe and buck lying down and it’s the smaller of two from yesterday. :good: Resting my rifle on a fence post the buck presents a nice neck shot at 30yards but I would prefer him standing, well luck was on my side....whilst leaning on the fence post the post pushes against my mag in the rifle, ‘click’ it drops to the floor! :blink: Up jump the deer and start to run. This gives me a chance to pick it up and in again by which time the buck stops for another look at around 80 yards. I make no mistake as he presents broad side. He runs 20 more yards and disappears into the long grass. Nice big animal which will make great eating. In all over the weekend on my stalking permission I saw 9 Bucks and 8 Does which is looking good and I didn’t manage to get around half of it.

post-12846-0-05726500-1336479217.jpg

post-12846-0-22284200-1336479232.jpg

post-12846-0-52587700-1336479270.jpg

Nice buck! Its great when it goes right, if it was easy it wouldnt be the same. Came off nights on sun am, went stalking and shot a nice young buck, while checking his teeth for age his baby premolar fell out confirming a yearling. Where in SW are you? Im in S Devon. Cheers Jon.

Edited by moor man

Nice buck! Its great when it goes right, if it was easy it wouldnt be the same. Came off nights on sun am, went stalking and shot a nice young buck, while checking his teeth for age his baby premolar fell out confirming a yearling. Where in SW are you? Im in S Devon. Cheers Jon.

Thanks, I did have hopes of it being a medal, but with the head cleaned out it looking very unlikely. :/ This is in north somerset.